Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkerb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

About a year ago, I made the very questionable decision of buying a 1977 VW transporter. It was converted to a camping bus by a company called “adventurewagen” back in the 70’s. This company added a fiberglass high top to their busses. The previous owner considered the high top “ugly” and took it to the dump. With a massive hole in the roof of his bus, he opted to buy a sheet of plexiglass and use sheet metal screws to screw it into the roof of the bus. When I looked at the bus, the price was reasonable and with my rose-colored glasses on, I managed to overlook this enormous hurdle and buy the bus anyway. About a year into the restoration now, it is coming up on my to-do list. I have come across 3 or 4 of the original high tops installed by adventurewagen online, but they’re usually in terrible condition, and pricey. I’m thinking I have a few options.
1- Bite the bullet, find an adventurewagen high top, and learn to repair fiberglass.
2- I could possibly install a westfalia pop-top into the bus? The dimensions of the hole are 41.5x45 inches. I couldn’t find the dimensions of a stock VW pop-top anywhere online. Could someone help me with that? Hopefully the dimensions of a VW top are larger so I could just cut out the screw holes and attach a new one somehow
3- I could possibly get a new piece of sheet metal welded over the hole. I couldn’t imagine it would be very easy to make this look nice but it might be my only option.
If anyone has any questions, other ideas, or the dimensions of a westy pop-top please comment on this post! Thanks so much.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

Riviera or sportsmobile penthouse?
walkerb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
Riviera or sportsmobile penthouse?

I’m sorry, I don’t understand. Are you recommending looking into putting a riviera pop top on the bus? That might be a good idea, I’d have to look into those types of busses some more. Thank you
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

yes, it is a penthouse top. they were on rivs and sportsmobiles .
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

sliding rag top

https://www.sunroofsource.com/68-79-vw-bus-46x48-sliding-ragtop-folding-sunroof-kit/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

Not sure how big your purse is, but maybe consider buying another bus as a parts bus and take the fiberglass top and other cool parts off the bus and use it on yours?

Here’s one:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2201273

Another:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1940108
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

You don't need to stick with the size of hole you have, or fill it right in. Decide what poptops you actually like and extend/fill in your hole to suit. I've done 3 conversions to Dormobile tops and one to a rear hinged Westy. All needed hole size adjustment but none were particularly difficult.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

This isn't a recommendation, but just an if-nothing-else-works idea...
There was a posting somewhere here in the Samba of someone who permanently attached an aluminum boat upside down on the roof. It looked like crap, but I guess it did the trick. Lol

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
This isn't a recommendation, but just an if-nothing-else-works idea...
There was a posting somewhere here in the Samba of someone who permanently attached an aluminum boat upside down on the roof. It looked like crap, but I guess it did the trick. Lol

omg I have to see this. I searched but came up dry. Anyone have more info to increase my keywords?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

Graft in a beetle carcass . Like the salesman in "Harry and Tonto"
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Graft in a beetle carcass . Like the salesman in "Harry and Tonto"

I like it.

I wouldn't cut up a good bus to do it, but if I had one in this situation, it seems like it'd be the perfect candidate!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
walkerb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
You don't need to stick with the size of hole you have, or fill it right in. Decide what poptops you actually like and extend/fill in your hole to suit. I've done 3 conversions to Dormobile tops and one to a rear hinged Westy. All needed hole size adjustment but none were particularly difficult.

When filling in the hole, did you just weld in a piece of 20 gauge steel? Did you have a metal shop bend the metal to the radius of the roof? Or did you just clamp it and count on the welds to hold the curvature? Thanks a lot.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

Now we're talkin, put a safari windshield and popouts in the bug for ventilation
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

walkerb wrote:
Zed999 wrote:

When filling in the hole, did you just weld in a piece of 20 gauge steel? Did you have a metal shop bend the metal to the radius of the roof? Or did you just clamp it and count on the welds to hold the curvature? Thanks a lot.
For side pieces I used a metal shop with rollers, for any other parts I had cut-outs from converting a couple of tintops. I know I shouldn't cut up tintops but over here a poptop bay is £5-10k more expensive, it's what the people want.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

Erb? Is that you?
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2133617
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Now we're talkin, put a safari windshield and popouts in the bug for ventilation

Looks like you could just open the rag top Wink

That is pretty cool. A little heavier than the fiberglass pop tops, but nothing an EJ25 can't push around. Laughing

My 1968 Campmobile
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

There's a really nice one near me for sale currently:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2116383
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! PO of bus got rid of high-top. Need advice. Reply with quote

That’s a sweet top and well worth a trip to Cali.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: