Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New exhaust, rubbing on bumper
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: New exhaust, rubbing on bumper Reply with quote

Installed a nice looking exhaust that exits out the bumper, as a Thing exhaust should, however, the exhaust isn’t quite straight out the center of the bumper holes and rubs badly on the bumper. I’m looking for a silicone/ high temp rubber grommet to put around the bumper exit, has anyone found such a thing or have any other recommendations? Thanks
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust, rubbing on bumper Reply with quote

The engine moves around a lot as various torques are applied so the pipes need to be pretty well centered in the holes. If you don't have a friend with a torch and/or welder who can fix it for you take it in to your local muffler shop.

Of course you should contact the vendor and manufacture first.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust, rubbing on bumper Reply with quote

Since our cars are not built perfect some parts must be fitted. Motor mounts, age, bumper not centered, etc. Try putting a pipe in the tail pipe and move it in place. We have had to do this before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust, rubbing on bumper Reply with quote

Since our cars are not built perfect some parts must be fitted. Motor mounts, age, bumper not centered, etc. Try putting a pipe in the tail pipe and move it in place. We have had to do this before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: New exhaust, rubbing on bumper Reply with quote

Well, I bought the exhaust for cheap from a local shop, so no idea who the manufacturer is, might try the pipe in the exhaust to bend it a little, don’t know any welders or such. I have seen a pic of a California Thing with a rubber piece around the bumper hole, but no clue where the got that or what it’s made out of.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: New exhaust, rubbing on bumper Reply with quote

Found something that may work. Time will tell how it holds up to heat. Looks decent though and quiets the bouncing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lowsquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust, rubbing on bumper Reply with quote

All I know is that the exhaust gets pretty dang hot. I suspect it's gonna melt those rubber pieces in no time.
Not sure if you can see it or not but I was running a tri-mil exhaust and it was hot enough to melt the rubber on the inside face of those bumper stops.

BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust, rubbing on bumper Reply with quote

Just drove around for an hour, no sign of burning or melting of the rubber. The chrome extensions actually stay relatively cool, compared to the actual pipes... plus they are made of a pretty heavy rubber. Completely eliminated the banging noise. Problem solved!
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust, rubbing on bumper Reply with quote

Those grommets look nice. Mine bangs a little in reverse, ok going forward.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust, rubbing on bumper Reply with quote

Where did you get that grommet?
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust, rubbing on bumper Reply with quote

https://www.rubberfeetwarehouse.com/collections/ru...ts-3-holes

Not sure I posted the link right. But I got them from Rubberfeetwarehouse.com

The grommets that fit 3” holes with a 5/64 groove diameter
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New exhaust, rubbing on bumper Reply with quote

Just as a follow-up. Drove from Chicago area to St Louis area today, about 6-7 hours driving, only stopped for gas, grommets showed zero wear/melt. Granted it was 7 degrees outside when I left so everything was a tad cooler, but grommets are working good
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: New exhaust, rubbing on bumper Reply with quote

BJT wrote:
Just as a follow-up. Drove from Chicago area to St Louis area today, about 6-7 hours driving, only stopped for gas, grommets showed zero wear/melt. Granted it was 7 degrees outside when I left so everything was a tad cooler, but grommets are working good

Thanks for the update. Just ordered a set for myself, and your link worked great!
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: