Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Garage smells with gasoline leak
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ienjoyvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Garage smells with gasoline leak Reply with quote

Good morning,
Please help if you can. I have a 56 bug sedan, stock 36hp engine and for the past few days when i enter the closed garage where the bug is parked, it smells of a gas leak. I have re-tightened all of the gas lines at the engine and there are no apparent leaks at the fittings or throughout the tubing itself. Nothing seams to be dripping out of the carburetor. I opened the trunk and nothing smells around the gas tank whatsoever. When i open the car door and stick my head in, nothing smells.

What would you suggest?

Thanks very much
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ienjoyvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Garage smells with gasoline leak Reply with quote

I think I may have found the leak. There is a rubber gas supply flex hose behind the rear tire location which appears to connect the rigid steel supply tubing from the gas tank to a short steel tube which goes into the engine compartment and connects to the fuel pump and one end of this rubber tube has wet gas around it.
Inasmuch as the two ends of this rubber tube do not have clamps, they seem to be friction fit, would you try a hose clamp as your first attempt?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Garage smells with gasoline leak Reply with quote

They do not need clamps as long as the line is tight on the metal fittings but if it's wet, replace the line.
The ends are probably cracked from age and it's rotting from the inside out.
It will only get worse.

It doesn't hurt to add clamps too. On a new rubber line.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ienjoyvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Garage smells with gasoline leak Reply with quote

As always THANKS!
ienjoyvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Garage smells with gasoline leak Reply with quote

Ooops one more question; when i remove this rubber hose to replace it, will all of the gas in the tank want to run out of the open end?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage smells with gasoline leak Reply with quote

Yes it will. If your car still has a working reserve valve then you can put it in the off position.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage smells with gasoline leak Reply with quote

Grab yourself some hose pinchers whenever you can.

https://m.autozone.com/wrenches-pliers-and-cutters/hose-clamp-pliers/oem-hose-pinchers/191675_0_0
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage smells with gasoline leak Reply with quote

Yes, if you don't have a reserve valve to turn off, there is a rubber hose up front under the tank that you can crimp.
It's a short line from the tank outlet to metal line on body

Of course that one might be worn out too. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage smells with gasoline leak Reply with quote

Today's fuel mixtures, ethanol in particular, rot the crap rubber their made of these days (doesn't matter who you got it from, unless it is stated for use alcohol fuel mixtures).. they swell, they shrink, they crack or seep after a season or three...

I can't tell you how many times I've had to remove again & again 12" sections of the best stuff I could find (short of braided high pressure fuel injection line which aint cheap Vs. off the shelf fuel lines on a roll sold by the foot) that ethanol hasn't disintegrated at one time or another...

So if you don't have shut off valve then yes, find whats seeping & pinch it off as needed... but after the fact, pay a few bucks & buy the best rubber lines you can find...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: