Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

kenwilfy wrote:
If you have bought these lights I have an item that I think would help most folks with the upgrade. It is an adapter plug that will allow you to plug into your existing wiring harness for the 9004 outer light, and then plug into the new H4 bulb. The connectors are different and you would normally need to cut your old harness, and splice in an H4 connector. The only disadvantage of doing this is that it requires some skill with making electrical connections that many van owners don't have. Believe me, I have seen my share of DIY wiring splice jobs over the years. This adapter harness we sell would make the conversion plug and play. You simply plug it in and you are done. It is not expensive and I think it is worth it if you aren't confident in your wiring skills. Also it would allow you to easily put your old lights back if you were going to sell the van at some point but want to transfer your upgraded lights to your next project (of course no one ever does this Smile

Here is a link to the adapter harness on our website:
https://www.vanagain.com/shop/adapter-set-for-h4-headlights-from-9004-vanagon-bulb

You can also see a video of them in action here:

Link

Thanks for the heads up! I’m excellent at electrical but like the ability to easily revert down the road.

My wiring looks great on my original CA Vanagon so I’ll be placing an order for your harness adapters now.
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

I appreciate what Jay is saying and in a perfect world, where the customer is using a good crimping tool and actually knows how to use it, of course a new plug would be the best way to go over using a connector that is 20-30 years old. However, unless you actually know what you are doing, a crimp or bad solder connection can actually be worse than reusing old the plug. The average person can inspect the plug. Most of them are in good condition on the end because there is a seal that keeps corrosion from getting inside the 9004 plug. You should inspect your inner light plugs as well. If you see corrosion, a shot of WD-40 and plugging it on and off of the light a few times should be enough to clean it up.

So if you are a competent electrical person, then go for the splice in. If you are unsure of your skill level, I think it is good to have the plug and play option. I have seen many electrical horrors over the years. Most had good intentions. Sadly that isn't enough.

PS the light kits we are selling come with LED bulbs which are drawing way less power (less than half of stock), so the wiring becomes less of an issue.
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

The Klein 1005 crimping tool does a great job on butt connectors or any other type of standard (heat shrink, vinyl, non-insulated) closed barrel terminal. The crimping jaw located far forward on the tool makes it great for getting into tight areas where many combination strip/crimp tools can't. Knowing that a well cared for Klein tool is something you can hand down to your kids makes the $30.00 price tag a pretty good investment in my book.

A properly crimped connection is only part of the story when it comes to aging automotive wiring however. Oxidation (that green patina most Vanagon owners know all too well) creeps up under the insulation of wires as they age, especially in applications where heat cycling is involved.

None of the major bulb suppliers (Osram Sylvania, Hella, PIAA, Narva etc) offer a drop in LED replacement for the H4 bulb. This is due to the fact that the light output of the LED chip is significantly different than the filament bulb the headlights were designed to use. Purpose made LED projector headlights are great, but swapping a different light source into a reflector headlight will never reproduce the same beam pattern. For the H3 inner high beam bulbs this is probably not much of an issue, but for the main H4 bulb it is important to have a properly managed beam to keep you safe and reduce glare for oncoming traffic.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

Jay, the LED bulbs that are available can be a great option for a Vanagon owner. I have been using them and testing them for over a year now. Do they perfectly mimic the halogen bulb that they are replacing? Not yet. Are they close enough? Yes, I think so. And they are improving by leaps and bounds. The 7" round unit we sell to replace the stock sealed beam is a night an day difference literally and requires no upgraded wiring since the loads are at least half. The 9004 bulbs we sell seem brighter because the light is whiter and it picks up the signs and reflectors on the road better. Again it is unloading the electrical system and the bulbs should last for years and years instead of months.

The OE light bulb makers are staying out of it for now but I am sure they are either preparing to enter the market or they are stubbornly sticking to their old business model and will soon be gone. They don't like the fact that the bulbs last for 10 years or more. It is against how they have done business for the past hundred years and they don't know how to make money without planned obsolescence.

The big problem is that there are so many brands and varieties of LED bulb. Which ones actually work in the Vanagon and which don't? Which are reliable (since they aren't from a known OE brand) and which aren't? That is where buying them through us comes in. We have bought them, tested them, and stand behind what we sell. It is really taking the risk out of it for the customer.

So yes have great wiring. That is always desirable. But know that many folks that buy a relay kit, really have no business installing it themselves. They just don't have any tool skills whatsoever. A plug in LED bulb is really the best way for them to go even though it isn't perfect, it is better than a botched install of some new wiring. That is just my opinion. Not wanting to step on toes or offend.
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

I saw a excerpt from an 19 September email from the manufacturer, intending to recall these headlight for a safety-related defect. No word from BD on how this will be handled; and I just got mine Sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

The original batch was held up due to these issues, which is why everything was delayed. Why would you post this here and worry a bunch of people instead of asking Bus Depot?

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

In short, the safety concerns you’re posting about are not applicable to this latest batch of lights shipped by Bus Depot.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

That email originated from a distributor, not the manufacturer, and the headlights it references were from their inventory, not ours. Before we shipped any of the headlights we checked a number of them and even test fit some. We did not find any problems, and have not received any reports from customers. (Of course this is not to say that a defect can't possibly happen, with these or any item - but if so we would certainly stand behind them, just shoot us an email.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

Thank you.for.the clarification. I had no intention of creating a panic. I was just looking for the answer you gave.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

We closely inspected every single light we sent out too, even before there was any idea of an "issue". They were all very nice. In the immortal words of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, "Don't Panic".

Also posting printed out, crumpled up, emails just isn't a nice thing to do. You should have contacted Bus Depot privately with your concerns first. Just saying.
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
Cubson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

Just wanted to add my experience.

The headlights on my '91 were both foggy inside and I have removed and cleaned them a few times, but the moisture returned after a couple of days, so I was going to switch to the S.A. headlamps/grill to solve the problem even though I prefer the stock square headlight look. Then Bus Depot came out with this kit and I am stoked!

The quality of the headlights and bracket seems good. The install was easy, bracket fit perfectly and the wiring was not hard (I got the "upgrade kit") and I also wired the DTLs per the instructions and they are working and better than nothing!

I have not had a chance to check the alignment yet or driven at night, but they look bright & clear and are way better looking than my old watery shit. Maybe tonight I'll go cruise around to see how they look, but the adjusters seem to be set sort of close to where they should be already....

So far, I'm satisfied with this headlight replacement kit.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
MadMarkuss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

My Vanagon now lights up the road like a modern vehicle...great safety investment. Thanks Bus Depot
87RedWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

Wow. What a difference. I installed mine, then had a shop aim them. Went out at night and even low beam seemed way too bright. But no one flipped their lights at me, so all is good. Nice update.
TurtsMcSlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

Are these not available anymore? Can’t find them on the site anywhere.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

How do LEDS keep the lenses clear of snow/ice in winter driving? With no heat load, do you have to go out and clean them off?

That does not sound like fun
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
How do LEDS keep the lenses clear of snow/ice in winter driving? With no heat load, do you have to go out and clean them off?

That does not sound like fun

This Bus Depot kit is supplied with H4 bulbs, not LED.

LED bulbs in housings with reflectors meant for H4 bulbs has many negatives; you can find this discussed in detail elsewhere, but it’s not applicable to the topic of this bolt in upgrade kit.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

At the present time the kit is off our site, as we have sold through our entire stock. I do not have an ETA yet for more, but it may be months. As soon as I know something more I will put the kit back on our site and post a note here.
TurtsMcSlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
At the present time the kit is off our site, as we have sold through our entire stock. I do not have an ETA yet for more, but it may be months. As soon as I know something more I will put the kit back on our site and post a note here.

Thanks for the reply Ron. I was wondering if my mind was slipping again after reading so many different threads about upgrades that I need to do.
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps Reply with quote

Looks like they're back in stock, just placed an order for my early Christmas present.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: