Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Clara wrote:
Yes, moving to California.

Exclamation Question

^^^ will mis you at the PNW shows. Be well

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

just a technical annotation, yesterday I measured resistivity between coil 15 and Vbat, when I turn on the key is 0.5 Ohms.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Shocked

cdennisg wrote:
Clara wrote:

Exclamation Question

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Abscate wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
WTF is a freeway?

It’s a road paid for by others.

"Others"? Check out what taxes are on gas and registration in California for road repairs and construction. If you live here, YOU pay for the roads.

If you live in CA, you are paying for another 39 states roads and bridges too, and we thank you for your donation.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

So... What was the answer?
Or did you just want people to guess because you hadn't figured it out yet?

I had a similar problem before because the power wire to the fuse box, the one that goes to the coil, was loose. Also the power wire fell off the coil at that end once.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
crofty wrote:
Abscate wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
WTF is a freeway?

"Others"? Check out what taxes are on gas and registration in California for road repairs and construction. If you live here, YOU pay for the roads.

If you live in CA, you are paying for another 39 states roads and bridges too, and we thank you for your donation.

Interesting. Proof please.

Also, stole this off the interwebs:
A highway is a major public road, usually connecting multiple cities. a freeway is part of a highway with 2 or more lanes on each side, no tolls, sometimes termed expressway, no intersections or cross streets. a parkway is a major public road, usually decorated, sometimes part of a highway, has traffic lights.

Basically a highway can have cross-streets, freeways do not.
All freeways are highways but not all highways are freeways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Why do we park in the driveway, but drive on the parkway?
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Welcome! Some of us like it here. I mean, REALLY like it here. Cool
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Basically a highway can have cross-streets, freeways do not.

When Eisenhower created the interstate system, one mile in six would be straight so aircraft could land in the event of a nuclear war and evacuate citizens.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

My 66 EZ camper had symptoms just like Clara’s 61. It would restart usually very quickly, and sometimes coincided with hitting rough pavement. It took a while to figure out. It finally did it at night and I saw a flash of light under the left side dash. The fuse box was vibrating out of its holder and shorting out. It did not behave like an electrical problem initially....it would sputter at intersections, not just die instantly, and seemingly be revived by jockeying the gas pedal.

I thought freeways were actually free, just like all other free things from the government? Sure, there’s the cost of printing the money to pay for the free stuff, but they can just print more money to pay for that. Smile
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Abscate wrote:
crofty wrote:
Abscate wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
WTF is a freeway?

https://www.politifact.com/california/article/2017/feb/14/does-california-give-more-it-gets-dc/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_tax_revenue_by_state

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
crofty wrote:
Abscate wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
WTF is a freeway?

And if you live in other states you pay to support California. I do business in many states and Cal charges me a minimum of $900/yr income tax just to be able to do business in Cal. Even if I do zero gross dollars in sales. Rolling Eyes

I have to file 1040s in many states, and I pay more tax to Cal than I do to every other state combined (except my home state of Ohio).
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Abscate wrote:
crofty wrote:
Abscate wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
WTF is a freeway?

https://www.politifact.com/california/article/2017/feb/14/does-california-give-more-it-gets-dc/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_tax_revenue_by_state

Ah-ha so not specifically to roads and bridges, just in general through taxes.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Sorry to interrupt your discussion on taxes. Wink

I think the hesitation was the innards of the switch falling apart. Then it was done and no go. I have not actually diagnosed it yet, as I did not have time yet. I’ll update when I know.

When I started this thread, I was thinking how little people actually drive their buses anymore. The discussions are mostly about restorations. I wondered how much and who could actually trouble shoot stupid bus problems.
Thanks for your input. Smile

Drive your bus.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

I drive mine every day! 'Cept when I'm driving the Bug or the Plump Truck. Confused

Where in Kalifohnya are you moving to? Iffin in SoCal, you should see more people driving them than where it gets cold, wet and/or snowy. Cool
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
I drive mine every day...you should see more people driving them than where it gets cold, wet and/or snowy. Cool

I drive the crap out of mine throughout the week, just haven't had - knock, knock, knock - [that] particular problem yet. Good luck and hope the diagnosis and solution is simple. Cheers.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Sorry to interrupt your discussion on taxes. Wink

I think the hesitation was the innards of the switch falling apart. Then it was done and no go. I have not actually diagnosed it yet, as I did not have time yet. I’ll update when I know.

When I started this thread, I was thinking how little people actually drive their buses anymore. The discussions are mostly about restorations. I wondered how much and who could actually trouble shoot stupid bus problems.
Thanks for your input. Smile

Drive your bus.

I’m leaving for Taos NM later today in my 65 Westy. At some point I’ll have to lay under the back and wire the heater lever (maybe both if it gets cold enough). Then I regulate the cabin temp with fresh air. Much easier than just fixing the heater cable !

I’ve probably only had 10 days this year that the bus wasn’t driven.
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

While i've been stranded on a the side of a road a few times where this trick could have come in handy, I've never tried it. It seems like a clever hack to run a wire from the battery to the coil. Can ya'll explain a bit more how to do it properly? I imagine just run a wire from positive post to the + on the coil. The same solution on the light also seems clever.
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

The problem had happened the day before flying out to the east coast for Bulli Brigade. While we were out east, a wee wildfire started in the mountains near Chico. When we got back Nov 15th, the smoke was thick in the air at the SF airport as we landed. It stayed thick until the rain started about the 21st.
With staying out of the smoke, visiting family for Thanksgiving, one thing and another, I did not get to the bus till Saturday.

I already had a spare ignition switch keyed to the og key code for the bus, so just to replace it, right?

( I had picked up a set of bags of NOS wafers and springs from Bill Dierickxs about 20 years ago, and from time to time use them on my personal collection. Interestingly enough, the key I use for the bus, I got from someone (in Oregon?) ages ago. He had found a key ring with one of every code of Witte key for the 64-63 door key series. They were like brand new, un worn! At a show he would give away a key to anyone who had that particular key code for the locks on their bus. I forget who that was, but thanks again! I still have the key and the bus! Smile

Anyhow, I un did the screw under the ignition switch, and tried to remove the switch. finally wiggled it out, and it had pulled one wire off. Hm, it should have wiggled out easier, with all three wires still connected. Anyway, it did not look fried. Replaced it anyway.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now, when I bought this bus it was I think 94. I did not know as much then about wiring as I do now. Looking at it now, who ran a BLACK wire to the starter terminal 50? Where is the other wire (to 15, which should be black) ? Why are there crappy connectors? Greg loves to clean up wiring, so I asked him to take care of it, and pretty soon there were bad old terminals scattered across the floor. He attached nice new ones, replaced a wire, and sorted it out. Smile

I tested the old switch with a voltohmeter, and it seemed to work correctly. Hm.
Meanwhile, I figured I'd remove the hotwire.

It was a speaker wire, attached at the hot battery terminal (which was removed from the battery to turn the bus off when I got home). The other end went to the 15 of the coil. I had removed the black wire you see wrapped around the breather hose, from the coil.... that is the wire for the backup lights. I needed a terminal for the hotwire, and so the back up lights didn't get power for the time being.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What went wrong? 61 dead on freeway. Reply with quote

Those door panels !!!! Gotta be somebody that makes nice replacements Wink

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: