Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help buying the right fuel tank.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
H6WESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Help buying the right fuel tank. Reply with quote

Ok my Vanagon, is originally a 1982 diesel. It still had the diesel tank when I got it drained it, cleaned it and used it with my subaru conversion. But the tank is dented and cannot supply fuel below the 1/2 tank mark.

I used seamstress tape to measure around the filler tube. my best measuring was 7 1/4 inches around the filler tube (mid point with no bends).

these seem to be differences in the filler hole diameter of the various years. I should have measured the filler hole when the tank was out many months ago, but I didn't know. I do remember the top of the tank had all the openings in the picture bellow.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This tank is listed as
BRAND 1A AUTO
part number 1AFGT00560
INTERCHANGE Part number 1980 1981 Vanagon TNKVW3B
-capacity: 16 Gallons /60 litters
-Dimesnsions: 32 and 1/2 inch by 28 and 3/8 inch by 9 and 5/8 inches
-large filler hole: 2 and 3/4 inch diameter.
Note: please measure the inside diameter of the filler hole on your old gas tank. it should measure 2 and 3/4 inches.

the listing states it's for 1980 1981 gas models. Mine is an 82 diesel model.

There is also a a 82-85 gas tank with a 1 and 7/8 inch diameter filler hole.

And an 1983 -1991 DIESEL tank with a 48mm opening (1.89 inches)

these last two seem to have too small of a filler hole opening. not sure how to account for the filler hole gasket thickness.

since this tank might take a while to get here, I don't want to drop the old tank yet as I will be with out transportation. I in a super tight budget after all I've spent on this vanagon and I'm shopping for a NEW tank on ebay.
I'm hoping some of you vanagon experts can clear up doubts . Or if there's a part number stamped on my old tank that I could look for?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help buying the right fuel tank. Reply with quote

Should be the early tank. As far as I know, there are only 2 filler sizes.
H6WESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help buying the right fuel tank. Reply with quote

Yes I think so too.
TNKVW3B is the 2 and 3/4 filler hole. large
TNKVW3A is the 1 and 7/8 filler hole. small

My filler tube is 2 and 5/16 in outer diameter + plus guestimating gasket thickness of 7/16 = 2 and 3/4 bare filler hole on the tank.

I'll wait 'till tomorrow morning to order it. If anyone has any input before then please chime in.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help buying the right fuel tank. Reply with quote

I have the early tank with the larger hole. My filler neck is made out of metal and it is the same diameter throughout its length. When I was researching the purchase I read that the later tank with the smaller hole is accompanied by a filler neck that is made of plastic and starts with the ordinary large diameter at the top but then it tapers down to a smaller diameter before it enters the tank. So that visual cue is how I figured out what to order. They sent the wrong smaller hole tank by mistake anyway! They shipped the correct one right away and picked up the wrong one no fuss.

While I had the tank out I replaced the shifter bushing, as that requires dropping the tank. I also replaced all the seals and hoses. I got a gas tank seal kit from Vanagain.com and everything was included and fit great.

Just finished it yesterday. What a pain in the arse! Lol.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
H6WESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help buying the right fuel tank. Reply with quote

Wow thanks what great timing! I had this tank out before when everything on this van was untested and in unknown condition that's why I didn't replace it then. But yeah it was such a PTA I'm not looking forward to it.

But YES I have the all metal tube it sort of bulges with the bends in the metal pipe that's why I took the measurements on a straight piece.

Awesome I feel much better about ordering the 1980-1981 tank, I guess my '82 was manufactured in 81 when they still had those tanks.

Thanks guys!
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help buying the right fuel tank. Reply with quote

That is the tank I installed in my 82 diesel van with the metal filler. John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: