Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LP tank is at the wrong angle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscarowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

Hello all. Luckily I've been plodding along a year into my first Westy ownership and all seems to be well for now.

I did run out of LP in my tank the other night while cooking out for the family.

I went to fill up at an LP fill up facility and they notified me their hookup will not fit my tank as it hits the van body right at the bottom seam. Sure enough it seems what is usually a bit of a downward angle on the filler valve of the tank to accommodate a filler valve is more like perfectly perpendicular to the body of the van. Thus... the filler has no room to attach.

I've thought of possibly making a flexible connector out of the appropriate plumbing fixtures as opposed to messing with the tank. It would be nice to pull the tank and clean it up a bit, but seeing I have not had any leaks (that I know of)...I hate to introduce any new issues.

Any thoughts or advice?

Many thanks!
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

Is your tank a non-stock tank? Or added later? Maybe a picture of your setup would help troubleshoot the situation.

They are as pain to get at, but most fill adapters should fit.

A past (banned) member is selling a “Vanagon Westfalia Propane Fill Valve Extension” on his website - http://vanagonwestfaliaaccessories.com. (about 1/3 of the way down the manifesto - circa 2002 webpage)

I have no idea how well it works - it looks kinda crude but at least it’s expensive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

Mine (both original and GW replacement) have a slight angle -- makes it tricky for the attendant who assumes (hard to see down there) that it is pointing straight out. I mention it to them along with my other comments ('have to open the bleed valve a lot' and 'it holds less than 3 gallons and it isn't empty').

I would try another location to see if the issue is with the attendant or something unique to their equipment.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy anything from Terry Kay

You could get an adapter that would be helpful in other ways. This POL adapter with another part could be used to connect a 1 lb bottle to your tank if you happen to run out while cooking dinner.

https://www.protanksupply.com/shop/fittings/acme-f...le-acme-2/
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Most likely your valve is OK and the LP place doesn't want to trouble with it for 2.5 gallons of propane. How else would it have been used for all these years.
You could just try another place. Their fill handle may be hitting the van a little, somethings they have to rotate the thing a bit to get it to work. Other times I have seen them kick the bash plate to get it angled down enough.

You can find all over the internet "1 3/4" ACME Fill Extension", or various adapters to make a flexible hose adapter. But it needs to look professional and safe or the propane place may not want to fill with it.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

I'd like to see a picture too. Within reason, you might be able to shim the tank down on the outer side if that is what it would take. A few thick washers between the floor of the van and the tank bracket would accomplish this. I recall the studs are longer than they need to be. I don't think it would affect the "Safety" of it.

I have a welcome mat I put down for the attendant filling my tank. I always tip $5 also in case another vanagon comes by one day.
Xerox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

Banned Members?!? ohhh my...

I don't think I want to know what it takes to get banned
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

As mentioned, a couple pix would help in determining whether you have a stock setup.

Could be that the place you went uses an angled filler, while most places use a straight filler.

I've also found there's quite a bit of variability between LP facilities, where one guy takes one look at the Westy and knows just what to do, and another is utterly baffled. Usually the latter ... Once you find a place you like, keep using it, and treat them right: cushioned kneeling pad, a few extra bucks, friendly banter, a plate of cookies, a back massage, whatever it takes ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

Xerox wrote:

There are rules of conduct. I believe you get warned first.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Xerox wrote:

There are rules of conduct. I believe you get warned first.

And PM's
And eMails,
And Phone Calls......... ^^^^^
(And a lot of Moderator discussion amongst ourselves)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

Yup if you look down the filler is angled. They need to approach it from the bottom.
oscarowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all of the info everyone. The attendant was rather nice. I forgot the name, but it was on Lincoln Blvd across from the marina in Mara Vista, LA.

He seemed like he wanted to help and got another guy to look at it and they both agreed. The filler mechanism they had did look bulky. Its my first fill up so I am not aware of what is normal or not.

Not sure if my tank is stock or not. I assume yes. Obviously its been removed at some point for the angle to be off.

I like the ideas of adding shims. Also like the ability of adding propane from 1lb tanks with my own adapter.

How big are the LP tanks? Less than three lbs right? Sounds like making the adapter and not trekking down to an LP place is the best answer using the adapter for 1lb tanks. Probably not most cost conscious, but for our current limited camping it could be perfect.

Attached are photos. You can see how close to the bottom of the body panel. Measurement is only about 1.25 inches of clearance. Let me know what you think. Thanks so much!

oscarowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

I've been thinking. Maybe this valve can be rotated downward?

Also how do you fully bleed the tank before working on it?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

Wow, that's quite different from mine.

FWIW, here's my tank, albeit a newer one (and with a filler extension being modeled), but the original was not much different:

Looks like yours might be an early style:

...which is discussed here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7146709 . Even if you can rotate it downward, some folks recommend replacing it with a modern valve.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

Looks somewhat like my old crusty tank's fitting but still hard to tell.

If the OP has fittings like my old tank you really should replace the Bleeder, Fill and Regulator to more modern ones.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

there's no way a propane fill nozzle will fit on the photos you've shown given the angle to the rocker panel.

something has happened.... that is NOT the normal angle. tank could've been hit and bent the mounting brackets, tank could be from a different application, whatever.

so. you could shim the tank downward and tilt it at the same time. the mounting studs are long. or you could replace the tank. be aware that OEM there are thick washers between the tank ears and the floorpan. but they are normally only 1/4" thick or so.

me, i like a new tank every now and then. some places are VERY particular about having a modern, rust free tank with OPDs.. Overfill Protection Devices installed, even with the 80% vent.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
oscarowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

Well...looks like I am going to call an audible and switch to a 1 lb set up and leave the LP tank empty.

I'll pull up the thread and follow some leads on how to best carry it out.

Any reason I should not go that route? Any suggested feeds to carry it out?

Thanks for all the help!
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

That is a weird situation. Certainly makes me wonder how it got that way.

As for bleeding, didn't you say it ran out? Just light the stove and let whatever little bit is left burn off. You don't even need to get the LP out to remove the tank, but you will if you are replacing just the fill valve or the service valve.

I don't know if they make a fill valve that tilts, so that just seems odd. The picture is kind of crappy to really see the detail. With it angled up that much, I don't know if can get enough washers on the outside edge to angle it down enough. If it was mine, I would want to dig into to see what is going on. Those old style fill valves with the internal auto stop are hated by filling stations. They don't really know how to operate them and they are finicky anyway. So a new fill valve at least is in order.

It isn't very hard to remove the tank and clean it up and look it over. With that fill valve at a weird angle, a new fill valve won't be any better I don't think. YOu you might just need to replace the whole thing. But new and shiny tank gives you a nice feeling anyway and eliminates hassles getting it filled even if you could fanagle something. I would take it off the van and clean it up and take a couple more pics before throwing down for a new tank, but you may end up there anyway.

BTW, the tanks were normally 3 gallons and the bleeder is set at 80% so a little less than 2.5 gallons is what it should take. The newer versions I think are 3.2 gallons so you get a little more. A gallon of LP is 4 pounds, so there are quite a few 1 lb bottles in those tanks. And the idea of filling off of 1 lb bottles is not a good way to go. Those fill adapters are just nice for temporary use if you run out while cooking, or want to keep running the fridge until you the next day when you can head into town to get the tank filled.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

oscarowner wrote:
Well...looks like I am going to call an audible and switch to a 1 lb set up and leave the LP tank empty.

I'll pull up the thread and follow some leads on how to best carry it out.

Any reason I should not go that route? Any suggested feeds to carry it out?

Thanks for all the help!

That idea has some merit but some downsides. Are you still using the LP fridge? If so the on board tank is super helpful. If you use 1 lb bottles, you will go through a lot over several years. It is an extra hassle you don't really have to deal with if you just have a working on board tank.

Is $350 to get a new tank really a deal breaker? If you decided to go with 1 lb setup, you should still do it right and redo some of the plumbing, and remove the tank. There are costs involved to do it right. And no point in leaving a heavy boat anchor hanging off the van for no reason.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

I don't see how you can rotate the fill valve down looking at your picture. The fill coupling is centered on the fitting. You could rotate as much as you want and center is center.

Years ago, I started a thread on how could I connect 1lb bottles to get ready for a maiden voyage. Time was running out. I came up with a "rig", but have never used it. I was able to refurbish my tank and am glad I did.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244556&highlight=

I suspect some accident damage either to the tank or the rocker area.
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: LP tank is at the wrong angle Reply with quote

I have I have removed and re-installed many of these tanks. Often I find that a previous owner has replaced the tank without using the proper washers that go between the tank mount and the bottom of the van. If you tank has the washers simply shim your tank down. Nothing to worry about. Ive done it I've dome it many times.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: