Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear view mirror install
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIMMA03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Rear view mirror install Reply with quote

Hi - Any trick to install a rear view mirror on a 74 Thing? The mirror is separated from the bracket. There is a metal bulb at the end. Pushed really hard but was concerned it would bust the plastic socket on the mirror.

Thanks
Al Capulco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear view mirror install Reply with quote

It is a hard push, but it will go on. Put the plastic socket out in the sun for awhile. I would put a little Joy dish soap on the metal ball and try it. Use only your hands. You have to move the ball back and forth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear view mirror install Reply with quote

I found it easiest with the windshield folded down and pulling it on from leaning over the front hood.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear view mirror install Reply with quote

I've also been through this particular process. As Al advised it will go on there eventually but it takes some muscle and some patience. I did not use dish washing soap to help with the process but I can definitely see how that would help make it a bit easier.

BTW, I would not attempt this operation with the mirror "arm" still attached to the windshield frame.
Al Capulco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear view mirror install Reply with quote

X2. You really need to have both parts in you hands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear view mirror install Reply with quote

And wear heavy gloves just in case something shatters. And don't do it with the beloved pet nearby.
Yes, those two points are related but my family is not comfortable talking about it yet.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '71 L12 113, '74 L65K Love Bug SE, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: