Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob.e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Looking good.

Love those wheels. - who made them? Are they 5x112?
fxshov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Enjoyed your post. I have a 73 as well. It also was OG Orange and White. Im going through it as well. Can't wait to see your finished ride.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

73 Bay Window
05 Tundra
12 Scion
93 HD Softtail
18 NX 2500
I need a bigger garage.
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Painter finally wrapped the bus. 1 month turned into 5 on this one, but I'm stoked to have it back.

Went from body shop directly to upholstery shop to install headliner. Headliner came from JBugs (Acme manufactured) and had a plastic rib at the back. Threw us for a loop, but upholstery guy cut it out and wrapped headliner into pocket for door seal. End result looks great.

It's now back with the other projects and ready for a methodical winter build.

To do:

Raise beam 1"
Install Wagonswest adjustable spring plates in rear
Sort tires and wheels (struggling to get rubber band tires on 17" alloys)
Install all doors
Sort interior panels (ordered from West Coast Metric, but just noticed they created their own color chart, that differs from TMI). Color isn't bad, but not what I originally had in mind.
Wire compressor for air shocks
Sort a clever location for additional gauges (anyone ever do a center console under the e-brake?)
Install all the glass
Have custom front bench upholstered
Probably some other stuff as well.

Upside, it's now winter here and first show isn't until June, so time is on my side!

Downside, is it'll be roughly 7 years from start to finish.
1961 Patina Bug

Last edited by AirKooledGarage on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

rob.e wrote:
Looking good.

Love those wheels. - who made them? Are they 5x112?

Empi 17x7 knock offs trimmed down to 4.5" by Vintage V-Dubs in So Cal.

Local tire jockeys trashed them trying to get rubber band 45 series on. Back to powder and then to tuner kids shop a few hours away to get them sorted.
1961 Patina Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

fxshov wrote:
Enjoyed your post. I have a 73 as well. It also was OG Orange and White. Im going through it as well. Can't wait to see your finished ride.

Just noticed your Upland, grew up near there. Love the view of Mt Baldy!
1961 Patina Bug
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Installed the Wagonswest adjustable spring plate and test fit rear wheel. Love the look and realizing adjustable plates are mandatory! Tucked the 17" wheel with little issue. No air in the Monroes and axle sits 3/4" off the frame notch. Next up is raising the beam!

1961 Patina Bug
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

That color is super nice. Keep ut up!
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Man that's looking great.. Sure does make me want to go ahead and bit the bullet to tub and notch mine. I'd like to be just a little more down from where I am now.

Keep up the nice work!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Winter in the Midwest is the perfect time to wrench. Snowing sideways and pretty cold means you're probably not going anywhere. Garage is nice and warm and UPS just dropped off a fresh batch of parts.

Today was more about the little stuff, but still pretty satisfying.

Tested out the TMI upholstery. Fresh clips and plugs (I love the detail stuff). Really happy with the tan/light green combo. Wish J-Bugs had not jacked my seat cover order or that'd be happening as well.

Rebuilt the e brake assembly. Fresh slider and bumper (did you know it DOESN'T have to make that clangy sound when you release it?). C&C out of the UK has all the goods to make this work. I'd really like a fresh handle, but have not found anything that works.

Once parking brake was sorted, the rest of the controls fell into place. All seals, rubber boots and grommets, pretty close to what the factory had intended. Looking at carpet to match the upholstery down the road.

Next up is assembling the dash (shot before e brake redux). Wet sanding left a ton of residue on everything, so this one may be tedious. Plumbed an electric WW pump and have most of the wires labeled. Although a little painful, should wrap by end of the weekend.
1961 Patina Bug
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

AirKooledGarage wrote:

Wow, that image gives me a headache, imagining the work required to get it all back together. Best of luck to ya!

Now that it's 5 years into this rebuild, is your son still stoked about it? He's close to driving age now, and that would be a cool vehicle to drive to school. Cool

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Although he's not working on the bus much, the Kid has been through a 66, 72 and 78 bugs (bought and sold) and is now building a barn find 65 buggy.

We also have a long buggy and a 68 vert in play.

1961 Patina Bug

Last edited by AirKooledGarage on Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Not as much done today, but progress nonetheless.

Got the bench put together and mounted (upholstery will come next month). Most of the wiring is cleaned up and marked as well. Also decided on turn signals, which will now be hidden in grill.

Not sure I'm in love with black headlight rings, but we'll see how it rolls out with wheels and other accents. Cleaned up some old mats we had laying around and dropped them in until we decide on carpet.
1961 Patina Bug
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

That project is looking really good. I'm pretty much stock in my taste, but it seems like you're really doing that right and careful.

Where did you get all the rubber for the pedals, shifter, etc?
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Thanks, labor of love.

Some of the rubber came from CIP1 and the obscure stuff from Custom & Commercial in the UK.

The rubber bumpers under the floor for clutch/throttle and e-brake return are my favorite. Everything feels so much more solid and sorted.
1961 Patina Bug
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Winter weekends are made for wrenching.

Wrapped up the wiring and dash rebuild. Got a chance to use the Escutcheon tool as well!

Built this dash years ago. Hated the foam and not a radio fan, so we smoothed in everything. Stoked on the look. Not a fan of the auxiliary gauges, though. Considering creating a narrow center console from ashtray to floor.

Every part possible was replaced, crazy details like the seal behind the gauges, the glove box, air vents, levers, bulbs even found a perfect dash pad. Rally need a decent steering wheel now.
1961 Patina Bug
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Another solid weekend of progress. Short of compressor for air shocks and whatever blue tooth amp we end up using, the electrical is wrapped.

Bumper and fog light layed out nicely. Not using rear defogger so dash switch for the now handles the fog light and no additional holes were drilled in the dash.

Secret signals worked pretty well.

Fresh windshield washer jets, correct rubber seals for wiper shafts and nut cover. hope is to avoid leaks. We'll see!

Ordered door switches from CIP1, not sure what I did wrong, but these are useless. Luckily, originals cleaned up OK.

Tail lights, and engine cover went together nicely, although fresh rubber is making it hard to close. Hoping that settles down. Next up is bumper.
1961 Patina Bug
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Where is that drooling emoticon when you need it Laughing

Looking great!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Where is that drooling emoticon when you need it Laughing

Looking great!

No doubt!

I'm pretty much a stock guy. However, your bus and this one have certainly opened my eyes to the lowered stance. Both buses are amazing! I love the way they look. The craftsmanship is beautiful.

Nice work!!!
Cool
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

The world has yet to see any door switches even close to original quality. You got the best on the market Laughing

That is looking really dang good!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Thanks! Happy with the results so far. Should have doors hung and wheels/suspension sorted by month end. That's the part I'm super stoked on!
1961 Patina Bug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: