Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Product Review - GoWesty Front Wiper Arm
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Product Review - GoWesty Front Wiper Arm Reply with quote

Hey all,

Thought that I'd share my experience with the new wiper arms I bought for my van. I couldn't get the old one's to stay in place, they'd been augered out over time. So I thought that I'd buy a new set.

Well, they hold tight at the splined shaft, but they have a definite problem in quality. I've let GoWesty know too.

Link

Anyone else have this issue?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Product Review - GoWesty Front Wiper Arm Reply with quote

So how do they work when operating? Does the play affect the performance? That's what should really matter.
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Product Review - GoWesty Front Wiper Arm Reply with quote

The driver's side hits the window seal rubber both at the bottom and top side when on at full speed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Product Review - GoWesty Front Wiper Arm Reply with quote

Sounds like yet another under-tested part from GW. The hits just keep on coming with these guys.

We as the source of their success deserve a lot better, *we* built their customer list with our trust. They owe us working parts, period.

I've never seen a similar scenario like theirs in 40 years' car ownership. Sorry if offending those having better experiences, I really am, but this perpetual issue has to stop, for the good of us as owners.

For me, that starts with my supporting those who better support my interests, and they do exist.

Rant over, at least until the next time.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Product Review - GoWesty Front Wiper Arm Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Sounds like yet another under-tested part from GW. The hits just keep on coming with these guys.

We as the source of their success deserve a lot better, *we* built their customer list with our trust. They owe us working parts, period.

Agreed, I've spent a fair penny at their location. I do have an email exchange going with Kevin from their customer service. I've never had to email them about a purchase, so we'll see how that goes. I'll let you all know.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Product Review - GoWesty Front Wiper Arm Reply with quote

What I would love to see is a wiper shaft that wasn't designed to work with a 10" beetle wiper blade. There might well be something out there that is an easy enough conversion, but I don't know what.

If you are buying the OEM style wiper arms be sure the get the washer kit and clean the metal out of the splines in the shaft. You local hardware store may have the needed 7mm SS washer.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Product Review - GoWesty Front Wiper Arm Reply with quote

Ollie W wrote:
The driver's side hits the window seal rubber both at the bottom and top side when on at full speed.

What size are your wiper blades ? I tried longer than stock, as per GW's recommendations, ans they hit the seal on the side.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Product Review - GoWesty Front Wiper Arm Reply with quote

Haters love to hate, don't they (E1).

I don't know what you guys think GW is as a company. It's a couple of guys running a local shop. It's not some global conglomerate that has multi-million dollar deep pockets. It's a small business that specializes in a niche market. I've been there and have been buying from them since all they had was a paper catalog 20 years ago. They try to find replacement parts to help our community. I think they do a good job.

Guaranteed whoever makes that wiper arm, it's the same one Van Café sells too or any other vendor. You could take the time yourself to source the parts from whatever manufacturer makes them by trial and error, take weeks of research to do it. Or, take the parts someone else says fit what you need. No one is custom making these arms. If they were, I'm sure the complaint would then be how expensive they are.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Product Review - GoWesty Front Wiper Arm Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Haters love to hate, don't they (E1).

There's not one bit of "hate" in what I said. We've been to Los Osos, too, and it's not a "two guys" scenario as you claim.

My comments are about business. We all have a right to state our experiences, good or bad, and the survival of this niche depends on our suppliers. My opinions are part of what's called Freedom, and thankfully, we still have it.

I've been in business 43 years, so do have some point-of-reference behind my comments. And I stand by them, just as I do when raving about the great suppliers as I do far more frequently here, and will again. Hopefully when I do, it won't be about someone who you've had bad experiences with, wouldn't that be something?

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Product Review - GoWesty Front Wiper Arm Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Guaranteed whoever makes that wiper arm, it's the same one Van Café sells too or any other vendor.

The last time I bought wiper arms from VC they were factory parts(they still describe them as such). I don't have that kind of deflection even in my 30 year old wiper arms.
Hopefully your parts were just a bad batch and I am sure that GW will make it right for you.
jamin307
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Product Review - GoWesty Front Wiper Arm Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, I have the same flex in my GW arms too - one worse than the other and it makes contact with the frame/seal every cycle. I thought it was just user error (as is usually my case) and that I needed to adjust the "home" position. I've had them installed for 6 months so I'm not sure if GW would do anything for me. I'll reach out to them but may make an attempt to decrease the flex first.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Product Review - GoWesty Front Wiper Arm Reply with quote

That's clearly a QC issue with the design and manufacture of the part.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Product Review - GoWesty Front Wiper Arm Reply with quote

Looks like Kevin at GoWesty is going to make this right for me. I want to say that I'm glad to see their level of customer service.

He's going to exchange the arms I received for some new old stock SFW's. I'm not sure what they will or can do about the quality issue in general? I feel for them when even the reputable German and American aftermarket parts manufacturers have reduced their quality.
jamin307
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Product Review - GoWesty Front Wiper Arm Reply with quote

I had the same flex issues with my GoWesty wiper arms. I reached out to GoWesty after reading this thread and Mike gave me a credit via their "gobucks" to go towards a new version of the arms that were expected to be in stock late 2018/early 2019. I ordered them and on initial inspection it's clear that these new versions do not suffer from too much flex at the hinge - very solid. That being said, FYI it looks like they're painted/powder coated after they're assembled. When installed on the van, unpainted metal is exposed that was previously hidden. I reached out to GoWesty to let them know.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: