Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

My first post/thread on The Samba

Last month I purchased a Cobalt Blue 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback, which I plan over time to have restored. I bought it off a guy from California via eBay, and here was his description:

California rust free car

New 1776cc engine with 1200 miles as of Sept 2018 (~52,600 on odometer); The engine was built in San Marcos, California by the winner of 3 Baja 500's Headflow Masters; All new parts other than the block; EMPI carbs are brand new, as is the electronic ignition: Exterior oil cooler and oil filter; Powder coated tin was done when the engine was built

Transmission with 4000 miles as of Sept 2018 (~49,800 on odometer); EMPI shifter; New shifter bushing, so it shifts smoothly (My note: I don’t really like the EMPI shifter last owner installed)

Fuel lines and oil lines are new, including the fuel lines in the trunk (My note: I've been trying to chase down leaking gasoline vapors; Tightened the hoses in the truck and added a new gas cap; Tonight I tightened the fuel gauge sender bolts, which I found to be rather loose)

Everything works, including the heater, wipers, blinkers, dash lights, original VW horn, high and low beams, brake lights, reverse lights, marker lights, speedometer, odometer, & gas gauge; even the license plate light works; New emergency break cable; The only thing that doesn't work is the clock

Drain parts on the front vents (between the trunk and the windshield) work, which is what allows the windshield vents to work

Rear light lenses, as well as the front blinker lenses are new

New tires; 165 all the way around (My note: I bought a new, correctly sized spare tire; The one that came with the Squareback was rather worn)

Starter and charging system, including the battery and regulator, are brand new. The generator was replaced with an original VW Type 3 generator from a pick a part and works perfectly (My note: Starter was defective upon delivery; wire btwn solenoid/starter cut; I installed new starter on Oct 3, which seller graciously reimbursed the cost)

Front hood pops, however the hinge to keep it up needs to be welded back on; Original antenna and all original mirrors; Door and other panels are all genuine VW, best available at a VW pick a part; Genuine VW heater boxes so no rattling like the aftermarket ones

Windshield is new, all other glass is good including the pop-out side windows; Roll up windows work effortlessly; Doors open and shut perfectly; Excellent body lines all around with no signs of any trauma/accidents

Runs strong, drives straight, stops, steers and starts like it should; Needs normal body work, paint, and interior; under the seat covers is basically the seat frames in very good condition

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is me the day the car arrived in Illinois

Picture of the engine provided by the seller prior to installation

I have an appointment this coming Saturday at a shop to discuss the body restoration and painting. I'm looking at Sewfine for all the interior supplies. So far, I've bought custom 8-spoke wheels, which I’ll have installed after body restoration, a new steering wheel with horn ring, and a new lockable gas cap.

My wife and I nicknamed our Squareback Birdie with the reason being two-fold. We both like the Eastern Bluebird and I'm a lifelong Toronto Blue Jays fan since the team started in 1977.

Last edited by rocketeer928 on Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:51 am; edited 2 times in total
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone happens to be interested in my 2003 VW Jetta TDI, which I started modifying in 2008, then click this link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223085

It's a rather long thread, but very detailed.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

Well, it looks/sounds like it has been well cared for!
The fuel filter in the engine compartment is bad news though.
They get blamed for all the VW engine fires.
It should be up front by the fuel tank, where it would just leak onto the ground.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
The fuel filter in the engine compartment is bad news though. They get blamed for all the VW engine fires. It should be up front by the fuel tank, where it would just leak onto the ground.

Good point! That's how it showed up. Where exactly? In the trunk (seems like bad idea) or under the car somewhere?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

There was a fuel filter attached to the front beam after the fuel supply comes out of the fuel tank when it was still fuel injected.
You'll find a fuel return line there that was probably abandoned & capped off on the passenger side of the tunnel.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

Most of us put it along side the transmission. Some do it to reduce the hose size from 5/16ths to 1/4 inch to feed the carbs and fuel pump.

Looks like a decent start. Very Happy The 71's do have some 1 year only parts, so be aware of that, but most of them have a work around.
Post some pics of the pop outs, as most 71's didn't get them (VW discontinued them after 70).
Are you going to add the upper side trim? If so, I suggest going with ISP's stainless version, as it looks good, and can be polished. Aluminum is stock, but it's anodized aluminum.
Do you have the hoses for the outlets of the fan shroud to heater boxes?
Have fun with it. Looks to be a good winter project. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips about the fuel filter; I'll be making a change for sure.

Bobnotch: Birdie is a 1970 Squareback, and not a '71. I will look into the stainless trim, as I definitely want it added. No extra parts came with the car, so I probably don't have the hoses for the outlets of the fan shroud to the heater boxes. Perhaps this is why I don't seem to have any heat.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

I used 18" sections of ducting from www.AircraftSpruce.com on my '67 square to get our heater working.
My wife was finally happy with it after she had Heat! Twisted Evil

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

You're off to a good start. My fuel filter (carbs) is at the tank where the original FI filter used to live, but, honestly, changing it there is a real messy job. Placing it alongside the trans is prob just as safe and a whole lot easier to replace when the time comes.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

GjMan wrote:
You're off to a good start. My fuel filter (carbs) is at the tank where the original FI filter used to live, but, honestly, changing it there is a real messy job. Placing it alongside the trans is prob just as safe and a whole lot easier to replace when the time comes.

Plus it catches any crap that maybe in the tunnel fuel line. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

I bought a roof rack for Birdie. The boxes to the right are 8-Spoke Polished Wheels. None of these will be installed until the body is restored and painted.

oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

rocketeer928 wrote:
I bought a roof rack for Birdie. The boxes to the right are 8-Spoke Polished Wheels. None of these will be installed until the body is restored and painted.

Nice. Where did the rack come from?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:
rocketeer928 wrote:

Nice. Where did the rack come from?

It looks just like the one I got from Reese - user Sub90 here.
He doesn't have an ad up for them currently, but you could send him a message to see if he's planning to make a run of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

Yes, Reese
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

Nice start for sure...having the header is nice for sure...no heat in Illinois will be chilly for sure. Been working on my since March as it was parked for ten years. Finally getting to drive it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
The fuel filter in the engine compartment is bad news though. They get blamed for all the VW engine fires. It should be up front by the fuel tank, where it would just leak onto the ground.

The last two nights I got rid of the braided fuel line, as I was told it degrades rather quickly due to the ethanol in gasoline, and re-positioned a new fuel filter underneath near the tranny.

Edit: I ordered a metal fuel line to go from the fire wall tin to near the fuel tunnel exit.

Last edited by rocketeer928 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I used 18" sections of ducting from www.AircraftSpruce.com on my '67 square to get our heater working.
My wife was finally happy with it after she had Heat!

I just ordered 2.25" ducting from Aircraft Spruce. The 2" hose I got from JBugs that they indicate is for my Squareback doesn't fit, as the diameter is the same as the openings to the fan shroud and heat exchangers.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

rocketeer928 wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:
My wife was finally happy with it after she had Heat!

I just ordered 2.25" ducting from Aircraft Spruce. The 2" hose I got from JBugs that they indicate is for my Squareback doesn't fit, as the diameter is the same as the openings to the fan shroud and heat exchangers.

I think it's close. The 2.25 inch stuff should work fine though. The fan shroud is 2 3/16ths, while the heat exchanger end is like 2 1/8th inch. This is why the 2" stuff doesn't work, but the 2 1/4 does.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

When in process on my engine I almost when the header route, so I did keep the stock heater muffler arrangement. The new muffler was found here for a reasonable cost. The stock heater is HOT when compared to my type ones. The sound of the type three stock muffler is music to my ears.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: rocketeer928 - My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie Reply with quote

Yesterday I placed a big down payment on restoration at Midwest Autosavers, Inc. in Cary, IL, and I plan to drop off Birdie early next week. The shop will get all the parts needed and I plan to order an interior from Sewfine (haven't decided on interior color yet). I'm told I'll get her back in May, but I'm realistically hoping for June.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: