Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noise behind steering column (Brake Booster?)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Noise behind steering column (Brake Booster?) Reply with quote

I have noticed recently that I randomly get some noise going on behind my steering column.

After ~10 minutes of driving I turned van off. I come back about 30 minutes later, start van and start hearing a 'puttering' noise behind the steering column. Imagine sealing your lips hard, breath out of your mouth and get some air pressure in there, then opening your lips very quickly. I would get that 'putt' noise every 1.5 seconds.

So I applied the brakes, and it either amplified the issue or toned it down. However when I gave it gas - the noise went away?

Sound like the brake booster? And don't people upgrade to BMW brake booster?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Noise behind steering column (Brake Booster?) Reply with quote

My first thoughts are leak at vacuum connection at booster, or at seal between master cylinder and booster. Check if the MC mount bolts are tight?

You couldn't safely drive the van this way but disconnect booster at engine bay? See if noise abates? Obviously the then open inlet to the intake plenum would need to be blocked.

Sounds like something at the booster. Since giving the engine gas increases vacuum at the booster you'd think that would make the sound louder or more consistent (exacerbates a vacuum leak). But if doing so consistently makes the sound abate, that's a useful clue.

The booster diagram P. 47.10 in my Bentley shows the filter and damper as "always replace" items. It's a PITA to get at but maybe place a smart phone at front side of booster to record audio at that area? Determine if sound coming from filter or damper? Move phone away from that, record again? AB sound levels?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: