Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Ghia Coupe low speed shimmy/pulls hard to passenger side
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: 1968 Ghia Coupe low speed shimmy/pulls hard to passenger side Reply with quote

Still ironing out the bugs on my sons first car. Has a pretty good shake at low speed and pulls hard to the passenger side. Above 15 mph the shake goes away. Front end issues I’m sure. Would a stabilizer be the the first place to start? Looking at all the bushings for the ball joints, tie rod ends etc they look to be in good shape. No tears in the boots. It does lean to the drivers side. I’m told that’s leaf springs which I planned on replacing in the future. Tire wear is good. No cupping or uneven wear. Suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Coupe low speed shimmy/pulls hard to passenger side Reply with quote

Alignment for pulling, for shaking maybe a worn bearing but you might hear that if it was that bad, tie rod end which isn’t hard to check for but does require a bit of force, maybe even just a simple wheel balance. Worse case a tweaked spindle. Lots of paths to peruse.
Lean is probably due to the rear suspension more than the front

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Coupe low speed shimmy/pulls hard to passenger side Reply with quote

How old are the tires?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Coupe low speed shimmy/pulls hard to passenger side Reply with quote

I had a similar issue between 20 and 35 MPH in my 68 Ghia. It turned out to be a bad tie rod end. Get the front wheels just of the ground, grab one wheel at 9 and 3 O'Clock and firmly but slightly rock it back and forth about the vertical axis. If you feel any clanking or knocking you most likely have a worn steering or suspension component.

Get the car up to speed under safe and controlled conditions (empty mall parking lot early Sunday morning works well) let the wheel go when the shimmy starts, keeping your hands just off the wheel for safety. If the steering wheel starts to rock back and forth it is most likely a worn tie rod end. If this is the case you may also hear or sense the wheels rocking in and out.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Coupe low speed shimmy/pulls hard to passenger side Reply with quote

Before you go crazy, just crisscross front tires (LF to RF , RF to LF) and see if pull change, if it does it tire problem
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Coupe low speed shimmy/pulls hard to passenger side Reply with quote

Regarding the pulling it sure seems like an alignment issue.
The shimmy you're describing probably is a worn steering damper. It's a cheap and fairly easy replacement.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2127778

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia Coupe low speed shimmy/pulls hard to passenger side Reply with quote

Had a loose wheel bearing on the passenger side for starters. Replaced the bearings on both sides today. Better but still getting a shimmy at about 15 ish mph intermittently. Worse under deceleration but definitely in the front and somewhere. Put the front of the car on stands while I did the wheel bearings. Measured the rear of the car while on stands and got 21 5/8 on both sides from the center of the rear wheel, ground to wheel arch. Looks like I probably need new leafs in the front? Or is there any adjustment in the front torsion set up?Moving the wheel back and forth I get a clunking noise. Ball joints seem to be good. Thinking tie rod ends and stabilizer to start out I guess as you guys suggested.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: