Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
batoni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

Hello folks
I am looking for good quality door and all body seals for my notchback. Currently Cip1 has thanksgiving sale 20%off and their deluxe door kit including OE German outer rubber seals is around 425$
ISPWEST kit comes with their own made outer seals.
Any suggestions and experience which to purchase?
Also,I need suggestions for front and back windshields seals with groove for molding,as well as side windows seals,front and rear hood seals.
Whats your experience and whats top of the line products out there?
Thanks in advance
Batoni
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

Well, it's been a little over 4 years since ISPwest did my fastback. They used their seals, of course. Everything fits fine and is lasting (except sunroof seals which they cautioned me about at the time). They make their own windshield rubber and it has the correct larger profile for the Type 3. Some have struggled with installing it and getting the corners right, others had little difficulty. Overall I 'd recommend their parts (and their work). They are not the cheapest but they have done well on my Clementine. My car is garaged so it isn't a hard test, but they all look brand new still. I'd check on other threads about windshield seals to get a fuller picture.
batoni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

Thanks for your response.
The thing is,my notch is located in Europe,and I happen to be in the states. I am going next summer to Europe,and planning to change all the seals once I arrive there. I am just trying to purchase best quality seals and bring them with me across the ocean nex summer.
Thats I am hunting now the parts here.
Do not even ask me what a pain is going with all that through airports and customs.
Last year I brought from here lots of stuff,but the biggest pain were rocker panel trim from ISPWEST. Had such a headache at Miami airport,they wanted to charge me 200$ for excessive length and make it as a additional peace of luggage.
Thats why I am asking you guys to help me here with your experience. Once I buy stuff here,and brin it across the ocean, thats it,no returns or refunds
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

According to Tram, the better than ISP window seals are available in Europe or the UK. I can't remember which.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
batoni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

Thanks Bobnotch
I beleive you can still find oem seals in Germany,but trust me, for me is more hassle ordering from there than from here.
If I order from Germany, I am facing 40-60 % duty and custom fees.
That's why is easier for me to do it here.
But,if someone has any source of information of European websites,at last,I can consider that as an option.
Still listening your experiences.
Thanks.
This is the best site to learn about aircooled vw.
I can bet there is some German sites as well,but,like most of you,I do not speak German language, and Google translate is not the best source.
Thanks Samba fellas
batoni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

https://m.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeigen/autoteile-reifen-deutschland/vw-typ-3-1500/c223-l0

If any of you can use this,the above link is good source for parts in Germany. In most cases,those German sellers do not ship out of country,but you never know.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

I'm using the CIP German door seals on my Notch.

Keep in mind that the rest of the door parts are kind of hit and miss. I only say that as the big "C" channel from anybody is a beetle part and it's short. You'll want the narrower front wing upright post "C" channel, and 2 sets of inner bus scrapers (1 for the inside, and 1 for the outside per door). At this point, I'm currently looking for the wing window flap rubber (wing window side of the chrome upright piece...don't know what it's called), as I can't seem to get the right one from either CIP or ISP.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
batoni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

Bobnotch,
Thank you, sir.
Thats what I tought,that Cip1 door kit is mixed stuff.
I am thinking to buy just oem auter sesls,and they have genuine vw inner scrapers,and hunt the rest on net.
Tell me please at least are those oem seals real oem? Are they really fit as originals,and have that square piece around hinges area?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

Speaking of seals....My type 3 squareback needs the door seals right and left, rear hatch seal, engine cover seal, and hood seal.
Options are West Coast Metric ISP West and CIP1 or??
Where would you purchase from...looking for input.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

batoni wrote:
Bobnotch,
Thank you, sir.
Thats what I tought,that Cip1 door kit is mixed stuff.
I am thinking to buy just oem auter sesls,and they have genuine vw inner scrapers,and hunt the rest on net.
Tell me please at least are those oem seals real oem? Are they really fit as originals,and have that square piece around hinges area?

I believe they are reproduction, but look exactly like the NOS seals that I used on my wife's Fastback, and fit great. I've had them on there for about 19 years now, and the doors are still hard to close with the windows closed as they push air out when closing just like my wife's car does (the NOS seals were installed in 1990 while they were still available). Yes, they DO have the correct square rubber piece for the door check rod molded in them.

What you really have to do though, is investigate each companies "complete door kit", as they are not all created equal. While CIP uses German door seals, they also use bus inner glass seals, and bug glass run channel (big "C" shaped piece). I don't know if the front glass run channel is wide or narrow now, but it used to be the correct narrow piece. The trim around the opening used to be Brazilian, and is shaped incorrectly (I just replace the rubber part on originals now if the trim is still in good shape), so I don't know what they're offering these days. The front half of the wing window seal is correct though. The piece for the wing window glass piece is still just flat rubber though.

I can't tell you what the ISP kit has in it other than the long glass run channel piece, as it's the same as a bug (checked their web site on that one). They also use bus inner scrappers too (again checked their site). I didn't look too deep, as I was partly looking at prices, and partly looking to see what was in stock for a 69 Square I have here.
I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Speaking of seals....My type 3 squareback needs the door seals right and left, rear hatch seal, engine cover seal, and hood seal.
Options are West Coast Metric ISP West and CIP1 or??
Where would you purchase from...looking for input.

Check the CIP site first, as most of those seals ARE WCM, but sold cheaper than WCM lists them for. I really don't know who is making their German door seals at this time. Keep in mind that the tail gate seal and the hood seal are the same, or at least used to be (lengths were the only difference). I know I used one on my old 70 Square, and it worked fine (I'm using 1 for my Notch trunk lid seal). It doesn't have molded corners though (not sure IF any of them do). You could check ISP, and see if theirs has molded corners like your original has/had.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
At this point, I'm currently looking for the wing window flap rubber (wing window side of the chrome upright piece...don't know what it's called), as I can't seem to get the right one from either CIP or ISP.
I hope this helps.

Bob,
I got this seal from Wolfsburg West. It's not the original bulb-shape profile but it works/seals very well. I think they call it a vent window flap seal.

111 837 629
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

Hey guys, I just wanted to clarify some information in here regarding our ISP door kit(s) and door kits offered by others.

Door Seals:

The German door seals that are available these days are really hard and tough on latches/hinges. They are correct for 1966 & later models with the seal around the check strap, but this needs to be removed for earlier models which use their own seal. If it's not removed, the door is hard to close along with other issues. Even on later models, these seals are really stiff. There are also really bad Brazilian seals floating around that are just garbage. I don't know enough about other kits to know if other sellers offer these in their kits. Because of these issues, we made our own seal using a single extrusion based on the profile of an original seal. They're soft, universal (fit all years), and 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of German door seals. Also, they're made in the USA which we do whenever we can and whenever it's feasible. We sell both the German and our own USA-made seals so it makes no difference to us which one you prefer. Most people cannot afford German seals...so a cheaper option was a must for us. Here's a video I made a couple years ago regarding installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28KON4YZbuw

You can always swap out our seals for German if you'd like and we'd just charge you the difference.

Outer Scrapers/Trim:

These are all Brazilian and are the only scrapers available. We are looking into reproducing these as the Brazilian scrapers/trim are sure to run out eventually.

Inner Scrapers:

Most sellers are going to offer modified Baywindow inner scrapers. We used to offer these as well. A couple years ago we decided to tool up and manufacture our own inner scrapers using original NOS scrapers as samples. We also made new wires as well. Correct Type 3 scrapers are now available and we're proud of these. We include these and the wires in our kit(s).

Vent Wing Seals:

Most sellers are going to offer Beetle vent wing seals. Sometimes these are modified by the seller, and sometimes they are not. If they are not, you'll need to know what you are doing and how to modify them. We used to modify our Beetle vent wing seals before sending them. Last year we tooled up and created our own Type 3 vent wing seals using NOS Type 3 vent wing seals. We went back and forth many times with corrections in order to get these right. Again, correct Type 3 vent wing seals are now available! We include these in our kit(s).

Felt(s):

Large felts, between the glass and the frame are all the same whether they're Bug, Bay, or Type 3. We've never had issues with these. We do recommend using original clips as they're better than reproductions. If you have to use reproductions, no biggie..we use them all the time when there's no other option. If you can save your originals without breaking the clip off, try to do so. Also, shaping these around the door glass prior to installation gives you a better curve with less chance of "folding." Our large felts are made in Germany. I'm not sure what other vendors offer in their kits.

Small felts (vent wing assembly), differ in size between early and late. Early vent wing assemblies use a smaller felt. Smaller felts were used from 1961-1965, and larger smaller felts were used from 1966 to 1973. These are also German in our kits.

Flap Seal(s):

Like the vent wing felt channels, there are different flap seals depending on the year. The year breakdown is the same as the small felts. Early (1961-1965) is the same as what sjbartnik mentioned (111837629) and the later (1966-1973) are (241837465). The later seal is the "bulb" type.

Kit(s):

We offer (3) different door rebuild kits.

- 1961 to 1965
- 1966 to 1967
- 1968 to 1973

That's really it for the major components. We do a lot of door rebuilds and use everything that we sell. Over the years, we've sourced the best parts for the job, and when those aren't available we've made them. As far as other vendors go, I doubt they use the parts like we do. Not trying to put any other sellers or vendors down, that's just the truth. We'd like to make everything, but tooling up for these individual parts can cost thousands of dollars and take years to recoup. It just isn't feasible at this time. That's just how it is with a niche market like Type 3s.

I plan on putting together a door rebuild thread soon because most parts still require a little bit of modification to get the job done right. I think this would help everyone, even if you don't go with our kits. Hopefully this helps and if there are any questions feel free to ask away.

Thanks!

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest

Last edited by squaretobehip on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
batoni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

Thank you somuch for thorough explanation of your door seal kit,sir.
This has clarified lots of my cofusions about this kit.
Iwill PM you.
I
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
Hey guys, I just wanted to clarify some information in here regarding our ISP door kit(s) and door kits offered by others.

Thanks! Very good information.
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

what type of adhesive should i use to glue a tailgate seal in with.
when my resto was done they put the seal in with contact adhesive
(the yellow stuff thats used on laminate for benchtops in kitchens).
and they put the seal on with the wrong side facing out so it leaked.
so want to do it the right way round with the correct glue......
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
At this point, I'm currently looking for the wing window flap rubber (wing window side of the chrome upright piece...don't know what it's called), as I can't seem to get the right one from either CIP or ISP.
I hope this helps.

Bob,
I got this seal from Wolfsburg West. It's not the original bulb-shape profile but it works/seals very well. I think they call it a vent window flap seal.

111 837 629

Thank you Sean.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

[quote="squaretobehip]

Felt(s):

Large felts, between the glass and the frame are all the same whether they're Bug, Bay, or Type 3. We've never had issues with these. We do recommend using original clips as they're better than reproductions. If you have to use reproductions, no biggie..we use them all the time when there's no other option. If you can save your originals without breaking the clip off, try to do so. Also, shaping these around the door glass prior to installation gives you a better curve with less chance of "folding." Our large felts are made in Germany. I'm not sure what other vendors offer in their kits.

Thanks![/quote]

Just so you know, the "large felts" are 4 inches too short, because they are bug "felts". Yes I've used them before, but they don't extend into the black lock cover part of the window track. Since you can't see this, most people don't think about it until the felt wears out some (from use) and you get a rattle. I normally use the best part of the old ones to make up the difference in length.
The set I just received from CIP are made in Germany/Netherlands, but are bug sized.

I do agree on trying to use the original clips, as all of the repops are too long.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

Peters Van wrote:

I use either yellow or black (if I have it) 3M weatherstrip adhesive. I've found the yellow holds the best, but it's messy. The black blends in better.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Cip1 vs ISPwest door seal kit Reply with quote

Peters Van wrote:

We've always used this:

https://www.vwispwest.com/MMM-08001.html

There is a black available as well but I've never used it.

Make sure you install your new seal like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: