Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got the hood off now what?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Got the hood off now what? Reply with quote

Finally got the hood off I separated it from the dash for ease of rewiring .

Couple of questions is it possible to strip the paint off and expose the gelcoat underneath?

Can you use a mechanical tank sender underneath the hood of one of these dune buggies and have it work properly? I'm going to take the tank to the radiator shop tomorrow. It's pretty clean inside hopefully it all cleaned up and be okay since it's custom welded for Center Mount fuel cap.

When I turn the wheels by hand when jacked up there's a nice little bit of play at the steering box should I just replace the steering box? All that old wiring is getting yanked out tomorrow and pedals and master cylinder

I'm excited onward and forward
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Got the hood off now what? Reply with quote

You can adjust the steering box to tighten it up. If you don't have some kind of service manual I would get one to help you out. While you have the box off I would take it apart and inspect the inside, clean everything pack it with grease and put new seals in it.

You can strip the paint off the gelcoat. I'm not a real paint and body guy so someone can chime in with the best method for that. I'd use aircraft paint stripper and wash the body repeatedly after it's stripped

brad
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Got the hood off now what? Reply with quote

Outside is sure not very clean! That's a lot of rust. Have you found a welder that will weld on a used gas tank? Many will not since even years old gas fumes go BOOM. The tank has to be flooded with an inert gas before welding. You can buy a new unused tank for $100 and start your welding in safety on it.
markdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Got the hood off now what? Reply with quote

Yes sadly looks like I'll be buying a new tank and Welding a new bung just trying to keep the budget down a hundred here hundred there adds up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: