Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1986 Westy Subaru Swap - '95 EJ22
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, Northband! All that head scratching and hard work has paid off! Enjoy!

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Westy Subaru Swap - '95 EJ22 Reply with quote

Just noticed your note about the clutch shudder/ chatter. This is often a problem on near any 002 or 091 transmission and comes from unevenly worn contact pads on the release fork where it touches the throw out bearing.
I read about this on the Vanagon list clear back about 1999 or so from the Van Cafe guy. (was originally called Vanagon Cafe till VW of A got wind of it!)
I check these every time I have one apart and almost always one is worn flat and unevenly. New they have a radius on them. Using a jig might be best, but I usually just recontour them with a Dremel or die grinder and stone and try to make them the same measurement with a calipers.
And my clutches engage like butter!
Can't think of his name right now. Peter, maybe? Van Cafe, Santa Cruz.
A few years back, the new replacement shafts were true junk. The originals must have been poorly heat treated, that nearly all wear unevenly. It would be nice to get a NEW better part.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
northband
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Westy Subaru Swap - '95 EJ22 Reply with quote

Awe man - I need to update this. I had clutch chatter my first few days driving the van around. Now it shifts and drives super smooth. I'm super impressed with the conversion.

Now I just need to change my master cylinder - foot kept slipping off the clutch then I realized it was covered in brake fluid!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Westy Subaru Swap - '95 EJ22 Reply with quote

Much easier than working on the release fork! But checking the profile of those pads is still a good idea when it's apart. I can't tell you how many times I've read of someone having problems, replacing every part there and it still doesn't fix it.
I have NEVER IN MY LIFE resurfaced a flywheel and rarely replace a pressure plate unless there is finger damage.
BUT EVERY SINGLE RELEASE FORK NEEDED RE PROFILING.
Nice write up, BTW. I have a couple EJ22's just need to get the rest and do a conversion. They are beautiful motors.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Norasdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Westy Subaru Swap - '95 EJ22 Reply with quote

Very nice work and write up, thanks for the info it all helps.
tpjph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Westy Subaru Swap - '95 EJ22 Reply with quote

About the tachometer
Replace the resistor according to the content.
The tachometer appears when the engine starts.
When the throttle is stepped on, the pointer moves quickly. Which side is the problem?
My engine is EJ25.
I am from Taiwan, so the English expression ability is not very good.
oldskoolsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Westy Subaru Swap - '95 EJ22 Reply with quote

Looks good!
I'll be using this for help while I'm into mine.
Hoodride for life
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: