Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

distributor? really?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: distributor? really? Reply with quote

Shocked i'm no expert but i was surprised to see that my '93 uses a distributor for ignition. does that thing actually have a rotor in it? didn't distributors go away in the eighties? is it possible to replace it with an electronic unit without moving parts? just curious. it seems to work okay and i will probably just leave it be. i'm hoping someone who knows more than i do about mechanics will chime in and explain why volkswagon was still using distributors in 1993. thanks!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: distributor? really? Reply with quote

It does have a distributor & it has a rotor but it already has an electronic ignition, no points.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: distributor? really? Reply with quote

postjosh wrote:
Shocked i'm no expert but i was surprised to see that my '93 uses a distributor for ignition. does that thing actually have a rotor in it? didn't distributors go away in the eighties? is it possible to replace it with an electronic unit without moving parts? just curious. it seems to work okay and i will probably just leave it be. i'm hoping someone who knows more than i do about mechanics will chime in and explain why volkswagon was still using distributors in 1993. thanks!

VW is always 10 years behind the curve. They came out with multi valve engine years after Toyota did. And they finally just got on the hybrid and electric car bandwagon.

And we all know how well they did with diesels Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: distributor? really? Reply with quote

I'm assembling a VR6 engine for my neighbor's Corrado, and was blown away that it uses a distributor. I had never seen one on these engines before.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor? really? Reply with quote

Toyota & Honda were still using them after VW gave up on them in M/Y '99.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor? really? Reply with quote

Volvo used them up until 1998
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: