Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 brake conundrum
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jared Roy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

Hey guys and girls. I have 5/68 baywindow bus with fresh wheel cylinders, lines, and master cylinder done recently. I went to stop the other day (on flat ground, thank goodness) and brake fluid started spraying out of the reservoir cap all over the underneath of the dash. No brakes whatsoever. Has this happened to anyone before?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

Shocked That's a new one, apparently you have issues in the master cylinder. Was it rebuilt?, or a new replacement?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

How about a couple pics of your installed master cylinder?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jared Roy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

It's a German made new replacement. I don't have any pictures. I've had many buses and nothing like this has ever happened. I've owned this one for 20 years. I'm gonna pull it off when I get a chance. Just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience. Thanks.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

Never. I just thought maybe someone plumbed it wrong
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

that is a new one.sounds almost like it injected compressed air in the system.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

That effect is commonly caused by either a compensation port flap valve either bent, cracked or propped open by crud.... letting high pressure back into the reservoir on the pressure stroke.....or a flap valve combined with a cup seal that is also bypassing on the inisde where it contacts the piston (sloppy fitting seal)....and usually coupled with a fluid reservoir that is overly full.

Usually if the fluid fill level is correct....which is not up to the brim.....a back pressure surge crom an internal defective flap valve or piston seal....does not move enough volume to force flujd out the top. The piston circuit volume is just not that big.

And....with the piston stroke pressure venting through a conpensation port.....there is no pressure building on the circuit so you lose brake pressure.

The risk of propping a flap valve open or cutting a cup.....with a simple grain of grit....is why every single brake hydraulic part on brand new assemblies gets stripped and cleaned with denatured alochol. You would be amazed at the crap that comes out....even on German parts. Brake cylinders (short of anti lock brake metering blocks) are not assembled in clean rooms by people with white gloves. Ray
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

Brake conun - drum indeed.
Jared Roy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies. I can't imagine why after only 500 or so miles it would decide to get air or crud in it. I was very generous with the brakleen and air compressor with the super jet on it. I'll get to the bottom of things when I get it apart. Once again, thank you.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

Jared Roy wrote:
Thanks for all of the replies. I can't imagine why after only 500 or so miles it would decide to get air or crud in it. I was very generous with the brakleen and air compressor with the super jet on it. I'll get to the bottom of things when I get it apart. Once again, thank you.

Uh.....you CANNOT....use brakleen IINSIDE of master cylinders, wheel cylinders or calipers.

If you are using the CRC brand of "brakleen"....it is made of Acetone, toluene and C02. The Acetone is fine with the EPDM rubber inside.....but the Toluene is NOT. It eats EPDM for lunch.

Again....you ONLY, ONLY, ONLY clean EPDM with denatured alcohol.....and only high quality denatured alcohol. Read the msds sheets about wbat may be blended in the denatured alcohol.

The wrong chemistry will cause the EPDM seals to soften and swell. That can be a prime cause of what happened to you.

Also.....unless you DISASSEMBLED and cleaned the MC....it can very easily have still had the grit i nside of it and goit in the wrong place 500 miles later.

But hearing you used brake cleaner internally....my bet is not grit....but swelled seals. Ray
Jared Roy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

No no no. Not the corrosive crap, and not internally. Just made sure there was no road crud that could get inside.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

If one of your brakes is dragging and you boil the fluid in one of the slaves this might happen.
Jared Roy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

Thanks Wildthings. I considered that but none of the brakes are dragging.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

Good to hear you kept the brakleen out of the guts.

I would carefully....on a layer of paper towels....disassemble the MC.....looking at what floes out of it. Look carefully at each piston begore pulling anythi ng furthet apart and see if it appears that any of the little brass flap valves that are between the cups and pistons....appear to be lifted away from the piston head surface

Also see if there is excessive slack on the piston of any of the cup seals.

Thoigh you may or may not be able to fix it.....its nice to actually find whats wrong. Ray
Jared Roy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

I'll do that. Thanks for the advice Ray.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

I think you have air in the brake lines. Try adjusting the brakes and bleeding them with a pressure bleeder.

The compensating port gets covered with the piston cup seal. There is no "flap." Brakekleen can be used on the metal parts to clean them however it has to be the zero residue kind and compressed air must be used to get all of it out. As Ray said it CANNOT get on the seals, nor can there be any residue left to get on the seals. Generic parts cleaner cannot be used either because it leaves a residue. Then let it sit in the sun for awhile or on the work bench to Make sure all has evaporated. I've seen some folks use really hot soapy water but the drying process has to be instantaneous or flash rust forms. I'd say use brake fluid to wash it out but I once ruined a good set of calipers when it stayed s couple days in high humidity weather and the remaiining fluid, which is hygroscopic, pulled enough moisture out of the air to cause rust pits inside the calipers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 brake conundrum Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I think you have air in the brake lines. Try adjusting the brakes and bleeding them with a pressure bleeder.

The compensating port gets covered with the piston cup seal. There is no "flap." Brakekleen can be used on the metal parts to clean them however it has to be the zero residue kind and compressed air must be used to get all of it out. As Ray said it CANNOT get on the seals, nor can there be any residue left to get on the seals. Generic parts cleaner cannot be used either because it leaves a residue. Then let it sit in the sun for awhile or on the work bench to Make sure all has evaporated. I've seen some folks use really hot soapy water but the drying process has to be instantaneous or flash rust forms. I'd say use brake fluid to wash it out but I once ruined a good set of calipers when it stayed s couple days in high humidity weather and the remaiining fluid, which is hygroscopic, pulled enough moisture out of the air to cause rust pits inside the calipers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh man....I learned the hard way that same way.

If you rebuild using brake fluid as the assembly lube....in humid cool weather....you have to install and bleed immediatly. Waiting a few days or so....can leave you a rusty mess.

And yes....there are two flap valves. When I say "flap valve"....I am refering to the thin brass shim/rings behind the inner seal of both pistons. These are the meteriny flaps that cover the pisyon compensation ports.
When you step on the brakes and the piston cups pressurize....they push the brass flap valves tight against the pisyin face....plugging the fluid return ports underneath them.

On the returm stroke.....when the piston is retracting.....the piston seals shift forward and the flap valves unseat....effectively letting the piston be pulled through the fluid without pushing fluid behind the piston back up into the reservoir.

If one of those flap valves is stuck or propped open.....on the pressure stroke....high pressure can bypass though the return ports in the piston....and pressurize the reservoir.

If by chance this eruption happened on the return stroke of the pedal.....it means that a flap valve stuck closed....and the fluid in the middle of the piston between the two heads....could get pushed upwards towards the reservoir....but I cannot see that having any real pressure. Rat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: