Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with correct clutch Assembly
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ud40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

I have a 63 bug that I converted to 12 volts and now am going to put in a 1600 with a 200 mm flywheel. I ground out the transmission area and flywheel fits good. I want to make sure I use the correct throw out bearing and pressure plate. The transmission is totally stock so can someone help with this before I place an order thanks.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

You'll want a throw out bearing for 1970 and earlier; the existing throw out bearing would be OK if it's new enough and in good shape.

You need a 200mm pressure plate and disc. The pressure plate needs to have a CENTER RING, so look for PP for 1967-1970 Beetles.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

Cusser, this actually saved me some trouble as well, because I'm doing the same thing with my 62. The clutch I bought came with a new throwout bearing, but I don't think the pressure plate has the center ring.
Do you happen to know which years have the ring? I ordered a 200mm clutch for a 70 beetle.
It is a diaphragm style clutch.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

You will be fine. 70s had what you are after.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

thechief86 wrote:
Cusser, this actually saved me some trouble as well, because I'm doing the same thing with my 62. The clutch I bought came with a new throwout bearing, but I don't think the pressure plate has the center ring.
Do you happen to know which years have the ring? I ordered a 200mm clutch for a 70 beetle.
It is a diaphragm style clutch.

A pressure plate for a 1970 must have a center ring, whether finger type or diaphraqm. Post a photo of yours; should like like mine, like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not like this, this one would be for 1971-on
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

Hmmm I must have gotten the wrong thing then.
I'm stuck at work now, but can check it in the morning. What are the odds of using the center ring from the 180mm clutch that came with the car, if it has one? My car has a throwout bearing in it that apparently worked with the clutch that I got, and my kit also came with a new one.
My engine was out of the car when I bought it, and I'm trying to get it together to go back in.
My car and trans are a 62, the engine I have is a 1970 1600 single port, and had a 180mm clutch and flywheel. I am trying to use a new 200mm flywheel I had, and ordered a 200mm clutch, not knowing the differences, with the center ring and all that.
ud40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

I am glad I asked the question I was going to get the one without the ring. Thanks for the info.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

It turns out that my clutch does not have the ring. Can I install the ring from the old pressure plate onto the new one? If not, I'll have to ship this one back to rockauto and wait for a different one. I see that the ring just extends the distance that the throwout bearing pushes the diaphragm, would that distance not be compensated for by the newer style throwout bearing that came with the car?
I realize these questions are tedious, but my car is stored an hour away and I can't get to it to check until Monday.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

thechief86 wrote:
It turns out that my clutch does not have the ring. Can I install the ring from the old pressure plate onto the new one? If not, I'll have to ship this one back to rockauto and wait for a different one. I see that the ring just extends the distance that the throwout bearing pushes the diaphragm, would that distance not be compensated for by the newer style throwout bearing that came with the car?
I realize these questions are tedious, but my car is stored an hour away and I can't get to it to check until Monday.

It's unlikely you could swap the ring from your old 180mm pressure plate to your new 200mm one. Unless you're broken down on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, your best bet is to get the correct parts for the car that are known to work together instead of trying to cobble things together.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

Yeah, as much as I hate to delay progress on getting this thing back together, I'll just order the right clutch and send this one back.
It's not like I need an extra car right now anyway.
ud40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

Got the engine pulled back enough to see the pressure plate and it has the ring in the middle. One more question what should the throw-out bearing look like ? Just want to make sure. Thanks
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

Like this:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113141165A

I would also use the HD style clips and safety wire them in for added insurance. Its what I usually do and have never had an issue here.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

In essence, there are two styles of throw out bearing and matching clutch plate. The earlier style throwout bearing has ROUND ears and simple horseshoe clips. It uses the clutch plate with a metal ring in the middle.

The later style throw out bearing has SQUARE ears and complex wire clips. It also has a locating collar which projects out towards the clutch plate. This uses the clutch plate with bare metal fingers.

The design change was made largely because the old style horseshoe clips could occasionally drop off.

The newer style thowout bearing can be installed in the older gearbox if the throw out ARM is changed to suit the square style ears.

Just don't mix n match. Round ears with metal-ring clutch plate. Square ears with bare-finger clutch plate.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ud40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. I am sure I will need some more lol. I am restoring this 63 ragtop and it has been a chore making sure I have all the right parts it was a mess when I got it. The transmission has the newer style clutch cable arm not the one that is cocked over to the right some. Does it matter or not just want to be sure before I put the engine in. I put a new clutch cable in but it barely comes thru the arm. Maybe wrong cable?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

The arm can be changed so don't go off that. Really you just need to make sure it has round hooks, and there is no collar bolted to the trans the throw out bearing rides over.

A picture would help. It's really simple once you understand what your looking at. If your not sure what you're looking for, it gets confusing easy.

I once made the mistake of using the early clutch with a later trans. The collar on the late trans started fouling on the PP when I tried installing the engine. Good thing I didn't try forcing it. Took the engine back out and noticed my problem.

There are quite a few threads about this because you're not the only one that's been confused about what PP goes with what throw out bearing and trans.
ud40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with correct clutch Assembly Reply with quote

Sorry to ask so many questions but man seems I have a mix of parts. I have the pedal ass in place with the cable that was in the car but there was no engine. So the cable barely goes thru the clutch arm on the transmission to put the adjuster on want it on there before I stab the motor in place. Question is can you put a later longer cable in? I think the difference is maybe 1/2 inch if that it would make things easier as far as getting the adjuster on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: