Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone ever build a mid-engine?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
The Porsche 550 Spyder has a dead simple chassis, but it won't work well with a transverse powertrain application.

bryan

Nope don't plan on it, haven't ever mentioned it. If i ever get to a rear mid engine build it'll most likely be a boxer configuration.
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

I really like the 50's and 60's style le mans convertibles, like the Aston Martin DBR1, I'm actually surprised there weren't more VW kits based on them.

But I guess without chassis mods and built engines they would be nothing more than eye candy, and everyone copied the original manx, winning the first baja races and being from cali and all.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
oprn wrote:
Sweet ride! These days a 924/944/928 transaxle would simplify things. Yes?

Or would the gearing be to high?

No - an adapter would be required to mount any engine to the 'Porsche/Audi' trans used in 92X/944. Shift mechanism would also be an issue to solve.

bryan

Any engine/transaxle swap requires an adapter, that's a given. Also any transaxle that is turned around and used for mid engine installation will have shift linkage issues to solve including the VW one. I have not crawled under the 944 to see how the shift linkage is set up but at least it is all set up in the right direction from factory.

The Corvair transaxle should work as is with a cam reversing kit in the Corvair engine or with any other engine that rotates in the normal direction. Naturally the linkage issue would need sorting out. And the starter bendix would need changing too.
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
didget69 wrote:
oprn wrote:
Sweet ride! These days a 924/944/928 transaxle would simplify things. Yes?

Or would the gearing be to high?

No - an adapter would be required to mount any engine to the 'Porsche/Audi' trans used in 92X/944. Shift mechanism would also be an issue to solve.

bryan

Any engine/transaxle swap requires an adapter, that's a given. Also any transaxle that is turned around and used for mid engine installation will have shift linkage issues to solve including the VW one. I have not crawled under the 944 to see how the shift linkage is set up but at least it is all set up in the right direction from factory.

The Corvair transaxle should work as is with a cam reversing kit in the Corvair engine or with any other engine that rotates in the normal direction. Naturally the linkage issue would need sorting out. And the starter bendix would need changing too.

No the 924/944 transaxle wouldn't simplify things. It might be possible but not easy. The bellhousing looks like its part of the trans, and there's no spot for a starter. You could maybe have a mini torque tube fabricated, but than you'll have a really long ass end, might work in some applications, mini-van and actually bring engine closer to the middle.

It seems like the best option is too use a transaxle from a vanagon or awd subaru impreza. Other options would be from exotic and super cars so the price climbs quickly.

I was also wondering about the corvair trans, it looks shorter than a subaru or vanagon trans. But as someone stated previously it's more fragile. I also believe the aftermarket would be much smaller.
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

The transverse "mid-engine" setup is, in my mind at least, the most straightforward means to adapting a later model engine and trans to a custom chassis. It's compact, 4/6/V8 available, relatively new, 5 & 6 speed built in, no engine to trans adapters, plus you should be able to utilize the original car's hubs and uprights to put together an IRS A-arm or trailing arm rear suspension, with brakes etc. Cobbling all that stuff together from different manufacturers - Subaru, Porsche, Chev, Japanese car, custom etc. can be a real headache - ask me how I know!
Starting from scratch, I would definitely be looking into what Acme has to offer and see if you can modify their hardware to work for your motor and trans application. Much easier starting from something already designed in that direction, IMHO. Not sure if they'll be selling that chassis separately - definitely worth asking.
Jeff
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

Just did a bit of research on the 944 transaxle and it bolts up directly with no mods to the Audi 5000 engine and possibly the 1.8T VW engine. The starter though will be an issue but the shift linkage looks very simple to accommodate. There appears to be no need to use any part of the torque tube.

The reason for my interest is that I happen to have one...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: