Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12 Volt Conversion wiring??
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: 12 Volt Conversion wiring?? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about rewiring my ghia myself. Currently it has a 6 volt system so gonna do the deed and make it 12 volt.

Are the wires different? or can I use the same thikness wires for 12 volt as used for 6 volt??

Thank you,

Lee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 Volt Conversion wiring?? Reply with quote

Yes, you can use the same thickness wires for 6volts when you go to 12volts. In fact the wires for 12 volts are thinner than 6 volts, so you are better off with the thicker 6v stuff. .

Are you fully across the elements that need to be changed out ? If not , just ask and one of the resident auto electric experts will be happy to help out.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 Volt Conversion wiring?? Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:

Are you fully across the elements that need to be changed out ? If not , just ask and one of the resident auto electric experts will be happy to help out.

Nicholas

I barely pulled out the current wires today so haven't even scratched the surface lol...

I'm wondering about what relays to get, I look up flasher relay and only get relays for a 68 and up so not sure what is the correct relays.

Thanks bud!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 12 Volt Conversion wiring?? Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
I'm thinking about rewiring my ghia myself. Currently it has a 6 volt system so gonna do the deed and make it 12 volt.

Are the wires different? or can I use the same thikness wires for 12 volt as used for 6 volt??

Thank you,

Lee

I just converted my 6V to 12V (but did buy a new loom as old loom was beyond hope). A standard 3 pin flasher worked -- but, the indicator in the speedo has to Y'd into the switch circuit. I do have a WW flasher that I've not installed yet.

I've also converted to alternator.

Byas
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 12 Volt Conversion wiring?? Reply with quote

This is a common modification to early VWs and there is a fair bit of advice in this particular thread.....
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=233946
....all 12 pages of it. Shocked
BTW... for the most part, electrically, beetles are very closely related to Ghias.The same things need to be changed out in a 6 to 12 V conversion in both subspecies.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 12 Volt Conversion wiring?? Reply with quote

Wires are sized to safely handle the current they are expected to carry. The voltage isn't so important.

Remember the power law equation, P = I x V where P = power in watts, I = current in amps, and V = voltage.

When the power (wattage) of an electrical device is known, then you can re-work the formula to calculate roughtly how much current the device will draw.

Let's take a standard brake light bulb for example, which is usually 21 watts (for both 6v and 12v bulbs).

21 = I x 6, so to solve for I you make it I = 21/6, I = 3.5A.

In a 12v system it's 21/12 = 1.75A.

Now you understand that for the same power, if the voltage is doubled, the current is halved.

So all the wires in the 6v car are designed to carry the higher currents of the 6v electrical devices. When you convert to 12v you will be halving the current that runs through those wires, so they will be under less strain than they were in the 6v system.

Long way of saying "yes you can use the same wires" Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: