Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I found that exhaust added 10* to coolant temps on daveark's bus compared to my original set up.

Skills, when you say "that exhaust" what are you referring to? The header was bought, but everything else is my own parts. I think the biggest challenge with heat is that the passenger side exhaust bank does move around pretty close to the water pump inlet. More of a potential issue is the heat from the muffler itself hanging around.

I do plan to add some heat shields in between the muffler and engine, and will likely add some sort of shield/insulation for the water pump inlet coolant line in that area.

Thanks for the tips!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

By that exhaust I mean just that....

You'll heat the already cooled water returning to the w/p

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

By that exhaust I mean just that....

You'll heat the already cooled water returning to the w/p

I guess my point didn't come across, but you answered the question anyways. Stating "that exhaust" implied to me that the whole system is/was an off the shelf exhaust, which it isn't. I follow now that you were referring to the "header" itself (which is off the shelf), and yes, does pass very near the water pump inlet.

Thanks for the tip. I was planning some sort of heat shield/guard there anyways. I think the muffler body itself could radiate quite a bit of heat too. I'll be making a shield for it as well.

How is your deluxe doing these days?

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

so....that exhaust will throw a LOT of heat back into the engine bay. daveark also has a late bay. I design my exhaust systems to look like a side winder and this takes almost all of the heat away from the engine bay.

also, that heat shield for the exhaust causes more problems than its worth. the way it attaches to the timing belt cover is a joke...and has sent broken pieces of t belt over into the belt and well, you know....bent valves/broken belts...several Vanagon guys have found this out the hard way, and so did Dillon (thebusandus)

not trying to rain on your parade, but trying to avoid the 300 private messages asking how to get your bus to cool post swap.....it's gotten to a point that I just can't answer all of the questions anymore

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Again, my system isn't the full system that Van-café/RMW sells. I'm just using the header only. The rest of my setup is parts I already have (or will) put together myself to fit my desired form/function requirements.

The muffler placement I've shown is pretty well set, as I was looking for a round bodied muffler to sit in the factory location like the T4 muffler. This was for my own personal aesthetic reasons.

The muffler is further back away from the engine than the full Van-café/RMW setup. I've got a general idea/plan for a heat shield between it and the rest of the engine/engine bay, but it will actually be body mounted heat shield. I too never liked how the Van-café/RMW exhaust mounted the heat shield to the cam cover bolts (which in turn also supported the muffler weight too). Too much heat and weight right up next to the engine to me.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the feedback. It will be interesting to see how the entire combo works together. Hopefully I'll address some of the issues you saw with the similar system you had worked with. If it turns out to be a complete flop, I'll change it from there.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Just another quick update on the swap. Not a whole lot has been happening, as this past month an a half has seen me traveling to Japan and back, ripping out our old carpet and linoleum and installing ~1000sqft of flooring in the new house, out of town visitors for a week, kids birthdays, sis-in-laws college graduation, etc, etc...

I had a whole long post written out detailing all of the recent progress and thought processes on layout, but then deleted it and decided to just hit the high points.

Muffler hanger is completed. Pretty simple light weight angle running between the bumper brackets so it can bolt in/out, and provide a mounting point for the exhaust hangers (which support the left and right side of the muffler can)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lots and lots of work on the coolant system, although most of it has been the mental/planning side of things. I decided to use the ubiquitous VW coolant ball as the reservoir. This gives me an easy place to fill under the hatch, visual level at a glance (plus the ability to tie into the integral level sensor for an idiot light), and a high point for the system to de-gas to. Mounted the bracket to the firewall over the right side of the engine (note: I have a new plastic ball on the way. this one is just mock up)

From there its been figuring out the coolant lines. Ideally I eventually want 100% hard lines (apart from couplers of course). For now though, with the rad placement still in its "beta" phase, I'll be using a mix of hardline and Gates WIGS hose. Got the suction side hardline fabricated up. Used a 45* and 90* aluminum bend to get off the engine and clear the exhaust. From there it runs along the frame rail to just forward of the CV shaft. I'll use the frame to body gusset as a support for this line. My aluminum TIG welding is getting better with more practice. I won't be starting a welding page on IG or anything real soon, but getting more comfortable, and they are functional and looking decent enough.

I'm still waiting on the final pieces needed to fabricate the discharge line, but that should take a u-turn off of the engine, and then follow a similar path down along the frame rail like the suction side. These lines (suction and discharge) will be what is tied into the coolant ball for supply and de-gas. Should work well I think.

Apart from these big things things, its been a lot of parts ordering trying to get all the final bits and bobs here. New o-rings for the injectors and FPR, new knock sensor, various hoses and fittings, rad fans, wiring components, etc.

I'm really hoping to get this thing back on the road within the next month or so. I'd like to be able to have it ready to use again for the families Christmas light cruise night. Its doable, but I've really got to get after it and stay on it. Wish me luck!

67 Beetle (TBD)

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

awesome! Looking good. What is that clear tubing you have on the cooling though? Is that just slipped over the piping? It doesn't look like it even has a bevel on the rube to keep it on there. I hope it isn't permanent/runner worthy and just for mockup, or that I just don't know something
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
awesome! Looking good. What is that clear tubing you have on the cooling though? Is that just slipped over the piping? It doesn't look like it even has a bevel on the rube to keep it on there. I hope it isn't permanent/runner worthy and just for mockup, or that I just don't know something

Thanks!

You're spot on. That clear tubing is just for mockup. Its not rated for coolant exposure or temp, its just some cheapy 1.5" water hose I picked up from the big box store to pressure test the radiator after modifying it. Right now I'm just using what was left for mockup off the engine, and yes, I still need to put a bead at the end of the tubing so the clamp has something to sit against. Since this is fairly thin wall tubing, I should be able to make a DIY beading tool to crimp a bead in the pipe. The other option is to just weld a bead on at the end. One of those two things will happen pretty shortly here.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

I appear to have some momentum going, so I'm trying to keep it up Laughing

I got the left side discharge coolant pipe fabricated this weekend. I started with a 180* mandrel bend as the base. After slicing it up and combining it with some drop material from the suction side pipe fab, I came up with this for routing (see the top side view below). This pipe also has an 1/8npt bung added, as this is the high spot in the coolant system that will de-gas to the coolant ball/expansion tank. I kept this pipe up high leaving the engine so it would be the high spot of the system, but also so it would be clear of the valve cover for its first scheduled valve adjustment (in 100k miles Laughing )

Here is another shot from the bottom side. Like the suction side, it jogs down along the frame after leaving the engine bay, and is rigid up past the axle by about 2-3"

Lastly, here is a shot of the overall engine bay as it sits. This is basically what the final product will look like. I'm extremely happy with how its coming out. Looks like basically a factory type installation, which is what I was after. The only other thing that I need to mount still is the fuel filter, but all the rest of the big items are in. I also mounted my LED engine bay light which (will be) connected a manual toggle switch in the engine bay. It lights everything up real well, and makes it even easier to work on than using the drop light.

Beyond that, I made a bunch of progress on other little things that don't really photo all that well. Got the pressure switching solenoid and MAP sensor mounted, started extending the TPS wires (but ran out of heat shrink), modified the throttle body and installed the gaskets on it and the reverser, etc, etc. I also ordered a ton of the little fittings, clamps, and other things needed to wrap up the coolant system. I will hopefully keep plugging away at all these items over the next week or so. Trying to get it able to test fire the engine soon, so then I can finalize my vehicle side harness to the Bus.

All for now!

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Had a pretty productive weekend...

-radiator was pulled, fans were installed, air bleeds installed, and then radiator final installed back underneath
-gates green strip hoses cut and fitted between the radiator and hard lines
-fuel pump mount built and fuel pump installed (walbro 255)
-fan and fuel pump harnesses built
-intake manifold final installed
-fuel filter housing installed
-exhaust hanger painted and exhaust final installed
-downstream o2 sensor standoff fabricated and installed
-air intake pipe modified to rotate MAF 90* to accommodate stock engine harness
-heater hose loop installed
-coolant ball supply and air bleed lines installed
-etc, etc

There is probably more that I'm forgetting, but these were the highlights. I've been keeping a list on the dry erase board in the shop, and just steadily working to scratch things out. With the project now being all down to the small stuff, a list has been super helpful in keeping progress moving forward and keeping me organized and on track.

Anyways, as a result of all the work this weekend, Sunday I had a chance to roll the Bus out and test fill the coolant system. This is the first time its been out of the shop since moving here. Happy to report that there are not leaks, and my air bleeds worked perfectly to get the system filled and purged. This weekend I'll dump the water and install actual coolant mix.

Here are a couple of shots I grabbed while it was out. The irony of these pictures were not lost on me Laughing

Next step is to get back to the body harness and get it finished up. It remains in the same condition as it was when I tested in the donor car before pulling the engine. I also have a TDI starter and adapter plate on the way that needs to be installed. I hope to be able to do a test fire on the engine next weekend.

67 Beetle (TBD)

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Looking good!

What’s the engine bay LED set up look like?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Looking good!

What’s the engine bay LED set up look like?

Thanks Rich!

This is the light kit I bought. I'm only using the light itself, as I will wire it behind a toggle switch so I can turn it off and on as desired (right now I'm running it off of a 12V power supply since the battery is out of the Bus). The led strip comes on a doublesided adhesive foam tape, so I stuck the light down to a 0.5" piece of aluminum strap, and then mounted the strap to the top lip of the engine bay opening with some nutserts. The light itself cannot be seen unless you stick your head back up under the engine bay. I'll try to get a few more pics of the actual install later.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FW1K12Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

67 Beetle (TBD)

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks for the link!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Just a quick post to check in.. making progress!

Link

67 Beetle (TBD)

Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

heat shield for the exhaust causes more problems than its worth...and has sent broken pieces of t belt over into the belt and well, you know....bent valves/broken belts...several Vanagon guys have found this out the hard way, and so did Dillon (thebusandus)

trying to avoid the 300 private messages asking how to get your bus to cool post swap.....it's gotten to a point that I just can't answer all of the questions anymore

Well, that is why I am air-cooled. No shields, no timing belt, no water pump, no bent valves, it's cool, all cool, air-cooled.
HTH,
Colin Razz
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:

Well, that is why I am air-cooled. No shields, no timing belt, no water pump, no bent valves, it's cool, all cool, air-cooled.
HTH,
Colin Razz

wow colin...must be a ghost town over on your site seeing you've been trolling the samba quite a lot lately...and posting in a Subaru thread even....

don't you have to wax the inside of your heat exchangers? or rotate the seals on your fresh air flaps?

to the o/p....fuck the haters. back up on their sack and drop the fuckin clutch Very Happy

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

wow colin...must be a ghost town over on your site seeing you've been trolling the samba quite a lot lately...and posting in a Subaru thread even....

I am just so bored, skills. There is nothing to do. Waxed the heat exchangers and rotated the seals on my fresh air flaps, oh and drove 720 miles over the past two days from Pensacola to Atlanta and back in a "weather event" with no problems, so yeah, I am sooo bored.
Colin Cool
[but please, as you were. I am fascinated to read of this "heat shield for the exhaust (that) causes more problems than its worth. the way it attaches to the timing belt cover is a joke...and has sent broken pieces of t belt over into the belt and well, you know....bent valves/broken belts"]

p.s. beautiful engine bay there, Vee Dub Nut
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Amazing build, love seeing the progress!
1961 Patina Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
p.s. beautiful engine bay there, Vee Dub Nut

Thanks Colin!

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

AirKooledGarage wrote:
Amazing build, love seeing the progress!

Thanks.. Its been fun (but a LOT of work). I've had this idea/dream of this Bus rolling around in my head for years, so its fun to finally be closing in on being "done" with it.

After the swap is finished, I'll finally get back to the detail stuff. Need to get my headliner made and installed, polish out the paint, recover the rear seats, roof rack, etc, etc Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 22

Jump to: