Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inland23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

Hello, I picked up a 79 Super Beetle convertible that was sitting in a garage for 20 years. I replaced the following.

Fuel pump
Fuel Tank
Fuel Lines
Fuel Injectors
DBL Relay

The bug will start for 1 second then die. The cold start injector is working but the cyl injectors are not getting electricity. I've checked all the grounds but still wont start.

Any help?? Thanks!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

Are you sure you have adequately fuel and spark? Can you keep it running on carb cleaner?

My gut always starts going in one direction on these cars. Check for any cracked or broken vacuum hoses. Then you need to check fuel pressure and volume.

Basics first. Is the white wire at the coil connected to the 1 side?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

There is a Sticky in the upper portion of the first page of this forum. It’s for Fuel Injected Bugs. You might have good luck there.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

Check the resistor pack. Check the double relay. Check the coil terminals.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2185957

This is what the resistor pack looks like. It's located in the engine bay on the inside of the right rear fender behind the tar board.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

If indeed the injectors are not firing (have you verified this or are you just assuming this based on what the car is doing?), then my first suspect would be the wire in the FI harness that connects to terminal 1 (negative) on the ignition coil (same side as the condensor). This is the wire that supplies the rpm signal to the ECU. If the ECU does not get rpm signal, the injectors do not fire.

The cold start valve is not controlled by the ECU at all so it would not be affected.

The other thing I would check is to ensure that the ECU has a good ground. The ECU fires the injectors by grounding them so if the system ground points are gunked up (or missing), the injectors will not fire.

The series resistor pack is a good place to check as well, those wires like to fray and break.

Ensure that the double relay is doing its job and supplying power to the ECU when you turn the ignition on. If not, obviously system no worky.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

And keep in mind that you need to have about 26 psi in the fuel rail for the injectors to even thing about firing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
And keep in mind that you need to have about 26 psi in the fuel rail for the injectors to even thing about firing.

Just for clarity's sake in case OP doesn't know, but the FI system is pretty primitive. It has no way of knowing what the fuel pressure is, there is no sensor. It just does the math to determine injector opening time based on what the fuel pressure is supposed to be.

So the presence or absence of fuel pressure will have no effect on whether or not the injectors get power or open/close.

But obviously if there is low or no fuel pressure the engine will not run well or at all. The way to rule this out of course is to use the FI fuel rail test port and connect up a fuel pressure gauge to make sure it's within spec.
Inland23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.

Checked and cleaned the lead wire from the ECU to the correct side of the coil.
Checked the 26 PSI in the fuel line.
Brand new Bosch dbl relay.

I removed one side of injectors and cranked the motor. No gas spray from the new injectors or the old injectors that were replaced.

I also disconnect a fuel line prior and cranked and showed fuel pumping out.

I Pulled the resistor pack and cleaned the connections best I could.

All Above And Still the same issue.

I ordered a different Resistor Pack $30 and ECI $100 And should arrive this weekend.

Will continue.....
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

Have you tried a Bosch noid light?

If you put a dwell meter on there do you get some sort of signal? (Even if you have a "points replacement module" you should some sort of reading even though it won't mean much)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Inland23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

Thanks. I tried a dwell meter on the injector wire will someone cranks the motor and no electric going to the injector.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

Hook the dwell meter up the green points wire and a known good ground and see that shows anything.

If it doesn't, the ECU is not getting the signal from the points to "fire" the injectors. They fire all at the same time.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

Inland23 wrote:

Brand new Bosch dbl relay.

Just because something is new doesn't mean it's good. TEST the output of the double relay to make sure it's providing power to the ECU. Apparently the fuel pump half of the relay works (because the fuel pump is running) but the other half of the relay is the half that provides power to the ECU.

Reference the wiring diagram:

You should have a black wire running from terminal 15 (+) on ignition coil to terminal 86c on double relay. This is the wire that triggers the system power half of the relay to close and provide power to ECU. Note on the way that wire runs through an inline connector so find that and make sure it's good.

Pull plug off double relay and test for 12v in the plug at 86c when the key is on.

You should also have power at all times to 88a in the harness plug, that's the power source for the FI system. When you turn the key on, 86c gets 12v, closes the relay, and 12v goes from 88a to 88b which powers up the injectors and the ECU.

I would check this out next.
Inland23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!!!

Thanks everyone for the great knowledge you supplied for this issue. I checked everything as you requested and the recommendation from sjbartnik discovered the problem!

As I checked the black wire from 15 + to 86c it showed no power.

The bug was sitting inside a garage for well over 20 plus years. The owner died and I was able to buy the bug. I'm guessing he cut the wire under the left side of the rear seat and hide it under the vent? It was a clean cut probably to keep the car from getting stolen!!

Connected it back up and it fired right up!

Thanks again everyone!!! sjbartnik Very Happy
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got it sorted!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

Actually a pretty durable set up.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: My 79 Super Beetle not getting any electric to fuel injectors Reply with quote

I love a happy ending to a fuel injected car!

Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: