Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 357, 358, 359 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I appreciate all the comments! I don't plan to do anything to the bug that can't be undone. Just some tasteful mods that will help to "make it my own" as they say. cheers!

Emspilot55 wrote:
vdubguru wrote:
I bought my first aircooled vw. Have had many watercooled VW's and a couple Audis but, this is the first of the aircooled persuasion.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
techincally it wasn't today but a week ago... semantics
1968 with a 1600 motor (not original). From the looks of things its been restored once before. pretty clean of rust. There are a few spots here and there but its a good runner.
plans are to get it sitting low with smoothies and white walls, a roof rack and some other little mods. Would like to swap to the blade style bumpers down the road. We'll see what happens!

Cheers!

Beautiful!!
vdubguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

peters3103 wrote:
Fitted a pair of Nankang 145R15’s up front and now no rubbing (even with front passenger and full tank). Also painted inner rims red to match trim colour. Planning to paint outer rim body colour (beige). Tedious job masking up for two toning wheels but it’s worth it! Running drop spindles on stock beam, rims and disc brakes. 6” rims with 205’s on the rear.

she's a real beaut, Clark
Len K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Painted, reinstalled hood

Before

After

Last edited by Len K on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Yesterday:

Replaced the bakelite heat tubes ( Wink with the body on) and then fashioned the "UnderSeat Bakelite to Heater Channel Tubes MkIII" to connect it up, since I do not have the "Y" tubes, nor do I have the cables to work the flaps-even if I did have them.

Now the heat CRANKS Cool

Before pic in middle- note the spa hose just stuck into the bakelite tube w/ broken flange(last year when I bought the bug) and After pics on left and right (with MkIII tubes I made)

Today:
Dad and I installed my shiny, newly restored 205AJ DVDA (Courtesy of Bill) to match with my 34PICT3 (I previously had a Bosch 019 with the flat spot off idle)
Here's it on the bench getting points set and final checks & grease/oiling before install (Bill, look! I found a dust cover for it!!)

HOT DANG I TELL YOU
The Bug just walks away and pulls strong through the RPMs now and pulls strong as soon as you get on the gas now.

I am another believer in the German's wisdom in the matching of the carb&distributor combos, as per stock.

HUGE difference in driveability and performance. If you are running the 009 with a 34pict3- you NEED & WANT to get a matched distributor!

Here's a pic of the 205AJ installed after Dad & I went rippin' through town on the test drive Twisted Evil

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Yesterday:

Today:
Dad and I installed my shiny, newly restored 205AJ DVDA (Courtesy of Bill) to match with my 34PICT3 (I previously had a Bosch 019 with the flat spot off idle)
Here's it on the bench getting points set and final checks & grease/oiling before install (Bill, look! I found a dust cover for it!!)

HOT DANG I TELL YOU
The Bug just walks away and pulls strong through the RPMs now and pulls strong as soon as you get on the gas now.

I am another believer in the German's wisdom in the matching of the carb&distributor combos, as per stock.

HUGE difference in driveability and performance. If you are running the 009 with a 34pict3- you NEED & WANT to get a matched distributor!

Here's a pic of the 205AJ installed after Dad & I went rippin' through town on the test drive Twisted Evil

Glad you like the restored distributor! I see you plugged the retard, yes? How'd ya time it?
Oh, good man getting the dust cover for it as well! Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Glad you like the restored distributor! I see you plugged the retard, yes? How'd ya time it?

Yes, opted to plug the retard. Timed it as a SVDA, checked max advance to about 30* all in mechanical with vacuum lines/ports plugged, then hooked up Vac advance line.

End up it landed about 7*BTDC at idle.

Purrs like a kitten
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Yes, opted to plug the retard. Timed it as a SVDA, checked max advance to about 30* all in mechanical with vacuum lines/ports plugged, then hooked up Vac advance line.

End up it landed about 7*BTDC at idle.

Purrs like a kitten

Awesome!

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Just an FYI- your fuel pump looks like the economy Brazilian one. It doesn't have "C" clip retainers on the rocker pin.

Those pumps w/out the retainer pins are know to do this ^ The pins loosens and backs out. The pump obviously stops pumping and you're on the side of the road with a dead engine. This pump was mounted on my bus when I bought it. I had it for a week and was going to get it off. This happened on the freeway and I had no tools to fix it.

I really enjoyed throwing that pump in the steel recycle pin and mounted a restored German Pierburg with the C clips that hold the pin.

There are a lot of new pumps sold today with the rocker pin secured with "C" clips. Brosal comes to mind.

Here's a picture of the pin with the "C" clips securing the rocker pin.

FYI

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Did a bit of regular maintenance:

Changed to my winter oil castrol 5w/30 and new spin-on filter;
    installed new clutch and brake pedal pads;
    removed the rear drums to clean and lube the adjusting stars which had become almost frozen;
    adjusted the rear brakes
    and swapped out the distributor for the 205AJ with a new compufire module.
    Oh and ordered 6 cans of fluid film for this year's winterization

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Took it to my local garage to have new shocks, struts and steering box installed. I am so excited!
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Yesterday I drove the 68 with the new 1835 for its break-in cruise after the no load break-in. Powerful little engine. Smile

It sputtered and crapped out on the way back, and I haven't had a chance to check it out. I'm betting that it's ignition again. Sigh. lol
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Yesterday I drove the 68 with the new 1835 for its break-in cruise after the no load break-in. Powerful little engine. Smile

It sputtered and crapped out on the way back, and I haven't had a chance to check it out. I'm betting that it's ignition again. Sigh. lol

YOO WHOOO!!!!

Nice job man!

Sputtered sounds like fuel. Ignition is typically on or off.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Could be. I'll figure it out... Wink

Knowing it's mechanically sound is all I care about right now. The rest is just details. Laughing
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Could be. I'll figure it out... Wink

Knowing it's mechanically sound is all I care about right now. The rest is just details. Laughing

Agreed! That is a huge relief! I went through a whole big mechanical issue myself. Not fun!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Loosened the rear brake shoes - had the right side adjust too tight and could feel it snagging when coasting to a stop. Also adjusted the front brakes which I ran out of time for on Sunday.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Pushed my 69 into a shed till I can find a body shop that will fix the horrible job done by a local shop.
vdubguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed some rear seat belts & chrome eyelids on my '68. Great Success!!
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed new white window seals on the side windows. Mine were all cracked and dried out. Gonna install the rear windshield seal tomorrow, but that one's black. I got these cool NOS white window seals from a samba member here. They're west coast metric from the 80s or early 90s. I don't even think they make white ones any more.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Last night I did some measuring and planning for my door-switch-operated LED strip interior lighting.

Plans are to try tackling and install the planned LED lighting tomorrow. Should be able to tie it in and make it operate same as the OEM dome light when the doors open.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Did a nice freeway run with SharkDaughter. Held 75mph easily.

WOOT!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 357, 358, 359 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 358 of 449

Jump to: