Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safaris discussion thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonnyCJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Phew ! Just done all 51 pages....

The best takeaway was the CIP1 German quality seals with the lip that seals against the body. The things I like are preformed corners and that they seem to be closest to the OG. Currently running Buttys seals which are apparently the best, but very tempted with trying out the CIP1 ones.

Any comments on them before I pay $$$$$$ in overseas shipping costs ?

Cheers

Jonny
JonnySox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Would love to see a current review or two or three on the available safari window options. Better fit nowadays? What cha got bruthas?

-1956 Vert
-1956 DD Panel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shaven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

JonnyCJ wrote:
Currently running Buttys seals which are apparently the best, but very tempted with trying out the CIP1 ones.

Dont do it mate... you have the best. We in Oz sometime use these. They are great. 3M sealant is a must & will also assist (small amounts)

A lot of us guys use this make/design... its very good.

https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/epdm-rubber-pinchweld-small-15mm-x-9mm

In the end they are safaris... so 99% they will leak regardless of window or rubbers. Thats fact!

If it was me ordering... EIS safaris + Buttys seals (which I just got more last week), OZ Clark rubber or CIP1 with lip.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Safari pricing and availability update
$550 from Wolfgang ... EIS are now $999 and they are out of stock. At Prado, Shawn from EIS told me minimum order from their manufacturer (that took them 5 years to find) is now 3000 units. More than 3 times the previous minimum. They dont know if/when they will have more. He had 2 sets at the show, he took one back. "show price" was 8 bills, ouch. EIS may be unobtainium for a while.

https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/front-safari-windows-2847100wh/

https://www.eisparts.com/safari-kit-v-shape-frame-bus-50-67-complete-kit-primer-finish.html

https://creative-engineering.com/product/1955-67-splitscreen-front-safari-kit-primered/
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
busworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Safari pricing and availability update
$550 from Wolfgang ... EIS are now $999 and they are out of stock. At Prado, Shawn from EIS told me minimum order from their manufacturer (that took them 5 years to find) is now 3000 units. More than 3 times the previous minimum. They dont know if/when they will have more. He had 2 sets at the show, he took one back. "show price" was 8 bills, ouch. EIS may be unobtainium for a while.

https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/front-safari-windows-2847100wh/

https://www.eisparts.com/safari-kit-v-shape-frame-bus-50-67-complete-kit-primer-finish.html

https://creative-engineering.com/product/1955-67-splitscreen-front-safari-kit-primered/

So glad I bought my V frames when I did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

weird they wouldn't just spring for more. I feel like most people buy (bought) theirs.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Wow what a thread!

Here's a few questions to throw into the discussion that I didn't see answered in the thread.

First, are there repop weld on tabs that are close to OG?
Same with dash tabs
Safari Latches (I have been told that the repop stainless bases are good and the early WW vent wing handles are a great combo)
Wing nuts (CIP sells ones that are filled and plated I believe?)

Thanks all, NAES
SBS #00
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

My stainless wing bolts can be cut down and make good safari wing nuts.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These stainless vent window and safari latches are coming soon. I have a limited # on hand.

I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with these? They claim BEST QUALITY IN THE WORD

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2142602
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Those safari's are Creative Engineering safaris out of the UK. Extruded aluminum frames and I think they use an aluminum hinge now. Mine have stainless hinges (correct profile hinge) that is screwed to the frame.... and I filled the holes. The frames don't flex. They come with stainless latches that should not break. I'd say they are the best on the market since the EIS windows are not being made right now.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

If they’re safety glass now I would agree. It’s just me, but the whole glass braking thing would make me nervous.
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I just bought the wolfgang kit. What is the best way to go about painting the frames? Do the come apart from the glass easily?
froger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Can someone tell me if you can split a safari window hinge ? And if so how ?Is there some sort of rod up the center of them or something ? I have 3 original frames 2 with glass but 1 doesn't have half a hinge .. 1 has no glass but has hinge which I would like to utilize . Or do I have to remove the whole hinge and attach to the other frame ? Or do I attempt to split the frames and put the glass from the green window into the white 1 .. And how are the hinges held onto the frame ? I know there a lot of questions but I'd appreciate the feed back .
Cheers Fred

keith bumgarner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

ok so after being drained from reading all of the old post here. Who now has the best set for a 59 s/cab in ss? I would like to have a rear one also in stainless.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

After I rebuilt my spindles a friend asked for a breakdown for when he does his ones, here’s a rough drawing of them for anyone needing to rebuild their own ones. Not to scale.....

If anyone has any differences let me know. Be interested to see other ones.
saltpeter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I am in the market for aftermarket 55-64 wiper pivots. Are they still crap? Have the problems previously mentioned in the thread been corrected? Who's makes the best?....or are they all the same?
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I bought a set of the Creative Engineering safaris. It looks like they weld the hinge but everything else is glued-n-screwed. It seems it would have been less effort to TIG weld the tabs on rather than drill, tap, glue, and screw.

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

thom wrote:
I bought a set of the Creative Engineering safaris. It looks like they weld the hinge but everything else is glued-n-screwed. It seems it would have been less effort to TIG weld the tabs on rather than drill, tap, glue, and screw.

Did you order direct? How long did it take?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

saltpeter wrote:
I am in the market for aftermarket 55-64 wiper pivots. Are they still crap? Have the problems previously mentioned in the thread been corrected? Who's makes the best?....or are they all the same?

I wasn’t impressed with the ones I had, hence why I got my original ones unstuck and used them again. Just the feel of them felt heavier duty.
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
thom wrote:

Did you order direct? How long did it take?

Yes, and it took about 2 weeksa to get them
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Page 52 of 62

Jump to: