Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift rod
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Shift rod Reply with quote

I have a '71 4 speed that the previous owner converted from auto stick. The shifting isn't very precise so I started to look at things. The major complaints are; hard to find second and first can be though to find also. It has a Berg shifter so I grabbed my Berg "Book of Instructions" and made a few adjustments. Little better. I also decided to take a look at the rod to trans coupler. The set screw was a little loose and the coupler looked a little twisted with lots of play. The coupler will get replaced. While I was looking at the coupler I did notice that just ahead of the coupler was some other sort of adapter/coupler. I just found a picture searching in the Samba classifieds of an auto stick shift rod and it has that adapter/coupler at the end.

Is there any difference with a 4 speed shift rod and the auto stick rod?

Olli
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod Reply with quote

If it reaches the coupler use it it's just a rod. Make sure your shifter side to side and front to back is centered before tightening down and your clutch has just 1" of free play when you push the pedal. If the coupler was loose that was probably the problem.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod Reply with quote

The auto stick rod is shorter than the 4 speed that is why it has the extra spacer.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
The auto stick rod is shorter than the 4 speed that is why it has the extra spacer.

So should I change it for the 4 speed rod to eliminate that extra coupler?

Olli

I need to ad that I spent quite some time reading threads on the conversion. Hard to gauge a real consensus about the rod. Some list the rod as part of the conversion and some don't. And then there was one thread where someone went off the deep end about how stupid it was to do the conversion....

Also, I just bought the car (it was listed here on The Samba) the pervious owner did the conversion. He never told me that it was converted. I figured that out on my own.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod Reply with quote

Olli from NJ wrote:
And then there was one thread where someone went off the deep end about how stupid it was to do the conversion....

Laughing
That's one of the threads I read trying to find info. Yes, there is conflicting info on the length but the AS rod is shorter. Trust me, I have been a part of many conversions Twisted Evil
Post a pic of your spacer but if it works it's your call to replace it or not. I saw one conversion where an extra shift coupler was welded on to make up the difference but heck, it worked
I wonder if your spacer is what is talked of here but it is NLA.
mukluk wrote:
I wouldn't go running away screaming just yet, there's nothing mystifying or truely unusual about '68s. The best fix would be to get a shift rod from a '68-'72 four speed bug, you can even reuse the Autostick shifter if you either cut a slot in the shift rod for the alignment pin on the shifter or you can just remove the alignment pin. The easiest fix would be to just buy and install a conversion coupler which is available from SoCal Imports here: Conversion Coupler

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod Reply with quote

I didn't take any pictures when I had the access plate off....I did find a picture in the classifieds for an A/S shift rod and that is what I have.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2144629

The part that I have never seen before is just ahead of the coupler. So, I'm not sure how the previous owner was able to shift for the last 7 years...I really don't think that he used that conversion coupler from SoCal. Without double checking, I can't say for sure. I just put the car away for the next couple of months so I can't take a quick look.

Here is a new link for the conversion coupler. Interesting. It looks like there is some extra length of collar welded on.

https://socalautoparts.com/shop/interior-parts/shi...onversion/

Since I think that it would be simply smart to change the rod bushing, which involves removing the shift rod. I will try and source a '68-'72 4 spd shift rod and install that along with a new coupler.

Olli
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod Reply with quote

Info on the part ahead of coupler
asiab3 wrote:
The Haynes manual mentions the neutral gate spring for Auto Sticks here:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

source a German or good quality coupler and stay away from the urethane ones,
they transmit more noise.
shameless plug, I have some good German couplers Wink

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod Reply with quote

I did see #18, spring laying inside the tunnel. I wondered what that was from...

Olli
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod Reply with quote

I have never seen the spring num 18 or the spacer num 20. What years did these appear on? Where does the spring attach to?

Thanks
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod Reply with quote

I was able to get a '68-72 4 speed shift rod from Avery's Air Cooled. I will also be changing the shift bushing since I will be pulling the rod out. I am going with an oil impregnated bronze bushing vs the plastic bushing that I bought. Here is a link for the bronze bushing. Makes sense to me.
http://ev4unow.com/VWShiftRodBushing.html

Olli
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod Reply with quote

let us know about the noise/vibration level once installed.

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
let us know about the noise/vibration level once installed.

Rick, great point. Once installed I will post. It will be a while (couple of months?) though as I am up to my eyeballs in another project.

Olli
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod Reply with quote

How did the brass coupler work out?
Pretty sure this is on my winter to-do list.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: