Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kombi kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

thanks to vintage warehouse here is my set up... hit up Greg, he does awesome work!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hRgFrrB9yQ&t=33s

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I asked god for my first VW, I know he doesn't work that way so I stole a bug and asked for forgiveness!

my "car guy 401k"
1963 kombi (now running and driving
1956 oval sad to see it go!
1966 ghia coupe
1963 bug (sold at prado)
1968 porsche 912
1964 super stock dodge factory light weight 426cu 425hp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

kombi kid wrote:
thanks to vintage warehouse here is my set up... hit up Greg, he does awesome work!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hRgFrrB9yQ&t=33s

Glad that worked out well for you.
Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ghrt73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I have a 58SC that I have installed a 68 type 3 trans.

I used the type 3 spring plates as a template and cut my originals (2 of the holes lined up already from the reduction boxes)

So now my problem is evident; I mocked up the install and at almost 20 degrees of camber on the axle tubes the spring plate travel is about half way.
I will notch them but can anyone please tell me how many notches to move the spring plates to achieve level (no camber)
I have never moved spring plates FYI

Tesla Model 3P
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

ghrt73 wrote:
please tell me how many notches to move the spring plates to achieve level (no camber)
I have never moved spring plates FYI

No one can tell you exactly how many "notches" to change your ride height exactly. You need to do the work to make it happen, or buy adjustable spring plates.

The "notches" are actually a combo of inner and outer splines on the torsion bar/spring plate/inner torsion tube interface. Each time you go one inner spline in one direction, and one outer spline the other direction, you change the ride height about 3/16". If you need to drop about an inch, do a combo of five splines and you will be there.

There are several threads on here explaining the process of adjusting the spring plates to raise or lower the rear of your bus (or bug, as the process is identical). If I could find the one I am thinking of, I would link it here. Hopefully someone else finds it sooner than I can.
ghrt73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Thanks for the help I am going to try a few degrees of rotation and try to get the axles close to level - 2 inches of so and see how that splines out.
With removing the GRBs I should need around 3 inches although I wish I could keep stock ride height but I don't see that possible without terrible camber so I am looking for some dropped spindles for the front also.

Thanks Again!
Tesla Model 3P
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

ghrt73 wrote:
Thanks for the help I am going to try a few degrees of rotation and try to get the axles close to level - 2 inches of so and see how that splines out.
With removing the GRBs I should need around 3 inches although I wish I could keep stock ride height but I don't see that possible without terrible camber so I am looking for some dropped spindles for the front also.

Thanks Again!

If you're going to do dropped spindles (I have sets built ready to go) you'll need more drop in the rear as well. Better to do the spindles then get the rear leveled out afterward.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Just switched out the rear shocks from oil dampened to KYB Gas-a-just.

Should have done this a long time ago. Ass end stays planted. No change in ride height.

Longer test drive to OCTO tomorrow morning!
SBS #00
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Ok i'm lost.

i have straight axle rear end with Type 3 drums, and i'm trying to find rims that would fit without a 1 inch spacers.

I really wanted smoothies, but the "stock" type are 5 1/2 " with +15 offset and 98 backspacing, which would make them touch the springplate (i think).

When i looked at my stock wheels with spacer, i had about 3" of backspacing, without too much room left.

Do i really have to go with Smitty's Smoothies to get a chance at them? or am i calculating wrong?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

You are wanting to use 15" smooth beetle wheels?

Your stock wheels are 14" bus for your 64?

4 lug or 5 lug drums?
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

4 lug or 5 lug drums?

15" on my bus currently.

i'm not sure if you'd consider them beetle wheel, since from the description, they are 5 1/2" width ;

http://store.concept1.ca/Steel-Wheel-15x5.5-5-205-Silver-SMOOTHIE-AA601142SP/

5x205 drums. its the type 3 62-65 i believe.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

4 lug or 5 lug drums?

15" on my bus currently.

i'm not sure if you'd consider them beetle wheel, since from the description, they are 5 1/2" width ;

The link would not work for me, but I am betting you need to measure really accurately, then find/make spacers to fit.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

use the spacers and longer wheel bolts. It's actually helpful when pulling the wheel off for a flat fix, etc.
Caged Hippy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Anyone have any stock RGB spring plates (211 511 205A) they want to get rid of? Message me if you do...
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Caged Hippy wrote:
Anyone have any stock RGB spring plates (211 511 205A) they want to get rid of? Message me if you do...

Boxes of them.
PM sent
Caged Hippy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
Caged Hippy wrote:

Boxes of them.
PM sent

PM'd back, THX!
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Enkiel wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

4 lug or 5 lug drums?

15" on my bus currently.

The link would not work for me, but I am betting you need to measure really accurately, then find/make spacers to fit.

So going more into mathematics....

Rims are 5.5" (139mm)
room between suspension component and face of drum is 6" (152mm)
backspacing is 98mm
Tire aimed for are 195/65/15.
Theorically, tire is 28mm larger on each side.
So i'd take my backspacing of 98mm, add 28mm, and i'm at 126mm.

Theorically, i'd still have 26mm of room. Are my math correct?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

this may not help you, but those wheels fit on a big nut bus with RGBs all day long with a 195/65/15

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
Theorically, i'd still have 26mm of room. Are my math correct?
distance between suspension and drum face - (backspace + tire overhang) = remaining space
152 - ( 98 + 28 ) = 26
Your math is correct.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDV wrote:
I think when you use a stock e brake cable (64-67), on a straight axle conversion you need both the adaptors which it looks like you have, and you need to carefully trim about 2" of the spring as well.

Stupid question but you trim on the side that sits onto the adaptor pipe right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:
JDV wrote:
I think when you use a stock e brake cable (64-67), on a straight axle conversion you need both the adaptors which it looks like you have, and you need to carefully trim about 2" of the spring as well.

Stupid question but you trim on the side that sits onto the adaptor pipe right?

it doesn't slide into it. it rests on a stop. the reason you have to trim the e brake cable spring is because the distance is different in type 1or3 rear brakes. the distance is much longer on the type 2 rear drum brakes and the spring would bind up if you don't shorten it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 92 of 100

Jump to: