Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UK NLA Laminiate
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turksandcaicos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:30 am    Post subject: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

I have a 1978 Westfalia and am wondering if someone knows if the laminate from NLA in England is an exact match? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfalia-laminate-layer...1320572088

Thanks,
Al
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's as close as it gets to OG. One of the guys on here has a wonderful thread on redoing his cabinets with it. I think his thread is in the FAQ
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see it in FAQ. His user name is eche if I recall. He will be along soon I'm sure.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

27 pages of goodness.
eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper
Good luck
Tcash
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The laminate panels I bought from NLA VW were the ones that are backed by birch plywood that mount on the walls. For refinishing my cabinets, I used original old laminate graciously donated by a fellow Samba member.

A review from when I first bought the panels:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7274474#7274474

A link inside my build thread showing the panels. Skim forward to see installation.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7274484#7274484

NLA VW sells the raw laminate too - same as the wall panels, just without the plywood backing, for use on the cabinets. If you're going to replace all the laminate on all your cabinets, it'll work great as it has exactly the same grain and knots as OG, and the color tone is fairly close, too. If you're going to just replace a panel here and there, you'll likely see the shade will not quite match your other panels. That said, it is without a doubt the best option out there, as any other currently available laminate will neither match OG in color or in grain.

They have an ad in the classifieds here for the wall panels (hey, that's my toe!). http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1691744
Would recommend.
jtchristopher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

Laminate Construction
Despite the fact that plastic laminate manufacturers frequently introduce new products, I seriously doubt we will ever find a contemporary match for the plastic laminate found in a Westy interior. For the more exacting – you are faced with complete delamination and replacement with similar materials. For the less demanding – you are faced with selective delamination of your damaged panel and replacement of the laminate.

Recently, December 2015, I purchased a top cabinet typical of a ’77 – ’79 interior for introduction into our ’75 Westy. Although structurally sound, the rear piece of laminate was brittle and fractured in an attempt to repair its loose fit; similarly, the bottom piece of laminate was missing in its entirety.

I lean toward the exacting type of decision maker; however, my mindset in this instance was to secure the best match for an isolated piece of laminate where I felt a very close match would be hardly noticed. Remember, too, the upper cabinet lies adjacent the closet. The top piece repair represents the only side-by-side comparison to existing – yet the comparison is on predominantly different planes making it relatively easy for the eye to “understand” a slightly different color. The bottom panel is framed in black, plastic t-molding making that comparison, also in a different plan, extremely difficult to discriminate. These factors, coupled with a flawless front panel, contributed to the decision to replace isolated pieces.

Obviously laminate color / graining was the basis for selection. Below, ranked in descending order, are subjective best match to original laminate construction recommendations:

Manufacturer Product Name / Number
Pionite Afternoon Showers / HP 360 (Suede)
Nevamar Vantage Point Walnut / WW0013N
Arborite Spiced Walnut / W-417-FP
Arborite Pecan Tekka / W-430-VL

BTW, all of these lack the faux knots. The Pionite and Nevamar are clear choices – the Pionite is a virtual duplicate in terms of color match for my application.

Perimeter Panel Construction
For this narrative, perimeter panel construction is meant to include the approximate 3/16-thick plywood and presumably vinyl faux wood grained pieces found behind the driver’s side cabinetry and adjacent the rear seat; on central body of the sliding door; adjacent the rear seat on the passenger side; and, the central body of the rear lift gate.

In my opinion, replacement of these pieces in like kind and quality was insane in light of the fact that we use our bus for its intended purpose. In use, replacement panels of wood veneer, plywood or plastic laminate would soon mimic the existing materials – rendered visually distressed by virtue of the numerous scratches and holes from many years of use.

InPro Corporation manufactures a highly maintenance resistant alternative to the interior panels. IPC rigid sheet provides significant protection for vertical, high-traffic, areas; it is durable, long lasting and easy to clean. As an example of a typical use – you’ll often notice this type of material in hospital or loading dock hallways where impact with equipment is likely and frequent and long lasting appearance is important.

If you migrate to IPC’s website locate the Woodland Faux – Wood Patterns. I selected Amber Cherry for use in fabrication of the interior panels. The decision to use this color / pattern was based on the observation that our original, wood perimeter panels were far from an exact match in comparison to the adjacent plastic laminate construction of the cabinetry.

Of particular importance to our application as bus owners is the fact the plastic material is colored through the entire thickness of the panel. You can score this material with a razor blade and hardly notice the cut – its intended use is a perfect application for our high use, close-quartered buses where impact and scrapping is an expected consequence of use. You’ll find the material richer in color than the original and the Amber Cherry works well with the existing laminates in terms of color and graining. IPC offers free samples and these can be order through migration on its website.

My decisions in “restoring” our bus are based upon improvement on the concept --- using contemporary technology and materials is a logical extension of that premise. The introduction of IPC panel just makes great sense for continued use….

I hope this helps all of you in your efforts to rejuvenate the interior of your buses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trevorbrady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

reprowesty.com in The Netherlands also sell laminate and panels.

I haven't checked them against NLA but the prices may be better? I haven't bought from either NLA or reprowesty so I can't vouch for quality of either, just suggesting another source Smile
jtchristopher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

Never heard of the supplier in the Netherlands before. Thanks for the information.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

What pieces are real, what pieces are replacements?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

I will try to visit reprowesty this trip and check em out.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

My NLA interior kit has been fantastic till I changed climates. I guess the humid, wet PNW kept these panels happy. After moving to San Diego, within the month my sliding door panel potato chipped. I would fix it but it also cracked. It flexed so bad that I couldnt open the slider. These pics are after I soaked it in the pool for half the day and had weight on it for the other half to flatten. Rolling Eyes Mad Crying or Very sad

I know there were others with this issue? I only remember conversation not pics.

So Ill be dropping another $150 on Bus depots which Im sure is the same vendor source as NLA.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have to second that. Bought Rear hatch panel from NLA VW - great fit and you would not know the difference but as soon as the humidity changes the panel flexes too
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

I'm glad you both posted this. I had several replacement panels sent to me from NLA and we couldn't figure out why they were warping so much. It's good to know that they do stay straight in a climate similar to the UK.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

I have not seen these panels in person. I am wondering if they are sealed on the back side like the originals were. My guess is that they are not. Westfalia used a vinyl covering. If you don’t seal them with several coats of sealer this is what will happen. There is also the misconception that contact cement should be used to adhere the laminate to the wood. I am not sure who came up with this concept but it’s incorrect. Contact cement does not hold up to moisture, heat or ozone. And it creates a nightmare to fix. You should be using a waterproof heavy duty wood glue like Titebond 3 ultimate. Westfalia used contact cement to adhere the vinyl and rubber in Westys. Not the laminate.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

Good to hear I wasn't thinking I was the only one. Bad to hear I'm not the only one. Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
I have not seen these panels in person. I am wondering if they are sealed on the back side like the originals were. My guess is that they are not. Westfalia used a vinyl covering. If you don’t seal them with several coats of sealer this is what will happen. There is also the misconception that contact cement should be used to adhere the laminate to the wood. I am not sure who came up with this concept but it’s incorrect. Contact cement does not hold up to moisture, heat or ozone. And it creates a nightmare to fix. You should be using a waterproof heavy duty wood glue like Titebond 3 ultimate. Westfalia used contact cement to adhere the vinyl and rubber in Westys. Not the laminate.

Sealed but not with vinyl. Looks like some kind of varnish to me. My sliding door panel is warped so much it's almost a tube.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
Hoody wrote:

Sealed but not with vinyl. Looks like some kind of varnish to me. My sliding door panel is warped so much it's almost a tube.

Yep thats what this one looked like. Serious tubage. Then I threw it in the pool. Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

I had that issue with my sliding door panel too. We had a text conversation about it. I was able to get Bus Depot to replace it - they worked with NLA VW - and the new one was better, but does show some signs of warping after installation.

My advice to remedy it? Thoroughly wet the plywood backing until it won't soak up any more water, then lay it out to dry with some weight on it. Repeat as necessary to get it laying flat, THEN seal it. This will allow the wood fibers to relax in a flat position and the sealing will minimize the change in moisture content of the panel.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

The only remedy for not warping these panels is to glue some laminate from the same thickness at the back of the panel!
There has to be a uneven number of layers to prevent warping that’s why plywood always have a uneven number of layers no matter the thickness.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: UK NLA Laminiate Reply with quote

Well Im assed out and have to buy a new one anyway with the crack. I bought this like 4 years ago when NLA was the only vendor.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: