Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Thread with all the goodness (and badness)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8866874

This will be a very long term project. It'll likely be a few months before I can even start on the mechanicals. I will spend a bit of time cleaning up stuff the seller missed, but nothing substantial...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
If this is the Washington one that lived on the peninsula in the trees for many years with a lot of other volkswagens, it’s totally fraudulent. Like legit tampering.

No fraud. Period. I know the seller. I have pics of the bus from years ago with the seller's wife in them. Fifty years of registration cards. Let it go. Please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

I don't know Oregon but I suspect it is the same or close as CA. If in CA this would work.

1. You have no title...
2. Get a bill of sale with the correct VIN...
3. Hire a VIN verification company
4. In CA make sure the sales amount is under 5k!!! For the love of god
5. Then get a new and clean title with the proper VIN.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Oregon is used to these problems, as they used engine numbers to title cars much later than many states. Take it to your local dmv and they will sort it out for you.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Oregon is used to these problems, as they used engine numbers to title cars much later than many states. Take it to your local dmv and they will sort it out for you.

Well, that was a ton of fun. It wasn't that it took horribly long, but the person I got was likely one of only a couple of people there who's "give-a-shit" was completely broken.

The upside was that her f-you attitude got in her own way so she had to help.

I showed her all 3 VIN locations, but she deemed them "unreadable" and was going to send me to the state police for a VIN inspection. Not a huge deal except that she didn't know where they were located ("you just call. They give you their address") and they only had hours on Thursday. The funny part was that in order to refer me to them, she needed a VIN. Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing

Fortunately, her coworker was much more helpful (her give-a-shit was fully functional) and apparently her eyes were way better than the first because she was able to read all three location. I was pretty impressed because she was dressed nicely for work, but still had her head up in the engine bay to check that tag.

Worker #1 was still unwilling to issue a new title and plates despite me showing her the page from the OM that shows the location of the chassis numbers ("I don't even know if those are really the VIN numbers and I don't know where that picture came from. Let Salem deal with it.")

So - all the paperwork has been submitted to the state and hopefully in 30-90 days I'll have title, registration and plates.

Pretty sure this is a done deal, so thanks for all the help. Now I just need my frustration level to return to normal.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Yeah, always a dice-rolling moment dealing with getting your papers in order. I had to do a bonded title years ago, at one point was faced with a total zero at a window, until some lovely soul behind her heard the convo, piped in to help and knew exactly what to do.

They have so many ways to make it hard on you, and you have to hope for someone with some give-a-shit. Congrats!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Sounds like a trip to McMenamins is in order. You deserve it.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Z wrote:
Yeah, always a dice-rolling moment dealing with getting your papers in order. I had to do a bonded title years ago, at one point was faced with a total zero at a window, until some lovely soul behind her heard the convo, piped in to help and knew exactly what to do.

They have so many ways to make it hard on you, and you have to hope for someone with some give-a-shit. Congrats!

Yeah, I had a bit better than 50/50 shot when I got to the front of the line and today was just not my luckiest. Pretty sure if I had gotten helpful worker #2, I'd have new plates already. Glad I'm not in a hurry.

crofty wrote:

Sounds like a trip to McMenamins is in order. You deserve it.

Forecast shows high probability of adult beverages this evening. Laughing
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Bummer you got the bad employee but it sounds like it got done with some delay.

If you have any further problems and if any sort of email from me as the site owner will help, contact me.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Lind wrote:

Well, that was a ton of fun. It wasn't that it took horribly long, but the person I got was likely one of only a couple of people there who's "give-a-shit" was completely broken.

The upside was that her f-you attitude got in her own way so she had to help.

I showed her all 3 VIN locations, but she deemed them "unreadable" and was going to send me to the state police for a VIN inspection. Not a huge deal except that she didn't know where they were located ("you just call. They give you their address") and they only had hours on Thursday. The funny part was that in order to refer me to them, she needed a VIN. Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing

Fortunately, her coworker was much more helpful (her give-a-shit was fully functional) and apparently her eyes were way better than the first because she was able to read all three location. I was pretty impressed because she was dressed nicely for work, but still had her head up in the engine bay to check that tag.

Worker #1 was still unwilling to issue a new title and plates despite me showing her the page from the OM that shows the location of the chassis numbers ("I don't even know if those are really the VIN numbers and I don't know where that picture came from. Let Salem deal with it.")

So - all the paperwork has been submitted to the state and hopefully in 30-90 days I'll have title, registration and plates.

Pretty sure this is a done deal, so thanks for all the help. Now I just need my frustration level to return to normal.
I have never had any DMV employee or police officer not recognize a VIN during a VIN inspection. You got an unqualified employee. It still sounds like you are getting a title though, and that is good.

Unless a car is stolen or junked, most states will give you a title, you just have to play their paperwork game.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Bummer you got the bad employee but it sounds like it got done with some delay.

If you have any further problems and if any sort of email from me as the site owner will help, contact me.

Thanks. I truly appreciate the support.

Based on the response from employee #2, I expect this to be done at this point. Fingers crossed though.

The upside is that the PO is a good friend and will help out however he can.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I have never had any DMV employee or police officer not recognize a VIN during a VIN inspection. You got an unqualified employee. It still sounds like you are getting a title though, and that is good.

Unless a car is stolen or junked, most states will give you a title, you just have to play their paperwork game.

Yup. She stared at the old CA title for 2 solid minutes, flipping front to back, before declaring “this isn’t a title”. That’s when I knew I was in trouble,

This will hopefully just be a funny story in a year. Lol
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Lind wrote:

Yup. She stared at the old CA title for 2 solid minutes, flipping front to back, before declaring “this isn’t a title”. That’s when I knew I was in trouble,

A dmv employee who cannot recognize a title or a VIN. Life must be hard for her, and she just wants to share the hardships in any way she can.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
Lind wrote:

A dmv employee who cannot recognize a title or a VIN. Life must be hard for her, and she just wants to share the hardships in any way she can.

I'm guessing she was pretty young and may not have seen what super old titles look like?
Life's hard at your job when you don't ask others with more experience for help.

I think I've been lucky at the DMV when it's complicated stuff, I always get the person that says Screw This and gets the person who's been there for 30 years to come out and do everything.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I'm guessing she was pretty young and may not have seen what super old titles look like?
Life's hard at your job when you don't ask others with more experience for help.

I think I've been lucky at the DMV when it's complicated stuff, I always get the person that says Screw This and gets the person who's been there for 30 years to come out and do everything.

You'd think that she would have been younger, but was definitely not a millennial, by any stretch of the imagination. Worker #2 was probably 15 years her junior and didn't throw her hands up in defeat at the first hiccup. This case was all about attitude, not experience.

I've been lucky at the DMV too... it just wasn't good luck. Laughing
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Quote:
Life must be hard for her, and she just wants to share the hardships in any way she can.

That's a good way to think about douchebag people with a stick up their butt. I need to remember that thought.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Success!

After a follow up call to the DMV (who were confused by what useless worker #1 sent them), license plates and temp registration card showed up this weekend.

Took about 15 minutes to explain what had been sent to them, but the lady I was dealing with was super helpful. She completed the paperwork and had the plates sent out that day. She did have the privilege of talking to useless worker #1 too get her side of what was going on which, shockingly, matched what I had said.

Title and permanent registration should show up this week.

Super excited and relieved. Thanks for the support from everyone who chimed in on this.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Bullet dodged. Now if you can just get all the bat guano stains off the roof.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Bullet dodged. Now if you can just get all the bat guano stains off the roof.

No problem. Just need 20 hours wet sanding and polishing and the "lovely" moss green paint won't be splotchy... still nicked, dinged and flaking in places... but not splotchy...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: