Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1988 Cabriolet Truck?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Cabriolet Truck Good Idea or Bad?
Good
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Bad
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

baja1776
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
What do you mean installing a volvo rear and top? I would be interested in pics! Thanks!
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna go ahead and vote no. A really really big no.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baja1776
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why a big no?
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo station wagon parts car Reply with quote

dasdachshund wrote:
Matt C. wrote:
......... or tell me how to downsize the file?

If you have any Windows operating system, you have a Paint program.
Open the pic up in Paint then resize it and save again....

You can also convert to a jpeg in Paint, too. Just open it up and do a save as .jpeg instead of what it is now.

-dasdachshund

Or on a Mac, there's Preview. On a Mac, opening the pic automatically opens Preview. Under "tools", go to "adjust size", and you can also convert to JPEG in the same menu.

Returning to the topic, it is a cool idea if it's done properly (I doubt that someone who already planned extensively and made a 3D digital model like the OP did would make a POS), but be prepared to be swarmed by rednecks and Jalopnik fanboys with El Camino/Ranchero obsessions wherever you go. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baja1776
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I am going for the clean not a pos look. I cant have it look like its been cut up or nothing. Goal is a clean factory style short bed Rabbit truck with removable top. Something that was never offered from VW. I've never driven a Rabbit truck but it is longer so I bet it cant carve corners like this can.
Matt C.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: trying to figure it out guys..... Reply with quote

I now have about 2 hours left in the construction of the rain gutter (cut from Volvo Stationwagon rear window channels).Passenger side is done.
I am considering cutting the "bed" area right down to the body line and installing a cute little flatbed with hinges for a mini dump bed just like the funny kit that was offered for bugs to make a flatbed.

With the comment about this possibly looking like a POS I am glad I didn't show "before" pictures. It is a hacked convertable with no interior but seats and a CAMO paint job with some weird cattleguard heavy duty grill built for it.....kinda uggly.I am thinking white would be an easy way to make everything blend OK after all the sheetmetal work is complete.
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just my opinion but for the money and time invested I would just look for an old brat. All that and 4wd.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baja1776
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like soobers. Time is free. My project is free for materials. Cant beat free. Tinkering is fun. I like to have strange things.
Matt C.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Man, you said it right! Reply with quote

After getting a free diesel with top gone and rebuilt motor that gets 55mpg, I welded a volvo parts car to it and I can now drive it in the cold and rain. My friends next door got a ride to work because my little diesel is a trooper in the snow. And yesterday, we went to Friday Harbor and we got at least 10 "thumbs up" and 3 people took pictures of it, I talked to one dude about it on the ferry for 30 minutes, most of the ride.
It is kinda cool I guess......

Also, a Subaru brat that is not a rust bucket is a very expensive......and rare beast, would love to have one but gas milage is still an issue.....can't beat 55mpg.
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine who works at a VW shop bought a Cabby already converted into a truckster of sorts. The front half is stock looking and the hoop was retained. The rest has a toneau cover which matches the front top. It looks stock and similar to your illustration. Except I do not recall seeing a usable tailgate. I'll take some pics if I remember. Been meaning to do that since you first posted but kept forgetting because I did not subscribe to your thread and did not get a reminder. That's remedied now and hope I can get the pic for you.

I've had several Caddies which handle much better than most people think. These days I use Vanagon based Doublecabs instead.

BenT
baja1776
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Pics!?!? Reply with quote

Hello BenT Syncro,

I would LOVE to see pics of that car it would be great!!
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pics!?!? Reply with quote

baja1776 wrote:
Hello BenT Syncro,

I would LOVE to see pics of that car it would be great!!

I'll get pics for you when I'm back from my trip. Tried to take pics last Thursday but my camera phone wasn't good enough to take flash pics in the pitch dark.
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the pics as promised. Looks better in person especially the top an toneau cover. It's my friend's beater so body is dinged up a bit. He's got teardrops for it but awaiting for his next paycheck to buy tires. It was pretty bad when he first got it. Top was redone and toneau fabricated. There is a slightly bump caused ny seats hidden under the cover. CabCaddy conversion is only partly done.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

baja1776
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Cabriolet Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the pics thats neat looking!! Did he make the top or have somebody else do it? What kind of price did that run??
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cabriolet Reply with quote

baja1776 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the pics thats neat looking!! Did he make the top or have somebody else do it? What kind of price did that run??

The original top was made by the previous owner and was made of vinyl. He had the present top made by a local upholstery shop for $600. After the work was done, the upholsterer said, "boy, I lost money this job."
baja1776
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's expensive. I got a quote for a custom interior in a 68 ghia for around that. Does the whole top go down?
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja1776 wrote:
That's expensive. I got a quote for a custom interior in a 68 ghia for around that. Does the whole top go down?

This is San Francisco, son. The material probablyt cost $300 on this job. It's cloth not vinyl. Top can still work. Toneau still removable. If you can get it done cheaper, go for it.

Re-upholstery kits for bugs are a dime a dozen. Custom jobs can get silly expensive.
Burlinsonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1988 Cabriolet Truck? Reply with quote

I know I'm about 7 years late, but just bought a cabriolet that I would like to cut into a mini truck. Has anyone else done this? Pictures of the bed and tail gate would be nice.
Burlinsonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1988 Cabriolet Truck? Reply with quote

Did you finish this project? I'm in the middle of a Cabriolet truck, any help would be awesome.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: