Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

adjustable spring plates
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForestVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: adjustable spring plates Reply with quote

starting to put adjustable spring plates on --3 ?s should the adjust meant screw be gotten to from below or above the spring plate --- also should the inner plate still rest on the stop --and what side should it be bolted to the arm -inside or outside . Thanks for any in put--(yes I have changed torison bars before)
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: adjustable spring plates Reply with quote

Below the spring plate.
Does rest on the stop at full droop.
It is on the inside of my 3x3 arms.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ForestVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: adjustable spring plates Reply with quote

ok Im nut nuts -just did not look right at first -Thank You
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: adjustable spring plates Reply with quote

did you put good bushings in too?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: adjustable spring plates Reply with quote

It's fine for the spring plates to be on the stops with the car in the air, but you never want them on the stops when the car is on the ground (on or off road vehicle). Generally you want to have any part (front or back) of a suspension arm approximately 1/4 of the total suspension travel away from the stops. This is called static sag, and will give you the best overall ride quality. Unless you want a constant metal to metal banging as you go over bumps. However, don't take my word for it, ask any suspension guru (road or off road) and you will get the same answer.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
ForestVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: adjustable spring plates Reply with quote

Thanks for the input -with this info it seems that I'm doing it right
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: