Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gap sizes for doors, hood, trunk
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Gap sizes for doors, hood, trunk Reply with quote

Hello friends,

Is there a specification for the size of the gaps for the hood, trunk and decklid?

Thanks!
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Gap sizes for doors, hood, trunk Reply with quote

No, just make the gap equal on all sides. These cars were hand made so there are differences plus who knows how many times it was in a body shop.
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gap sizes for doors, hood, trunk Reply with quote

3.5 - 4 mm

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Gap sizes for doors, hood, trunk Reply with quote

Yes the reply by Matt I have seen in writing as well. The gaps on some restorations these days are closer take a look on ABCGT.com and Justin Rio's efforts they are really close.
The gap is difficult to get perfect on the doors at the A pillar end. Paint thickness also has to be accounted for. Front hood seals need to be correct as they need to compress well.

Not easy at all to get them all exactly the same. I gave up in the end Wink

Roy
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gap sizes for doors, hood, trunk Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I would think that a quality single stage with primer would leave about 1mm on the surface, (about .004") Maybe shoot for 5.5-6mm in lead?

One of the cars I'm working on is a real mess. I'm in the process of hanging a new nose clip and now is the time to start thinking about setting gaps.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gap sizes for doors, hood, trunk Reply with quote

1 mm = 0.040 " I'm not sure how thick paint is on 2 surfaces (easily researched I think) but 1 mm would definitely be the max. I was thinking 0.5 mm allowance

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gap sizes for doors, hood, trunk Reply with quote

I think I accidentally moved a decimal point.
Colorado Springs
dvogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gap sizes for doors, hood, trunk Reply with quote

I thought this T52 tool from Stoddard was specifically for assisting with setting correct gaps.

I created a CAD model of this, so if you have a 3D printer let me know. You can print your own at home.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Gap sizes for doors, hood, trunk Reply with quote

That's interesting...Thanks for posting.
Colorado Springs
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gap sizes for doors, hood, trunk Reply with quote

Check out this interview with Jim Kellogg. He talks about factory gaps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPwhlJ4oBd8

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: