Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 super wiring whoas
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

So i got this silly bug running, and now the electrical system is the next huge hurdle.

I'm not sure if it was working before but i doubt it.

When i turned it to on, seatbelt and brakes light came on and it would start.

Front flashers and blinkers worked, driver rear bulb blinked but not in the context location on tail light. Pass headlight lit up full power, driver headlight was just enough to light up the filament.

No brake lights, no running lights front or rear. Number 2 fuse is popped and i don't have any more of those type.

I tried jumping the driver headlight from pass harness and its brighter but not full brightness that pass is.

The battery was crap before and i think it's completely toast as i can't get lights or it to turn over even with a jump box.

Any input as of where to start. The electrical system looks like a nightmare, I'm wondering if it'd be better to just run new wires with a modern blade fuse panel for lights and convert the rest over as i go.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

Pick a spot. Look at the ground for the dim headlight.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

I also jumped that ground to pass side ground that works with no change.

Apparently i need to buy another multi meter. I ordered a bunch of stuff off a list on this site including multi meter from harbor freight but they are quite possibly the slowest order fulfillment company on the internet.
Bill T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

Just went through my own woes with my 78 Super and the one piece of advice I can give you is DONT assume anything. Unless you have visually inspected each component and wire, it ain’t right.

I worked on getting any lights to work after I installed aftermarket tail lights on my car. Mine were missing when I got it. So, installed the new tail lights w new bulbs and only the flashers worked. Stepped on the brakes and pop. Blown fuses. Turns out the new tail lights needed dual filament bulbs. Parts store gave me single filament bulbs.

Next, only the L blinker worked. Hit the right and pop. So I chased wires and tested all my switches. Pulled the hazard and headlight switches apart and cleaned them, greased them, and made 100% sure they worked. Replaced the flasher relay and the turn signal switch, but still wouldn’t work. I tested continuity for every junction and FINALLY pulled the right front turn signal indicator housing to discover the wiring was wrong. The last person to work on this car switched the brown and black wires. So the parking/running light worked, but the turn signal was backwards so it just popped fuses.

Go through your manual and study the wiring diagram for your car. You will need a voltmeter and an ohm meter to test voltage and continuity respectively.

Check every wire from the fuse panel all the way to the bulb holder for continuity and then test for voltage. Once you can be sure it has the correct structure then you/we can assess function.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

start from scratch, pull all the wiring out except the main harness. If it's not in your wiring diagram, set it aside and don't reinstall it. While you're at it reterminate the spade connectors.. you can get a pro's kit OE style crimper on Amazon and all the terminals from Digikey.

Installing a 'new' different fusebox doesn't really help do anything except make it harder to work on for the next guy, or down the road when you don't have any diagrams to go by when troubleshooting.

Harbor Freight's VOMs suck, spend a few more dollars and get a good name brand. Greenlee makes a decent analog meter for not too much. Craftsman meters are also ok.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/74-up113wiring.jpg
this will also help get you close
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/Beetle_Super_1972_Clymers.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_std_super_72.jpg
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

aero wrote:
When i turned it to on, seatbelt and brakes light came on and it would start.
<...>
The battery was crap before and i think it's completely toast as i can't get lights or it to turn over even with a jump box.

Confused... so it started normally when you got the car but now it doesn't?
Take the battery out and have your FLAPS charge/test it. If it can't pass a load test get a new one (series 42).

aero wrote:
Front flashers and blinkers worked, driver rear bulb blinked but not in the context (correct?) location on tail light.

If the turn signals and E-Flasher switch get any of the lights to flash your flasher circuit is likely okay. You need to check the individual wire runs to the corners. Find the black/white (left) and black/green (right) wires at the dash. These should junction together at a pair of junction points each. Refer to the '74 wiring diagram and you will see how OUTPUTS from the turn signal switch and the E-Flasher switch come together with the pairs of wires for each side of the car.
The best advice here is to separate connectors and with a wire brush/sandpaper clean all electrical contacts throughout the circuit. These wires and connectors are 40-years old. They will have oxidized and creates high resistance paths.
Do the same for all ground wires/connections you can find.

The rear turn signal lamps are at the TOP of the taillight housing. You suggest that the wrong bulb in the tailight is flashing but didn't ID WHICH bulb. This suggests the taillights are wired incorrectly or the ground is bad.
Look at the wiring junction located behind the tar paper on the left/right of the engine. There is a multi-wire junction here. The black/white and black/green wires here should connect with the black wires to the taillight housing. If the wiring is correct, clean up the ground connection (brown wire).

aero wrote:
Pass headlight lit up full power, driver headlight was just enough to light up the filament.

At the fuse box, swap the two yellow wires for the low beam headlights and the two white wires for the high beams. Does the problem remain on the same side or swap sides? If they remain on the same side it means the problem is in the wiring between the fuse box and the headlight. Again, wire brush/sandpaper all connectors and ground paths.

aero wrote:
No brake lights, no running lights front or rear. Number 2 fuse is popped and i don't have any more of those type.

You will need to get some replacement fuses.
If the fuses blew you have a short to ground or a low resistance path to ground. Remove the bulbs (parking and license plate) and test that the wiring is NOT grounded. Start from the fuse box. Pull the gray parking light wires from the OUTPUT side of the fuse box and test the end of the wire for resistance to ground. With the bulbs removed there should be infinite resistance (no path) to ground. If you have a reading for resistance you have a short somewhere in the wiring. If the resistance is less than 1.5ohms it will blow an 8A fuse.

For the brakes, do the same. Remove the brake lamps and test the brake switch connectors at the master cylinder. Pull the plugs off both switches. The black wire should have 12v when the ignition switch is ON. The black/red wires are the OUTPUT that run to the brake lights at the rear. With the bulbs removed there should be infinite resistance to ground on these wires. Test and if you find low resistance, you have a short in the wiring.

aero wrote:
I tried jumping the driver headlight from pass harness and its brighter but not full brightness that pass is.

aero wrote:
Any input as of where to start. The electrical system looks like a nightmare, I'm wondering if it'd be better to just run new wires with a modern blade fuse panel for lights and convert the rest over as i go.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
aero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I'll have to try to check resistance now that i bought a second multimeter since my patience waiting for harbor freight to ship items had expired.

I put the battery in, scraped the paint off headlight ground and now they work.

Of course, now engine gets no spark. Engine turns over fine but makes no sign of spark.

#2 fuse still pops when i turn the headlight switch on (as soon as i rock to the first setting)

There is a red wire that is coming out of a wire connector thing under the drivers side of the rear seat. I took apart the fuse holder and the fuse popped out and i have no idea where it went. Stuck my hands down there, used a magnet and nothing.

Tried to upload a picture but the uploader isn't working. But it's a red wire that's jumped off a thicker red/white wire that goes into the drivers side rocker panel. That goes through the fuse holder and then connects to one of the prongs of a silver vw relay under the seat. Not sure what that's for nor what size fuse should be in it.

At least by the time i get this thing running.. I'll know it inside and out.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

Now I get it: whoas is woes !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bill T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

Good job tracking down the poor ground on the headlight. Again, I know exactly what you are going through.

What I think you are describing is the fuse holder for the rear defroster. I don’t know what size fuse it is, but I bet it’s something you can deal with after you get it started.

If the engine turns, but there is no spark, check for voltage at your number 11 fuse. The very last fuse on the right hand side. There is a big black wire that is your coil wire. And check the fuse. It is 8amp. They are available in a five pack from O’Rielly auto parts
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

aero wrote:
I put the battery in, scraped the paint off headlight ground and now they work.

Sounds like your headlight grounds were bad.

aero wrote:
Of course, now engine gets no spark. Engine turns over fine but makes no sign of spark.

Check the voltage at the ignition coil #15 WHILE you crank the engine. If the voltage is there while the engine is not cranking and then drops off significantly while cranking... it is a sign of old wiring or a bad ignition switch.

aero wrote:
#2 fuse still pops when i turn the headlight switch on (as soon as i rock to the first setting)

If you have a 12-fuse fuse box the #1 and #2 fuses are for the parking lights. They are powered as soon as the headlights are moved into the 1st ON position. Sounds like at least one of your parking light wires is shorting to ground.

aero wrote:
There is a red wire that is coming out of a wire connector thing under the drivers side of the rear seat. I took apart the fuse holder and the fuse popped out and i have no idea where it went. Stuck my hands down there, used a magnet and nothing.

The only fuse holder under the rear seat is the power source for the rear window defroster relay. It is the square silver relay under the rear seat.
The ceramic/plastic GBC style fuses typically use tin or aluminum for their conductive material so a magnet won't work. You need to get some spare fuses.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Now I get it: whoas is woes !!!

I think it’s like as in: “Whoa! That wiring is messed UP!!

Smile

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
aero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

Thanks again, there are whoas and woes. Auto correct used to work so great, and then it's gone downhill.

Electrical is not my strong suit, so it's extra annoying.

That defroster relay has a loose prong (at least one) so I'm guessing it doesnt work anyways. I was able to pick up extra of the exposed style fuses and have a pack of the 8a sizes right now.

Hopefully the weather and work cooperate and i can check into the dist and coil collage tomorrow. I just want it to be road worthy already!

I'll also go through and sand down all the other grounds that i can get to to make sure they are good to go.

I have an exhaust and snow tires getting delivered in the next couple days along with feeler gauges, test light and other goodies.
aero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

I love dumb mistakes.

Coil to dist wire wasn't connected. Haha. She runs.

Exhaust arrived. It's an empi exhaust. Was hoping that brake cleaner would take the coating off, but no luck. Guess I'll have to sand it before painting it.
Bill T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

Again, been there (broken record). My engine ran in the garage. Installed and ran. Started other electrical ‘degremelinization’ and car would not run anymore. Burned up coil wire while trying to rewire fuel pump (78 w electric fuel pump)

Keep going. You’re doing great.

I just bought an EMPI exhaust to replace badly leaking stock unit. Plan on scuffing it up w green Scotch pad, Wash it w hose and ye old kitchen dish soap. Then coat w most expensive, highest quality hi-temp paint. I’ve used some Home Depot Rustoleum for engine tin (500 degree). I’ll use the 2000 degree paint from Depot or local auto parts store. I’ve tried high tech, ceramic, expensive stuff in my paint gun w poor results. Rattle can stuff is fine by me. Just treat like sunscreen; apply liberally and redcoat often
aero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

Bill T. wrote:
Again, been there (broken record). My engine ran in the garage. Installed and ran. Started other electrical ‘degremelinization’ and car would not run anymore. Burned up coil wire while trying to rewire fuel pump (78 w electric fuel pump)

Keep going. You’re doing great.

I just bought an EMPI exhaust to replace badly leaking stock unit. Plan on scuffing it up w green Scotch pad, Wash it w hose and ye old kitchen dish soap. Then coat w most expensive, highest quality hi-temp paint. I’ve used some Home Depot Rustoleum for engine tin (500 degree). I’ll use the 2000 degree paint from Depot or local auto parts store. I’ve tried high tech, ceramic, expensive stuff in my paint gun w poor results. Rattle can stuff is fine by me. Just treat like sunscreen; apply liberally and redcoat often

Thanks, excited that I'll actually be able to roll around in it (and find more stuff to fix or change. Then I'll get some better pictures of what I'm working with.

Wont be around this weekend, which sucks since I have a bunch to do on it, but I'll have plenty for next week. Exhaust, new tires, build a panel to replace the rear seat, battery tie down, electrical, order some better offroad lights and try to find a roof rack so I can swap my roof top tent over to it.
aero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Do have a picture from a few days ago when she first ran after pulling the engine and putting it back in.
aero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

I was able to track down the short to one of the front blinkers or running lights. Disconnecting the wires from them stops the fuse from blowing.

Rear running lights work, but still no brake lights.

Got new tires installed, Yakima roof rack feet arrived, new door handles and built a rear seat delete panel. New exhaust on as well and she sounds much better.

Hopefully I'll get time Sunday to try and diagnose the missing brake lights. Does the bug have to be running for them to work?
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

On my '71 only the headlights work without key on. It is mostly stock German wiring except for a few end pieces.

You'll need the key "on" or in run position. Please disconnect the + ignition wire on your coil to prevent the points from burning & staying closed. Reconnect when done ... that has stumped me twice when it wouldn't start.

Sorry for stating the obvious ... good luck.

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Bill T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

Key will need to be in the on position for the brake lights to work. That was good advice about pulling the coil wire if you’re going to do a bunch of electrical stuff.

For the brake lights, check to see if you’re getting power to the back. Remember, you have to have good fuses. I’ve been frustrated by fuses that visually look ok, but fail continuity.

So, start at the tail light bulbs. Check for continuity. Then have a friend step on the brake w the key on. Anything. Super weak but at least a tiny flicker says bad ground at the bulb holder. If nothing at all, remove the bulb, have an assistant step on the brake w key on while you check for voltage. If nothing, then I would suspect the brake light switches.

My brake lights also did not work. But I also had to put in aftermarket bulb holders ( cheap POS) since mine were missing. I had to pull my master cylinder (it was leaking anyway) and pull the switches.

There is a switch plate on the inside of the switch. It moves up and down Hen you hit the brakes. Mines were both stuck/gummed up from sitting. Look at the thing and you will see a hole in the end. Use a scratch awl and push it in to see if you can move the switch plate. If so, then check for continuity. If you can’t move the switch, drop the whole thing in acetone for 10 minutes, spray inside w wd40, and check again. If interior switch moves but no continuity then it’s toast.

I have a set of switches ( brand new 2 pole). Send me PM if u need. I’m in AZ so shipping would be quick
aero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 super wiring whoas Reply with quote

I was hoping it was just the fact that I did not have the ignition on or running, but nope. Did not get to check it out but did take it out in the neighborhood for a better test run.

Good news was it ran pretty well. Bad news was the oil leak it had when I got it isnt fixed.

It is a built motor, it appears the builder over torqued the oil cooler and made a hairline crack in the rearmost corner. They epoxied it and it held for 45k. It was already leaking when I got it.. tore it down to find the leak and found that. I chipped it off, sanded it down and applied some more which held for a few times of letting it run for a while. But, it has a slow leak again from that area. I cant see if its the gaskets or that crack.

So I may try it again, with more cleaning and possibly inside the oil channel. It is built, so I cant swap the internals over to a new block without spending a bunch of money. I do have a stock complete engine that came out of it when this one went in, but this one has double the hp.

But at least she looks pretty.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: