Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally got around to installing my rear safari. (pic heavy)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
David11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
I guess it's an interesting modification, but I do not understand it. Why would you want to do this? Perhaps just because you could?

It seems to me that you would want this window to open perhaps while the bus is sitting still, like when camping or "tailgating". But then, just open the hatch and get even more air.

You would not want the window open while driving around, as it would suck in exhaust fumes.

And it's an additional source of water leaks.

So, why is this window any sort of advantage? I don't get it.

I must be missing something...

I guess the same could be said about me lowering the bus to begin with. Dunno. I like Krautski's reason. Laughing

Glad you like it. Random pics from the Tx Classic weekend.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Hey man not to high jack your tread but what are the specs on your suspension? And do you like the monza exhaust? I am in Fort Worth and just picked up a 69 with all kinds of problems but should be road worthy soon!

ChazLawler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your bus have a sunroof? I see the outline of what might be a sunroof in a couple of your pictures. If it does have a sunroof, how are the exhaust fumes with it and the rear safari window open?

Chaz
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got around to installing my rear safari. (pic heavy) Reply with quote

The Wolfgang website says:

"There are two tabs that will have to be welded in and the rest of the kit screws in."

I'm just curious... does most of it actually SCREW in (like all the way around the perimeter) - or does the rubber seal actually pop over the lip like a factory window seal? I'm guessing they were just talking about the top hinge screwing in and the rubber installs like normal, yeah?

Also, for all you knuckleheads who keep fussing about the exhaust fumes - this mod is intended for STATIONARY vehicles (camping, fresh air, etc). Yeah, duh - if you drive with it open you'll get fumes. Can we put that dumb reply to rest already? It's like if everyone was bitching about how you'll catch a lot of bugs if you even own a pop-top... they aren't intended for highway use! So get over it. That's not an argument against this mod/part, it's just incorrect usage. You can use just about anything incorrectly, but it doesn't mean that the part or the idea sucks, it just means you suck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got around to installing my rear safari. (pic heavy) Reply with quote

when the window is closed, does latches and slides protrude into the rear area? would it scalp a sleeper turning over on a bed?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got around to installing my rear safari. (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:

"There are two tabs that will have to be welded in and the rest of the kit screws in."

I'm just curious... does most of it actually SCREW in (like all the way around the perimeter) - or does the rubber seal actually pop over the lip like a factory window seal? I'm guessing they were just talking about the top hinge screwing in and the rubber installs like normal, yeah?

Also, for all you knuckleheads who keep fussing about the exhaust fumes - this mod is intended for STATIONARY vehicles (camping, fresh air, etc). Yeah, duh - if you drive with it open you'll get fumes. Can we put that dumb reply to rest already? It's like if everyone was bitching about how you'll catch a lot of bugs if you even own a pop-top... they aren't intended for highway use! So get over it. That's not an argument against this mod/part, it's just incorrect usage. You can use just about anything incorrectly, but it doesn't mean that the part or the idea sucks, it just means you suck.

You will find those same old knuckleheads worrying about the seal being good when closed, thats why they are old.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got around to installing my rear safari. (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:

Just the hinge screws in. The rest is a pinch welt. Plus two welded tabs.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got around to installing my rear safari. (pic heavy) Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
when the window is closed, does latches and slides protrude into the rear area? would it scalp a sleeper turning over on a bed?

Yes the slides do. I have hit my head on it while the hatch is open numerous times. It SUCKS.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got around to installing my rear safari. (pic heavy) Reply with quote

ouch! thanks for the response.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: