Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission knock from 2nd to 3rd
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Transmission knock from 2nd to 3rd Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've got a 1999 Weekend that has a pretty strong knock when it shifts from second to third. All other gears are good, but that one probably gets the most action (it's around 25-30mph).

I've only had it about 2 years and at the time of purchase the seller told me this was a common issue with EVs. I ran into another EV owner camping and he had 300k miles on it and described the same clunk and said his was still going strong.

Just wanted to see if you guys have heard of this. Urban myth?

Thanks!
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission knock from 2nd to 3rd Reply with quote

When these tranny's work properly they work well with no weird shifts. Now that's not to say that they can't develop certain shift characteristics over time based on normal wear and tear, driving styles, and internal deficiencies and/or problems. Being a computer controlled unit it's all about the adaptation, which typically keeps operation optimal over time, in a perfect world.

It's not uncommon for a transmission to go a long way while exhibiting an irregular or less than ideal shift. It happens.

My '99 with over 200,000 km starts to act up after several months of driving. I've found that resetting the adapted values using a scan tool brings back a very good shift characteristic. I've done this a few times now over the years. Once I reset it's like night and day. Is this normal? Well it's normal for my tranny apparently...

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
fatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission knock from 2nd to 3rd Reply with quote

gakali wrote:
I've found that resetting the adapted values using a scan tool brings back a very good shift characteristic. I've done this a few times now over the years. Once I reset it's like night and day.

That's amazing...and exciting. Is resetting the values difficult?

Thanks for your feedback!!
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission knock from 2nd to 3rd Reply with quote

As far as I know the only way is using a scan tool that can initiate the process. In my case I go to "basic settings", input "0", and hold the throttle down enough to trigger the kick-down switch for 3 seconds and voila.

Very primative procedure by modern standards. It is necessary that your throttle cable is adjusted properly to activate the kick-down switch.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission knock from 2nd to 3rd Reply with quote

There is also an adaption procedure using the gas pedal. You need to look it up and I don't k ow how well it works.
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission knock from 2nd to 3rd Reply with quote

subdewd wrote:
There is also an adaption procedure using the gas pedal. You need to look it up and I don't k ow how well it works.

Here's the procedure posted on vwvortex....I haven't tried it

1. Turn on ignition (but don't start engine).

2. Turn off ignition.

3. Turn on ignition again (no engine) and floor accelerator and hold for about 15 seconds.

4. Release accelerator and now start and drive car. Should be reset.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission knock from 2nd to 3rd Reply with quote

Could the knocking possibly be attributed to a failing motor or trans mount? The bottom unit that attaches to the subframe could possibly cause knocking if the rubber isolator were collapsed.
fatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission knock from 2nd to 3rd Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:
Could the knocking possibly be attributed to a failing motor or trans mount? The bottom unit that attaches to the subframe could possibly cause knocking if the rubber isolator were collapsed.

If that were the case, wouldn't it knock between all gear changes?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: