Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ Reply with quote

Much better.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ Reply with quote

am at a loss where thread went about new cable. Bus Depot had the factory cables in the correct color for the longest time. I just replaced one a year ago.

http://www.busdepot.com/211971228a
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
am at a loss where thread went about new cable. Bus Depot had the factory cables in the correct color for the longest time. I just replaced one a year ago.

If I can get an extra 0.5 volts at the starter on a cold morning by buying a larger diameter cable that is the direction I would go.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ Reply with quote

Gary - what gauge is the welding cable you are using?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Gary - what gauge is the welding cable you are using?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ Reply with quote

you can get crimp on battery clamp ends too for those who go straight to the battery.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ Reply with quote

Holy smokes Gary, you don't screw around with your battery cables!

Dayum! Shocked

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ Reply with quote

The nice thing about welding cable is that it is made from hundreds of strands of fine wire (kind of the exact opposite of building wire), making it extremely flexible and vibration-resistant. Add to that a covering designed to be used in a shower of sparks and hot metal environment, and you've got a pretty rugged cable. Love the stuff - but it's not cheap...

And having something like this is helpful for the bigger terminals:
Hammer Crimping Tool

< $20 on Amazon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
The nice thing about welding cable is that it is made from hundreds of strands of fine wire (kind of the exact opposite of building wire), making it extremely flexible and vibration-resistant. Add to that a covering designed to be used in a shower of sparks and hot metal environment, and you've got a pretty rugged cable. Love the stuff - but it's not cheap...

Hammer Crimping Tool

Any further advantage to soldering the ends after crimping then pulling down some heat shrink to cover it?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
telford dorr wrote:

Hammer Crimping Tool

Any further advantage to soldering the ends after crimping then pulling down some heat shrink to cover it?

There are proper ways to solder such things, but most people will end up with a less dependable joint by trying to solder it.

Smear dielectric grease all over the exposed end of the wire and use the correct crimp with a decent crimper and apply heat shrink over the joint and you should have a long lived joint.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

No, and a major disadvantage: solder wicks up the wire a few 1/10's of an inch, making it stiff. When the wire flexes, it's a larger bend radius that starts away from the connector's support, creating a weak point where failure will start. (Yeah, it's a big wire, and failure will take a while, but still...) General rule of thumb: no solder in a high vibration environment without supplemental wire support.

Heat shrink is a good idea, however - helps keep corrosive stuff away from the joint.

Last edited by telford dorr on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

1,028 miles and four states since you posted this thread Colon, how about yourself?
RobbieFromColorado

Why thanks for asking, Robbie. We are at an additional 2,028 miles and 7 states as I pull into Pensacola this evening, poor car, 22,000 miles since friggen May. You just can't give us nice things, we just wear them out.
Colin Razz

Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

That ugly thing with the "universal end" and the dangling red wire is not my original cable, nor is it factory with that garish red insulation. I did buy one of those for the Road Warrior, Steve, and looked like an idiot (a happy idiot) painting the red insulation with a matte black plastic paint to cool down the garish.

So yeah, we're 2,028 miles into this repair and it is working fine. The 2018 Itinerary ends in six hours. What a remarkable bus this has been:

tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ Reply with quote

Engine bay looks a little dirty there Colin.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Oddity In Tucson AZ Reply with quote

You may think no one will ever work on your bus but some day someone will who just knows to hook the red jumper cable up to red, and the black to black. Copper braid is reddish in color and black is positive. Poof
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: