Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro alignment SF Bay area
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatboypaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Syncro alignment SF Bay area Reply with quote

I'm needing an alignment on my Syncro camper in the SF bay area.
ASAP!
Any suggestions as to a shop that knows what it is doing, these are apparently hard to align, (I have Derek Drew's instructions).
Thanks, Paul.
guavajelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would call up the bus-lab in Berkeley.
they are pretty good guys. They are always super busy, but they might even point you towards someone that can get to it faster.

adam
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Freds Garage in Redwood City? Very reputable and professional, and have been reviving VW's since 1960.
I get my 2 wheel drive serviced at their shop and I know they did a wheel alignment after a change of control arm bushings.
Not 100% sure about a syncro though. (650) 368-5343.
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro alignment SF Bay area Reply with quote

Reviving this topic. I have done some recent suspension work and just put new tires on the syncro. Does anybody have any decent referrals for an alignment in the bay Area, Preferably SF or Peninsula? Unfortunately Freds garage has closed Sad

Thanks for the help...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro alignment SF Bay area Reply with quote

Five Points Tire in Redwood City. Had mine done there years ago and still straight as an arrow.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro alignment SF Bay area Reply with quote

United performance in SSF. They did a good job on my van.. although I had the Green Book with me and was under the van with the tech.

J
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro alignment SF Bay area Reply with quote

As a mechanic myself it’s not always just the shop or their equipment, it’s having the experienced “old guy” do the actual work and be able to spend as much time as needed to do it right. With that when making an appointment with whoever, tell the service writer or Forman that you’re willing to wait until their “yoda” is available and that your car is weird and old. Also tell them you’re willing to spend the money for actual labor time and not try to pin them down on a price over the phone.

Brian

PS bring donuts for the whole shop when you arrive.
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro alignment SF Bay area Reply with quote

Furthermore I should add. Bring the van in as it would normally be loaded. All the gear you normally carry, half a tank of gas and normal passenger load. Yep they will (should)want the weight of each and where they sit 90% of the time, most shops won’t allow live humans sit in the van while they align it but can replicate their weights with dumbbell weights. There is one other factor and it’s really important, how do you intend to drive it most of the time. Mostly highway, mainly a city bopper, off road, etc.. you see with that info the “yoda” can preload your suspension to replicate your intended driving state. No alignment is perfect, it’s a compromise between values and conditions. These vans are old and have slop/play in all of their joints, rebuilt or not. The intention of educated preload (can take 4 men to preform at times during the alignment job) is to align it best to suit most of your driving conditions.
Perfection isn’t possible, best compromise is but you need to find the men to do it and pay them.
Good luck, tech rant over.
Brian
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro alignment SF Bay area Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
Furthermore I should add. Bring the van in as it would normally be loaded. All the gear you normally carry, half a tank of gas and normal passenger load. Yep they will (should)want the weight of each and where they sit 90% of the time, most shops won’t allow live humans sit in the van while they align it but can replicate their weights with dumbbell weights. There is one other factor and it’s really important, how do you intend to drive it most of the time. Mostly highway, mainly a city bopper, off road, etc.. you see with that info the “yoda” can preload your suspension to replicate your intended driving state. No alignment is perfect, it’s a compromise between values and conditions. These vans are old and have slop/play in all of their joints, rebuilt or not. The intention of educated preload (can take 4 men to preform at times during the alignment job) is to align it best to suit most of your driving conditions.
Perfection isn’t possible, best compromise is but you need to find the men to do it and pay them.
Good luck, tech rant over.
Brian

IIRC the bentley specs are for an unladen van. No need to weigh down the driver or passenger area. At least for the syncro. They are not that hard to adjust. Only three points on each front wheel and two points on the rears.

J
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro alignment SF Bay area Reply with quote

Thanks for the referrals and some good advice.
The Samba Rocks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: