Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

Hi,

I have posted a couple of pictures / questions about my 55 on here but thought Id put a thread to keep updated.

I spent a while looking for a matching number original paint oval, and spent more than I had to spend on this one, after I put a deposit on a 56 that fell through. The 56 was in better condition than my 55, and it was running / usable etc, but Im pretty happy with my 55 Smile

Here it is when I collected it:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its nice and solid, had a few repairs I will redo but nothing major at all:

Worst bit:

Its pretty complete and un messed with:

Iv got a 'thing' about original hardware / details. I need a set of Kamax rear fender bolts and running board bolts. The rest all Kamax:

Original engine:

Original interior in fairly good condition. Lots of water stains though which is a shame. Still got the date tags underneath though which is pretty cool:

After Id put the rear wings / fenders and lights on temporary, and running boards on temporary, for the inspection to be registered:

Got it to my work place to get some proper work done on it:

Hope you like it Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

She's a beauty Very Happy
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

Very nice! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

What a great find! It looks to be in amazing condition for a 63 year-old car.
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Yes, really pleased overall Smile

Roof is pretty badly dented where it was apparently vandalised in a barn in Sweden. Dents in bonnet too so I think its been ran over in its life. Im hpoping they will come out without damaging the paint. But its pretty straight overall Smile

Love it. Plans are to keep it exactly as it is. I'll re do the repairs to a better standard at some point. I need to find some original running board trim and some new rubbers. Will be running crossplys too Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

WONDERFUL ... gorgeous patina, unmolested interior, original engine !!!
My dream car .....
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

Nice car! Reminds me of this one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419739&highlight=

Don
sotos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

Amazing find ! Thanks for the photos especially the close up ones ,these would be great reference for other projects of the same era ,valuable info from an unmolested car.
It would be great if you could post some additional close up photos of particular interest like more factory stamps and writings ,if there are any ,or for example the Wolfsburg crest and how is attached.
New beetle 1.6 2003
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Nice car! Reminds me of this one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419739&highlight=

Don

Cheers Don but I dont think its as nice as Andys... His car looked amazing. The wings/fenders are about the worst parts of my car, all 4 need some love
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

sotos wrote:
Amazing find ! Thanks for the photos especially the close up ones ,these would be great reference for other projects of the same era ,valuable info from an unmolested car.
It would be great if you could post some additional close up photos of particular interest like more factory stamps and writings ,if there are any ,or for example the Wolfsburg crest and how is attached.

Cheers Smile

Id be happy to take pictures of anything if it helps anyone. There are several more I have uploaded to the gallery. Cheers
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

Little update.

I went through the electrics and got everything working, got the engine running but had to replace the carb with a rebuilt unit. I will rebuild the original at some point. New master cylinder, wheel cylinders, hoses, shoes, flexis... New gear oil and gaitors... and a general check over.

Put about 40 miles on it, then drove it to Stanford Hall VW Show last weekend. My longest journey in it, and I loved every second of it. My previous Beetles have all been lowered and big engines, but I cant see me in anything other than stock from now on Smile

Here are a few pictures anyway. At work ready to use:

One of the engine. Carb looks awful:

Few last things before the show. Hub cap clips repaired and hub caps fitted. Swedish gravel guards fitted... Ready:

Made it to the show. Just about to set up our trade stand:

Put my car in the historic display outside of the hall:

Few more arrived:

A nice pic Ned from Hayburner magazine took:

Need to check my brakes as I have a leak, other than that its all cosmetic jobs left to do really.

I want a new set of running board rubbers and chrome, and some clip on wing mirrors. Also ordered some LED flashing bulbs for the semaphores and LED bulbs for the brake lights to try help be seen on the roads... Other cars dont seem to see me turning or braking.

LOVE IT so far Smile
chthemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

nice I was the backing some of the cars up in the high viz vest I'm normally there in my white rhd white 51 I'm using it in a couple of weeks for a mates wedding
bluebeetle1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

For running board mats and trim - I have these ready and waiting to go on my "oval", along with a complete set of stainless running boards - I will never need to replace them ever again!

http://www.kaefervwrostfrei.de/index_e.html

Not cheap but to my eye worth every penny!

Do it once and do it right....

June 1957 "Big Window" Oval Beetle! Yes it does really exist....
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

chthemonkey wrote:
nice I was the backing some of the cars up in the high viz vest I'm normally there in my white rhd white 51 I'm using it in a couple of weeks for a mates wedding

Hi mate. I may have spoke to you? Are you the guy with the barndoor you need to restore?
I didnt get chance to look at any of the cars in the circle properly... I had a good chat with the owner of the RHD 54, original paint never welded - Really nice guy and such a cool car Smile
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

bluebeetle1968 wrote:
For running board mats and trim - I have these ready and waiting to go on my "oval", along with a complete set of stainless running boards - I will never need to replace them ever again!

http://www.kaefervwrostfrei.de/index_e.html

Not cheap but to my eye worth every penny!

Do it once and do it right....

Thanks, thats perfect Smile
chthemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi mate. I may have spoke to you? Are you the guy with the barndoor you need to restore?
I didnt get chance to look at any of the cars in the circle properly... I had a good chat with the owner of the RHD 54, original paint never welded - Really nice guy and such a cool car Smile

hi yes that's me the barndoors still in storage I hope to get it booked in to have the chassis sorted probably be next year here's a pic before it went in and one of my beetle

mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: My 1955 Swedish original paint matching number Oval Reply with quote

chthemonkey wrote:

hi yes that's me the barndoors still in storage I hope to get it booked in to have the chassis sorted probably be next year here's a pic before it went in and one of my beetle

Hi mate, good to meet you. Your bus looks great! Does it need a full chassis? We just done one for a 66 crew cab - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9036132

Beetle looks nice. You got any more pictures / details? Gutted I didnt get a chance to have a proper look around at the show.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: