Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flickering charge light
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan B Condy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Flickering charge light Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to this forum so please excuse any transgressions. I have a 1975 Type 2 1800 bus with solex carb/s.
I have an odd condition regarding charge warning light, even with ignition turned off or with wiring plug pulled off the charge warning light flickers on and off. I have a split charge relay fitted and this will chatter in time with the ignition light, I've disconnected the supply to the relay but the light still flickers. I'm getting a voltage at the relay of up to 1.5 volts although voltage is erratic. Any directions of investigation would be useful. Many thanks, Alan
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Flickering charge light Reply with quote

I'd double check your wiring to the charge relay first.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Flickering charge light Reply with quote

Post a pic of this "charge relay" so we can see what you're talking about.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan B Condy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Flickering charge light Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi, thanks for your responses, I've uploaded diagram of split charge circuit, it simple splits charge between main battery and auxiliary. The switched live is taken from the charge warning light circuit and operates when positive level of charge is reached and light goes out. This is a Hella kit and was purchased from Just Kampers. Thanks, Alan
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Flickering charge light Reply with quote

What is the amp rating for that relay? Yes I see it is fused but that looks to be a rather small relay for charging a battery, most dual charging systems use a high amp latching relay.

For a quickie check the 85 ground wire connection, verify it is making a good contact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan B Condy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Flickering charge light Reply with quote

Hi it's 15amp rating, although I've never fitted an auxiliary battery to put it under any load. Alan.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Flickering charge light Reply with quote

But you are powering the relay? Since it is not being used try disconnecting the 86 terminal as a quick test.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan B Condy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Flickering charge light Reply with quote

Hi thanks for quick response. I have disconnected feed at terminal but charge light still flickers. Think I'll try running a new cable from voltage regulator to charge light, I think it must be picking up a small feed from somewhere. Alan.
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Flickering charge light Reply with quote

that's the cheapo dual battery relay that bus depot sells. the reason i know is that i have it. works fine but likes to blow that 15 amp fuse.....good luck

"what good are tractors without violins ?" jose figueres
Alan B Condy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Flickering charge light Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, I'll keep an eye on that. Alan
Alan B Condy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Flickering charge light Reply with quote

Think I may be closer to the answer but I bit more advice would be welcome. I replaced supply cable from voltage regulator to ignition warning light but it made no difference I then checked output D+ on voltage regulator to find there is an output of 9.09 volts. I fitted a new/ rebuilt Hella alternator about three months ago but now suspect there may be a fault with it? Any other suggestions please. I have replaced the current ( no pun intendeed ) with a new one with the same result. Alan.
Alan B Condy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Flickering charge light Reply with quote

Just replaced alternator with one I had repaired when I purchased my latest one, no more flickering light, no more chattering relay. Seems even the Hella rebuilds are'nt perfect, luckily still under warranty so can get it replaced. Thanks to all who responded. Until the next time, Alan.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Flickering charge light Reply with quote

Alan B Condy wrote:
Just replaced alternator with one I had repaired when I purchased my latest one, no more flickering light, no more chattering relay. Seems even the Hella rebuilds are'nt perfect, luckily still under warranty so can get it replaced. Thanks to all who responded. Until the next time, Alan.

Ccongrats on figuring out the issue. Cool

Hopefully someone else with the same symptoms will find this in the future. Smile

My 1968 Campmobile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: