Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me identify these Recaro seats
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

Gentlemen, I would appreciate your help in identifying and dating these Recaro bucket seats. They were installed in a 356-engine-powered dune buggy I just bought.
What is a fair market value for a set of 2? A friend of mine wants to buy them and I want a price which is fair for the two of us
Many thanks!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

If those are genuine Recaro...they could be worth $3 - $5K each.

They look like early 911 sport seats.

I am sure the Porsche crowd will weigh in.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

Look like 914 seats to me, I would value at $500 to a friend.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

I'm no expert but I agree they look to be 914.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your responses.

On the possibility of them being 914's seats, I have my doubts. I am no expert either, but to me the 914 are more "plain" and the headrest is totally different

My seats are more contoured and "bucket" type than 914s. I am inclined to think they are early Recaros for 911, but I am not sure

Any Recaro expert in the Group? Laughing

Thanks!!
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

worth finding out....huge difference in value.

Here's a similar (different model) on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-914-6-GT-Reca...mp;vxp=mtr
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

The more I look at it, I now say 911/912 65-69 as the upholstery looks the same as does the adjuster and Head rest style. It was the Sport seat. So $500.00 each.
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

The replacement covers for the sport seats go for more than $1K...just saying
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

Gentlemen, today I got a message from somebody close to the Recaro family.

He confirmed the seats to be original Recaro sport seats from 1968, which equipped the 911R originally and were also an option for the 911S in the period.

He did not want to comment on the price, and actually suggested me to put them on ebay to find out by myself Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

Wow.

Should you decide to sell them, I believe you will find my original estimate close to the mark.

Please keep us posted.
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

Interior shots of a 911R. To me they are the exact same thing as mine with the exception of the material for the center part of the seat

What do you guys think?

Thanks again for your time!
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

Looks like the one in the eBay link I sent you earlier was spot on...yours certainly are in a lot better shape than the one pictured on eBay.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

yes, 911 sport seats. Really really uncomfortable, but also expensive
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

The only problem is if he sells to anyone not living in Spain, the shipping, Duty, and Customs paper work where he has to declare the value will probably add another $1000 to the price. They are missing the Recaro badge as pictured in the 911R so they are recovered or knock offs.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
The only problem is if he sells to anyone not living in Spain, the shipping, Duty, and Customs paper work where he has to declare the value will probably add another $1000 to the price. They are missing the Recaro badge as pictured in the 911R so they are recovered or knock offs.

Are you saying Spain has export taxes or are you referring to other European countries? Just curious if Spain is different as I've never bought anything from there.

You are generally fine in the USA - there are no extra fees buying parts from overseas beyond shipping costs.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:

Not all recaros had the badge. these 911 sport seats did not (taken directly from the recaro site)

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

Are you saying Spain has export taxes or are you referring to other European countries? Just curious if Spain is different as I've never bought anything from there.

You are generally fine in the USA - there are no extra fees buying parts from overseas beyond shipping costs.

I don't know if Spain has one but when it hits the US and they see the value the Buyer will have to pay Duty. Shipping will be outrageous as I shipped two bare 356 heads to Potrurgal? and it cost the buyer $120.00 and the crate those seats will be in will take up more space and weigh more.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

Not all recaros had the badge. these 911 sport seats did not (taken directly from the recaro site)

You are right the AFTERMARKET sets don't have it only the OE ones did for Porsche. P.S. the ones you pictured have the wrong seat tracks for a 911.
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

yeah they came out of a dunebuggy...LOL...I guess the adjustment knob is aftermarket too...
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify these Recaro seats Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your comments. All helpful feedback.

Some more background info: the buggy these seats came with was owned since the early days to his death by Ben Heiderich, importer of Porsche in Spain in the 60s and 70s. He was also the owner of the buggy company (Hispano Aleman) which built the buggy in the late sixties.

Being the buggy built and owned by the Porsche importer, and being equipped with a 356 SC engine and gearbox, and full 911 clocks from an S (my guess), I have always assumed these Recaro seats to be original Porsche equipment.

From all your comments I conclude the following:
1. Seats are original Recaros
2. Not sure if they are Porsche seats
3. Still not sure about their market value

Thanks to everyone for your contribution

Last edited by ruvwen on Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: