Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

48 DRLA Aux vent drip - tight valves
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: 48 DRLA Aux vent drip - tight valves Reply with quote

Hi,

I am in the final stage of having my 1958 bug driveable again after a long break of 3 years.

The engine is a 2276, CB 2289 cam, 10.5 CR, Dual 48 DRLA's.

I was trying to tune the ignition and carbs last night but idle was crap. I then noted that down barrel 1+2, there was a massive drip down the center of the aux.vent.

I tried to reduce idle speed in order to cover progressions holes and increased timing. Nothing changed.

I had the engine running from time to time on a bench during my VW break and never had this drip.

Before removing and dismantling the carb, I'd like to clarify if a too tight valve play (meaning the valves are not closing completely) could generate a drip at the aux vent level. My valves are set a 0.15mm with manton dual tapered aluminium pushrods.

What is your take on this ?

Thanks,

Philipp
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: 48 DRLA Aux vent drip - tight valves Reply with quote

Check your fuel pressure. If it's too high. You will get the drip from the aux vents.
I primed a set of 45's last week and over pressured the float needle valve. Fuel was running out of the aux vents.

What's the pressure?

A tight valve train will not cause the condition you are describing.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 48 DRLA Aux vent drip - tight valves Reply with quote

Look for a sticky needle and seat or debris in there preventing it from closing. It could also just be out of adjustment, also causing the float to over run and spill out... the aux vent is the first spot it can spill out. They work just like a toilet fill valve.

If the inside bore of the seat is rough causing the needle to not move easily use a q-tip on a drill with some metal polish to clean it up. Also the circlip on one leg of the float needs to be there to keep the float centered.

As previously mentioned, check your fuel pressure as well, target 4 lbs.

I do not believe that a slightly loose or tight intake or exhaust valve can cause this behavior.

Last edited by j-dub on Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 48 DRLA Aux vent drip - tight valves Reply with quote

Yep, fuel pressure, float heights or bad float, and needle seats.
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 48 DRLA Aux vent drip - tight valves Reply with quote

Thanks for your input !

It turned out to be loose main jet holders and a needle that was a bit hard to move.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: