Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Well, that's disturbing...
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Well, that's disturbing... Reply with quote

Last weekend I took the new 1835 for its break-in run around the block after the 20 minute revving (1500-3000 rpm, or thereabouts. 20 minutes is a LONG time when you're just sitting there!). 5 minutes into the drive, car sputtered and would barely stay running. I limped it home and there it sat until I got another chance to look at it.

Today I started walking through stuff. Plugs (black soot, to be expected), cap/rotor, carb, intakes, fuel, etc. I was thinking maybe my little electric pump wasn't able to keep up with the engine.

Then I pulled off the valve covers to check the valves. Out fell the nut on the right:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's one of the valve train nuts. The stud is fine. Only the nut looked like that. I torqued to spec (I forget now, I used what was in the book), and the other 3 nuts are great. You can see the damage that did to the aluminum valve cover:

Well, thar's yer problem!

New nut in place and retorqued. Did another run around the block, even some hard downshifts (downshift chirps! Woot!) and changed the oil and filter.

Going to go for a real drive in a little bit, once I feel like putting the interior back together. . .
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, that's disturbing... Reply with quote

I've used 1835cc for decades; hopefully only the nut itself was bad.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, that's disturbing... Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I've used 1835cc for decades; hopefully only the nut itself was bad.

I'm thinking so. I'm just worried about the rest of them now...

I'm liking this 1835. It's not the 2180 with dual carbs by any means, but it's peppy and runs great. It'll be an excellent engine for the daughter's 64 if we ever get to that point. Smile
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, that's disturbing... Reply with quote

Where did you get the nuts?

Did the come with the rockers? VW or aftermarket?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, that's disturbing... Reply with quote

Aftermarket. No brand. So who knows... Sad

It was from this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Beetle-Cylinder-Head-A...2770238664
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, that's disturbing... Reply with quote

I forgot I used the head nuts from that set too. Sad
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, that's disturbing... Reply with quote

You'll be ok.
If your concerned. Get 4 lock washers from Ace Hardware and install them between the nuts and the rocker blocks.

If you don't want to do that. Just check the torque when you adjust your valve lash. Cuz to have to do that anyway. Right?

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, that's disturbing... Reply with quote

I had one come loose years ago after I rebuilt the motor.
Placed a nice lock washer under all 4 and never looked back!
Empi shifter, full compliment of gauges, 1679 with mild cam, stock induction

SOLD: 1974 Marina Blue Standard Beetle undergoing restoration/preservation
1679 with Kadrons and header/QP
914 sport wheels 5.5" ET40 wrapped in 195x65x15 Kumhos
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Well, that's disturbing... Reply with quote

You need to clean the oil of the surfaces of the adjuster and nut every time you crack them or it wont lock right.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Well, that's disturbing... Reply with quote

Never heard that yarn before. Never heard of anybody doing that. Never wiped mine down, never had one come loose, expect it is more of an excuse for forgetting to tighten properly than a reality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Well, that's disturbing... Reply with quote

I found the video clip of me installing that rocker assembly. The nut just spun on with no fuss.

I feel better, I couldn't help think that I was the problem, not the nut. Whew! Wink
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Well, that's disturbing... Reply with quote

Rebuilt my motor yesterday. I’ll definitely be rechecking those today!

Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: