Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
M0nk3y
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

Hello all! I have been lurking here for a few weeks and have used this forum to fix a few things and also as a learning tool. I have already picked up a Bentley and have the fuel hose on order :p so you can skip that part. So far I have fixed the headlights, adjusted the clutch pedal and fixed the shifter (Stop plate was installed upside down) and switched out the front 2 door handles. We have a long list of things to do but they will get knocked out one by one when we have time. Hopefully I can keep this post up to date and continue getting information, advice, and tips and tricks along the way. Looking forward to making this our traveling camper!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

Hey M0nk3y, Welc0m3 tO The Samba!

That looks like a great find! Is it an AdventureWagon? Looks nice and straight, and no rust from what I could see. And thanks for posting lots of pics. From my amateur eyes, I could tell the rear brakes need adjusting, since the e-brake is pulled out so far.

What are your plans for the interior?

Oh... and where in CA are you? If you are in SoCal, you're in luck... The Terrific Trio (Aeromech, Asiab3 and Telford) are close at hand. Or will be when Asiab3 gets back from his loop around the country.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

Welcome!!

Add getting rid of that dreck Air Leaner and going back to stock

In the world of VW parts, “if it’s chrome, leave it at home”
M0nk3y
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

Thanks! Kent, I am about 10 mins south of LAX airport. It does have a rusted out left side battery area, and some surface rust under the carpet but i'm sure that will come out fairly easy. When I get some time I am going to have to weld in a new piece for the battery area. For the inside we want a place to sit and sleep, sink, and small cooking area the rest will be storage. We enjoy tent camping but this will be nice to have in-case we gotta have a hard shelter. If I have time this weekend I am going to do take a look at the brakes and also try and do the fuel lines if they come in.

my list so far (not in any order)
- door seals
- window seals
- (1) hub cap clip
- key lock mechanism (sliding, engine, hatch)
- fuel gauge/ fuel sensor
- brake system
- seat belts
- fuel lines
- trans/engine oil change
- tune up

Abscate- any reason to why the current one should be placed back to stock? (besides the chrome) This is my first carb engine, so the more information I receive the better I can understand why to avoid/upgrade items in the future.

Thanks!!! hopefully this will be a good project!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

M0nk3y wrote:

Abscate- any reason to why the current one should be placed back to stock? (besides the chrome) This is my first carb engine, so the more information I receive the better I can understand why to avoid/upgrade items in the future.

The chrome one you have is a cheap piece of crap that doesn't work very well. It has poor filtration characteristics and has no provision for intake air preheating or connection for the crankcase breather.

Also adjust those rear brakes! That parking brake handle is pulled out way too far Smile
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

M0nk3y wrote:

Nice bus

Grats Very Happy

In regards to the air cleaner...
It's pretty well accepted that the stock oil bath air cleaner is a design that is hard to improve on. If you intend to stick with a single carb, get a stock oil bath cleaner. It just works better than those little paper filters.

The other advantage? virtually zero maintenance cost. How much are those little filters? How often do you change them? With the stock cleaner, you just need the left over oil from the bottom of the bottles when you change your oil. Smile

My 1968 Campmobile
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

Welcome! Very cool high top, excited to see your progress. I'm next door to LAX as well, great place to own a bay! Enjoy.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

I like the color, very nice Bus overall. It looks adventure ready!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

M0nk3y wrote:
Thanks! Kent, I am about 10 mins south of LAX airport. It does have a rusted out left side battery area, and some surface rust under the carpet but i'm sure that will come out fairly easy. When I get some time I am going to have to weld in a new piece for the battery area. For the inside we want a place to sit and sleep, sink, and small cooking area the rest will be storage. We enjoy tent camping but this will be nice to have in-case we gotta have a hard shelter. If I have time this weekend I am going to do take a look at the brakes and also try and do the fuel lines if they come in.

my list so far (not in any order)
- door seals
- window seals
- (1) hub cap clip
- key lock mechanism (sliding, engine, hatch)
- fuel gauge/ fuel sensor
- brake system
- seat belts
- fuel lines
- trans/engine oil change
- tune up

Geez.... If that is all that you need to be addressed, you scored well with that one. My list was many times longer, with "swap dual carbs for fuel injection" at the top of that list. Two years later, the list is only slightly shorter. Cool

Have fun with it! Get it driving safely, and get out and use it. And you have lots of fellow Sambanistas around to help if you need them.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
M0nk3y
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

Oh that's a short list for now. As I learn more I'm sure the list will grow. I have been driving it on and off for the last 2 weeks and it has been pretty good besides the shifter issue. I do have an oil leak that I noticed over the last 2 days and my fuel lines came in today. The oil leak and fuel lines will be taken care of whenever I get the time over the next few days. I am also in search for the oil bath so that is also part of the list.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

Try Interstate in Lake Elsinore. He has lots of good parts for sale.

---WildIdea

HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Welcome!!

While the oil bath air cleaner is in some ways preferable, unless you are in a very cold area, the preheat benefit is minimal.

I am in Oregon and my bus uses a paper filter with no problems. I do this because the pedestal for the oil bath cleaner is damaged. If you continue to use an aftermarket air cleaner, it is preferable to use a tall skinny style filter instead of the flat squat one like yours. Better air flow characteristics.
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Is Diane still there. She was great to deal with when I needed obscure parts.

Up in Washington, Avery Aircooled is also good.
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Is Diane still there. She was great to deal with when I needed obscure parts.

Up in Washington, Avery Aircooled is also good.
HarryFD
Samba Member

Abscate wrote:
Welcome!!

While the oil bath air cleaner is in some ways preferable, unless you are in a very cold area, the preheat benefit is minimal.

I am in Oregon and my bus uses a paper filter with no problems. I do this because the pedestal for the oil bath cleaner is damaged. If you continue to use an aftermarket air cleaner, it is preferable to use a tall skinny style filter instead of the flat squat one like yours. Better air flow characteristics.
t-hardwick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

Lovely Hightop! I have a 68 Hightop and love the extra space.

1975 Beetle
M0nk3y
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

Adding to the list!
Dirty pics first Dancing

CLEAN (now I can find the start of the leak!)

Leaks (after letting the engine warm up)

M0nk3y
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

So from what I can see push rod tubes are leaking and also maybe head/cylinder leak? First im going to make sure that everything is torqued down to the right amount. seems like if both are leaking maybe something is loose. If they are I might have to decide if I can pull the engine and check to see if the head and cylinder can be fixed myself. I have never done that kind of work before so I dont know if I can do that. For the pushrod tubes I have seen plenty of topics about replacing them with the spring type ones and I feel like that I can manage. I just have never took an engine apart so the head cyl might be more than I chew. I have good mech skills so if you all think its not that hard I might give it a go.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

Well you definitely need pushrod tube seals, the head to barrels appear to be weeping a little as well but not seriously.
If you can read and use basic tools pulling the heads for a fresh set of seals isn't a big deal, depending on oil consumption and compression it might not hurt to throw a set of rings in at the same time since you'll have to reseal the cylinder bases anyways.
The Muir "idiot book" is a must read if you have never done this job, Tom Wilson's "How to rebuild your Volkswagen engine" is also good stuff to have in your arsenal. You'll also need a torque wrench, feeler gauges and valve grinding compound as well as Permatex 2 and Ultra grey RTV for sealing. You'll also need a place to wash parts and borrow a hone if you decide on rings and the piston to cylinder clearance checks out OK.

It's never time wasted by pulling the engine on a new to you bus, you can confirm all the tin is in place and fits properly as well as replace all the rubber seals and lines that will cause issues later. you can even dig into the fuel tank compartment while it's out of the way and replace those vent and filler lines as well as add the ground to the sender so none of that is a problem later.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
M0nk3y
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 hightop Bus. Let the work begin! Reply with quote

Pulling the engine, changing fuel lines, and taking out the tank are actually on the top of my list and I want to do those in the next 2 weeks. Maybe i might have to leave the engine out a little longer than expected Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: