Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The reason for sway bars?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Dwayne1m, you may have me on the World of Outlaws cockpit adjustable sway bars. I quit playing with cars in the dirt when I was about 7. (NOT meant to be a slam - racing is racing and I'll race just about anything if given the opportunity)
This was my ride.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am familiar with this Sprint Car,

If you look close up front you will see something that looks like an aluminum trailing arm. THAT is actually the sway bar link. And on this Sprint car it is cockpit adjustable.

And although I don’t spend a lot of time at the dirt track, I do try to go see what’s going on once or twice a year and I have several friends and racing buddies who are into that stuff. The one thing I have found is that in much of the dirt track racing, rules in certain categories of cars can differ greatly just from one track to another. I know guys running late models who will only run one track, or won’t run certain other tracks because of rules changes that would effect their cars.

Knowing that certain groups of 410 Sprint Cars do run adjustable sway bars, I wrongly assumed the World of Outlaw guys did too.

But it has been pointed out they do still run rear sway bars!

See you in the winners circle! Or is it the Whiner’s Circle?
PF63bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the conclusion is: sway bars for the road is good, shocks are good, and VW's are not. 914, so they sway more in stock set up.

Just be careful lowering the car as I have read in other posts that if you go drastic you can really mess up the handling.

Good luck!
Indetrucks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only here for the DrScope and Dwayne internet battle.

Pass the popcorn
vintageant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason for sway bars? Reply with quote

For off-road rallycross purposes I am trying to reduce understeer.

The bug currently has no front anti-sway bar

From what I've read, adding a front anti-sway bar will actually increase understeer.

Have I understood correctly?[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason for sway bars? Reply with quote

vintageant wrote:
From what I've read, adding a front anti-sway bar will actually increase understeer. Have I understood correctly?

Yes, you have. But cars driven on pavement behave differently from those driven on dirt. For the best set-up in your particular case, you'll need to get some pointers on suspension tuning from Rallycross guys who are running similar cars on the same kind of courses that you intend to run.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crvc wrote:

Ten years ago I had a 1971 Porsche 914. No matter how fast I took a corner that car did not sway. Then when I got the bug I couldn't deal with all the swaying or rolling. I think it was here that I asked what to do. The suggestions included sway bars front and rear, coil-over shocks and lowering the bug.

I never had a shop class in 4 years of high school and never had time for auto shop in my 9 years of college. So my stupid questions come from that background.

The photo shows what I do for a living, what I've done six days a week for the past 28 years. Smile

crvc

Is that horse dead from all the beating it took in this thread??
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: The reason for sway bars? Reply with quote

The last car I did any suspension work on was my MINI Cooper. I replaced the stock 16mm rear bar with an adjustable 19mm, and put it on the stiffest setting. The car went from having a slight amount of understeer to feeling as if it had a pole straight down through the middle of the car during cornering. Iow, very hard to break either end loose.

Point is, they do work, in the right applications.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason for sway bars? Reply with quote

It's all about balance. I upped my MINI's rear bar by 3mm and it went from slight understeer to feeling like there was pole down through the middle of the floor into the road. The car would pivot around that point and was unshakeable.
blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: The reason for sway bars? Reply with quote

My Beetle has a heavy duty front anti-sway bar. The front is also lowered 1+ inch. After hearing this discussion, should I remove the front anti-sway bar to improve performance?
bigryanh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Ok Dwayne1m, you may have me on the World of Outlaws cockpit adjustable sway bars. I quit playing with cars in the dirt when I was about 7. (NOT meant to be a slam - racing is racing and I'll race just about anything if given the opportunity)
This was my ride.

I am familiar with this Sprint Car,

If you look close up front you will see something that looks like an aluminum trailing arm. THAT is actually the sway bar link. And on this Sprint car it is cockpit adjustable.

And although I don’t spend a lot of time at the dirt track, I do try to go see what’s going on once or twice a year and I have several friends and racing buddies who are into that stuff. The one thing I have found is that in much of the dirt track racing, rules in certain categories of cars can differ greatly just from one track to another. I know guys running late models who will only run one track, or won’t run certain other tracks because of rules changes that would effect their cars.

Knowing that certain groups of 410 Sprint Cars do run adjustable sway bars, I wrongly assumed the World of Outlaw guys did too.

But it has been pointed out they do still run rear sway bars!

See you in the winners circle! Or is it the Whiner’s Circle?

You are mistaken. The aluminum trailing arm is attached to the Torsion Bar, not the sway bar. They do not run Sway bars of any design, however most every mainstream dirt sprint car runs torsion bars suspension and a few may run coil-over front suspension. A couple of guys may have experimented with a sway bar set up, but there has never been the norm. Asphalt Sprint cars may run a sway bar, however I am not sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason for sway bars? Reply with quote

blue65 wrote:

My Beetle has a heavy duty front anti-sway bar. The front is also lowered 1+ inch. After hearing this discussion, should I remove the front anti-sway bar to improve performance?

Is there something wrong with the performance of your car???

There's a reason the factory put anti-sway bars on these things...

Unless you're planning on driving off road, over uneven surfaces, you should leave it where it is.

(PS: people reading to this thread, look at the date of the posts you're replying to Wink )
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: