Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to start? (57 beetle)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Where to start? (57 beetle) Reply with quote

Hello all! I just came across a unexpected surprise after i saw a very cheap an mostly complete early 60's beetle...

I made some research through the license plate in the local registration system (i live in Argentina) and happened to have a 57 pan, with matching engine, gear box and front beam.... but with an newer body on it!!!

The owner had a very neat file full of documents anf history.... and happens that in 1980 that time owner took the car to brazil and had it "updated" swapping the body with a 60-ish shell....

Being quite complete both chassis and body (even are from different periods) and having such a sweet amount of documentation, i went for it and bought it...

Here comes my question....

Should i keep the 60-ish body, and restore it respecting the car personality and history, or should I try to get an oval body and bring it to original configuration? This is my dilemma....

What you guys would do in such a situation?

Thanks a lot in advance and sweet rides/rebuilds for all!!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to start? (57 beetle) Reply with quote

If the current body is in good shape, just make it safe and enjoy it.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to start? (57 beetle) Reply with quote

I agree. I can't imagine that oval-window bodies or parts vehicles are easy to find in Argentina. With the '60's body you have a huge benefit of much larger rear window and slightly larger windshield sizes compared to an oval, for better outward visibility.

Does the body have an "H" rear apron or a later one? Does it have an engine? if so, is it a 36hp or 40hp (~30hp or 34hp DIN); or a later one?
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Where to start? (57 beetle) Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your feedback! It might be possible to find a body from an oval, but for sure it will take ages to complete it and have in minimal drivability....

Rome, rear apron has no "H" on it.... but chassis and engine number are matching for April '57. I haven't checked yet the transaxle and front beam, but I would say there will be a high chance of also having a match on these.

Body seems to be early 60s. Big rear window, tailights, fuel tank, driver side rear view mirror, and dash are compliant with the 62-66 period...

Steering wheel is totally Brazilian 70s, and seats must be investigated a bit...

Engine has correct pump and distributor and tin set is complete. I will have it hoe in two days, so hopefully I will post some pictures...

Thanks again!
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Where to start? (57 beetle) Reply with quote

1957 was also the first year with the larger square rear window (model year 1958).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Where to start? (57 beetle) Reply with quote

You're absolutely right, but according Progressive Refinements, this change happened in August.... mi chassis is April's... unfortunately there are many 60s details.... most noticeable are fuel tank and drivers door with non hinge rear view mirror....
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to start? (57 beetle) Reply with quote

I was thinking in trying to have it as close as possible to a '58, but having those evident issues... I think I'll do a research on exactly what year is the body and keep it as precise as possible to that year...

Or.... being sort of a Frankenstein... I could keep the exterior as close as possible to a '58... I can locate more or less easily tail lights, front turn lights, handles, steering wheel and other "minor" details to turn it into a "pseudo58"...

I should give it a nice thought together with my wife (she's also a vintage VW fan) and see in what we can turn it into...

For sure it will be a fun journey!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: