Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

With the door removed from the car, and after the hinge pins were soaked with penetrating oil for several hours, I tried again with this ebay tool. With the door upside down on the floor, I Mounted the tool on the bottom hinge per the instructions, cranked on the bolt, and the bolt snapped. The hinge pin didn’t budge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

Planning to bring the door to a local friends place who has a compressor and pneumatic hammer.

What size punch is that in your picture?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

Its the skinny one that comes in the Harbor freight 3 pack, see in link below for the kit. I didn't even need to spray any lube in there, popped it out pretty quickly.

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-long-air-chisel-set-3-pc-68276.html
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

This morning I attempted to press the bottom hinge pin out with my vise as suggested elsewhere here on the samba.

Even when cranking on the vise handle with a 3 foot cheater bar, the hinge pin wouldnt budge Shocked

Hoping the air hammer will do it!
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

I took the door to a friends place today to use his air hammer.

After several attempts hammering away on the lower hinge pin...nothing. Shocked We tried heating it and still nothing. Sad

As a last resort, I guess I’ll try drilling it out. That should keep me busy for a long time Very Happy
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

So, I decided to buy and try the Eastwood pin removal tool. After 2 weeks of Repeatedly soaking the hinge pin with Seafoam Deep Creep Penetrant; this morning I heated the hinge with a torch and attached the Eastwood tool using the shortest pin. I triple checked everything to make sure the tool was alinged properly, and started tightening its bolt with a 19mm socket attatched to a 12” breaker bar.

I really leaned into the breaker bar, however, the only result I achieved was distorting the end of the tool’s pin...and the hinge pin didn’t budge Rolling Eyes

Any suggestions?

bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670917&highlight=

just make one that works
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670917&highlight=

just make one that works

Pm sent
sparkyt72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

lucky8ballgarage.co.uk/

come visit our site ..

take a look
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

Great tool!

Only suggested improvement is to put a female end (smaller than the diameter of the pin) on the extension pieces. It looks like there is a possibility that the original small pin and the extension are misaligned and can slip off. You can see that they are not in a straight line when you first start the tool off with the extension.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

sparkyt72 wrote:
lucky8ballgarage.co.uk/

come visit our site ..

take a look

I visited your website and watched your video, handy tool!

Can your tool also do the bottom hinge with the door and running board in place on the car?
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
sparkyt72 wrote:
lucky8ballgarage.co.uk/

come visit our site ..

take a look

I visited your website and watched your video, handy tool!

Can your tool also do the bottom hinge with the door and running board in place on the car?
I e mail the guy about this tool and he said running board needs to be off.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

After several unsuccessful attempts using various methods and tools to remove the hinge pins from a replacement door I had acquired some time ago, I bought one of 8 Ball Garage’s pin removal tools.. It’s designed, manufactured, and operates very well!

I did manage to break the handle that came with the tool, however, that was easily remedied by fabricating a replacement handle comprised of a 150mm length of 12.9 grade 12mm threaded rod, two 50mm lengths of stainless steel spacers, four 12mm washers, and a 12mm nut.

Using this tool, the top pin came out very easily. The bottom pin, however, continues to resist. I’ll let it soak with penetrant for a few more days, and then give it another go.

sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

Depending on how frozen your pins are the only way to get them out may be to cut them out, which is how I did it.

Make a longitudinal cut at the back of the hinge through the pin and push the pin halves out.

Squeeze the hinges around the new pins and weld the cuts back together. This actually works better than you might think. It looks like butcher work but if you do it right you can't see the welds and the new pins are nice and snug.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

Popped mine out w this tool from Harbor Freight.

Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

I tried that too but it just ended up mushrooming the pin and making things worse. Not only did I have to cut the hinge apart but I also had pry it open to get the mushroomed pin out.

Don
birdmansuperbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

I have given up trying to remove pins. I just bought 4 new hinges and replaced them. It would seem to be more work but in the end it worked better.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Door Hinge Pin Removal Tool Reply with quote

I couldn’t get the lower pin to budge..... so I drilled out the rivets and removed the entire lower hinge.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: