Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manual transmission oil change?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission oil change? Reply with quote

I used to photograph Fuller and Rockwell transmissions.
Man- those were some big units!

Link
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thing_Man73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission oil change? Reply with quote

This has gotten a little off topic. I figure gear oil is not very expensive so why not replace it every few years? I drain mine and put in new synthetic lube whenever it seems to shift harder, the new oil makes it shift like a dream. For the price of a 12 pack of beer you can have a nice smooth shifting transition.
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission oil change? Reply with quote

Just gotta say...

Wow!

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean others that differ are wrong.

Obviously, there are different ways to do this based on tech manuals and personal experience.

To the OP:

It doesn't seem like it will hurt anything to change your oil... maybe give you some satisfaction of knowing its fresh. Nothing wrong with that.

To some of the folks who have posted here:

Chill a little guys... this is supposed to be for enjoyment. I know it's easy to get fired up, but how would we act if we were standing in front of each other at a VeeDub meet?

Mark
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission oil change? Reply with quote

Moderator Note:
I removing some arguing from this thread, please use the Official GL4 vs. GL5 thread for your ongoing BS.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: manual transmission oil change? Reply with quote

First time transmission oil changer here.

Two questions:

1- anyone know the diameter of the fill hole? Wondering what size of tube to use to fill it via the “trans-enema” method.

2- (haven’t gotten under the car to look yet) but are the drain and fill bolts regular metric hex head or some other type? Star? Allen? Whatever freaky type the Germans wanted to use so you have to by a special tool for everything?

Thanks

mondshine wrote:
"By the book" the transmission oil is changed after the first 600 miles, and never again (wow!).

Most VW people I know change their transmission oil every 30,000 miles.

One suggestion is to remove the fill plug first (to be sure that you can; they are sometimes frozen in place) before removing the drain plug.

I fill it using the "trans-enema" technique; works great!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As for oil, there are many conflicting opinions about which oil to use.
If you enjoy reading through a good pissing contest, check this link:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276529

I purchased a replacement trans-axle from Rancho at the end of last season, and Dave (at Rancho) said to use LAT 80W90 which exceeds API-GL5.
I figure he knows a lot more about these trans-axles than I do, so I followed his advice.
He also said that it was unnecessary to change it after "break-in".

I have not driven 600 miles since the trans was installed, so I will think about that until next Spring (when the car comes out of storage).

Hope that helps, Mondshine
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: manual transmission oil change? Reply with quote

BJT wrote:
First time transmission oil changer here.

Two questions:

1- anyone know the diameter of the fill hole? Wondering what size of tube to use to fill it via the “trans-enema” method.

2- (haven’t gotten under the car to look yet) but are the drain and fill bolts regular metric hex head or some other type? Star? Allen? Whatever freaky type the Germans wanted to use so you have to by a special tool for everything?

Thanks

17mm allen wrench, special tool for everything.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission oil change? Reply with quote

My "trans-enema" tube is 5/8" ID, 3/4" OD. It's just plain old clear neoprene hose from any hardware store.

The drain and fill plugs are 17mm socket head (Allen head) plugs.

Have fun, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission oil change? Reply with quote

Got it done. Everything went well, lots of gunk on the magnetic bolt...
thanks for everyone’s help/advice.
N2Ghias
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission oil change? Reply with quote

First time oil changer here as well. Does anyone know why Gear oil smells so rank? I've changed my own engine oil numerous times and never noticed any strong odors. My gear oil was so black and smelled really bad. Lots of nasty gunk along w/ some metal shavings at the magnet on the drain plug.

I never really new to change out the transmission/gear oil as a form of VW maintenance.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission oil change? Reply with quote

Active sulfur added as an extreme pressure additive. Some of the oils available forty years ago would make me physically sick when I handled them, modern oils typically have less active sulfur and thus don't stink as bad.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: