Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generator or Alternator?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the early Kubels (hand cranked) have magneto ignition?

Generator or alternator, you gotta have some sort of power to get things sparking.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRJEL wrote:
Did the early Kubels (hand cranked) have magneto ignition?

Generator or alternator, you gotta have some sort of power to get things sparking.

The Army's tech manual is in the Technical Archives.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/TM_E9_...swagen.pdf
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A magneto is what is required to fire a engine without a battery. It has permanent magnets the will generate enough power to fire and ignition and bring a engine to life.

Just like your push hand crank start lawn mower. No battery, just a magneto.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Generator or Alternator? Reply with quote

So My 74 Thing is relatively new to me, and I’m learning about VWs fast, put in new Thing correct front end and exhaust and other minor stuff so far...

Looks like I’ve got some oil leaking from under the generator stand, to replace those gaskets and deflector, I assume the generator will have to be removed, which from what I’m reading requires removing the engine or dropping it at least to get the shroud off. Has anyone found another way to change the gaskets and deflector without dropping the engine?
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator or Alternator? Reply with quote

From Page 1
uberautowerks wrote:
Let me give you all a tip that makes getting a generator or alternator out of our VW's, Things and beetles, heck even busses.

Use a 36mm socket and a longish breaker bar to remove the nut holding the fan to the generator. You know the one around the back? Leave the pulley on use a screwdriver to hold the pulley(as you would while changing the belt).
Once the nut is off, and it's washer, you'll have a lot easier time removing the generator and backing plate. Leave the fan in the shroud then reattatch when reinstalling the generator.
With this tip you don't need to remove or move the intake nor do you have to remove the shroud. You may still need to lift the shroud up a bit to get to the bottom two backing plate bolts, but you only need to lift it an inch or so.

I changed out the generator without removing the fan shroud. I think you should be able to get to the gaskets under the stand.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator or Alternator? Reply with quote

Is it common for the gen idiot lamp to come on when driving with headlights on? I’ve got stock electric, no radio, nothing added, in fact even the power socket/ cigarette lighter socket is unhooked.

Thinking of switching to an alternator... or am I overthinking the warning lamp? Doesn’t come on while driving without headlights.
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator or Alternator? Reply with quote

Not normal.
The Haynes manual has some good troubleshooting for generator issues. And any repair info really.
wiring diagram here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Wiring_Diagram_4-73.pdf
Check grounds on generator and regulator. Check brushes and belt tightness.
Assuming good battery, with engine running, start by checking the voltage at the regulator B+, should be 13.3v to 13.8v depending on idle speed. If not, check the D+ on the regulator, should be above 14v. If not good on B+ but good on D+, probably regulator. If not good on D+, probably generator.
Recheck with lights on and voltages should all be similar. If not, generator may not hold up under load or could be grounds for lights, or voltage drops on wires, switch or fuses.
Does the light go out when at a higher RPM?
The generator should be able to run everything the car came with. unless you are running a lot of extras like fog lights, stereo and other accessories. You are better off finding the cause of the issues before switching out to an alternator.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Generator or Alternator? Reply with quote

Battery is a year old, belt is nice and tight. The gen light is very dim, but on when driving with headlights on, middle range rpm, at idle it’s on brighter. I’ll get a voltage check done. Prob a 44 year old generator, would be surprised if it’s not giving its best anymore.

The only extra thing I’ve added is an oil temp gauge, can’t imagine that’s pulling much extra power.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Generator or Alternator? Reply with quote

BJT wrote:
Battery is a year old, belt is nice and tight. The gen light is very dim, but on when driving with headlights on, middle range rpm, at idle it’s on brighter. I’ll get a voltage check done. Prob a 44 year old generator, would be surprised if it’s not giving its best anymore.

The only extra thing I’ve added is an oil temp gauge, can’t imagine that’s pulling much extra power.

I would say that this is pretty normal, you may well be getting excess voltage drop through the wiring and it is not uncommon for the generator not to be able to keep up with load at idle. After 10m minutes of so of driving with your headlights on you could pull over and feel the various connections in your B+ wiring and see if any are getting overly hot.

B+ = Regulator-starter-fuse box-ignition switch
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator or Alternator? Reply with quote

Wildthings has a point about the voltage drops across the wiring. I've been going through my connections for a couple years. Pulling connections apart, cleaning or replacing the terminals. The latest one is the heater that I still haven't found but did find I was dropping a volt across the light switch. Cleaning the starter connections gave me a little more cranking speed and would be a good place to check.
I had the same issue, generator light glowing at night with the headlights on and replacing the regulator and generator finally cleared that up but I was running stereo and fog lights too. You can run that way as long as you are charging off idle and let the car run for a minute without the headlights on before shutting down. That was on a 5 year old battery that I'm still running 4 years later. Worst case a push start may be needed. Very Happy
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator or Alternator? Reply with quote

My wiring is original and dirty, so I’m sure that’s one of the issues. The PO appears to have used it as a beach Thing, plenty of dust and some sand has been found by me. Haven’t had a hard time cranking, new battery and all. Guess I’ll start cleaning all the connections first and testing the voltage
Thanks all
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: