Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Walk throughs
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnnybgoood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Walk throughs Reply with quote

when was the first walk through made and what models were they offered in?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

Johnnybgoood wrote:

Oldest known is the Bob Hammond 55 BD Panel:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

All models but Panels are the most common.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Johnnybgoood wrote:

Oldest known is the Bob Hammond 55 BD Panel:

Can you imagine if you had to find those seats.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Drew Ogden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

The earliest standard walkthroughs were built in 1958.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

with the obvious exception of Single cabs and Double cabs.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
dubstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

a walk-thru double cab would be sweet...

mandraks wrote:
EverettB wrote:

http://instagram.com/john_aka_dubstar/
http://web.stagram.com/n/john_aka_dubstar/

"you could transport really tall things too, like a giraffe"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

dubstar wrote:

mandraks wrote:
EverettB wrote:

A local guy here in Sacramento area has a '61 DC, where the PO replaced the hacked up, rusted original bulkhead with a walk-thru section and seats. It looks great and should have been a factory option, much like the deletion of the rear seat & pedestal...the idea might be 60 years too late haha. Damn, it would have met the utilitarian criteria for me.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
dubstar wrote:

mandraks wrote:
EverettB wrote:

A local guy here in Sacramento area has a '61 DC, where the PO replaced the hacked up, rusted original bulkhead with a walk-thru section and seats. It looks great and should have been a factory option, much like the deletion of the rear seat & pedestal...the idea might be 60 years too late haha. Damn, it would have met the utilitarian criteria for me.

There have been a couple over the years, including one with corner windows, skylights and a sunroof, IIRC.

Definitely a cool setup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

Z wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:
dubstar wrote:

mandraks wrote:
EverettB wrote:

There have been a couple over the years, including one with corner windows, skylights and a sunroof, IIRC.

Definitely a cool setup.

I've said it before- the most versatile model VW never made...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Bugugly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

But don't forget the swivel seat panel walk-thru Very Happy
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:

speaking of rear seat delete for the DC. Always wondered why there was not a folding seat option without a pedestal so you could stick stuff under the seat? and fold it up to get bulky stuff in there.

If i ever build another crewcab, i will definitely do that.

Also: there is really no reason not to have a driver side treasure chest door for the DC.

and, clearly the coolest one would be a RHD crewcab with the suicide rear door. with semaphores

Uli

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
A local guy here in Sacramento area has a '61 DC, where the PO replaced the hacked up, rusted original bulkhead with a walk-thru section and seats. It looks great and should have been a factory option

From the technical specs for 61 models, DCs had the lowest payload rating @ 1543 pounds. (SCs were a little more at 1764 and panels had the highest at 1830).

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/infoimages.php

They all used the same brakes and transmission, so the differences must reflect what VW thought the different structures could handle.

Taking out the bulkead would have weakened the DC structure further. Maybe belly pans would have fixed that, but maybe not. I'd guess VW went for practicality over convenience.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:
A local guy here in Sacramento area has a '61 DC, where the PO replaced the hacked up, rusted original bulkhead with a walk-thru section and seats. It looks great and should have been a factory option

From the technical specs for 61 models, DCs had the lowest payload rating @ 1543 pounds. (SCs were a little more at 1764 and panels had the highest at 1830).

They all used the same brakes and transmission, so the differences must reflect what VW thought the different structures could handle.

Taking out the bulkead would have weakened the DC structure further. Maybe belly pans would have fixed that, but maybe not. I'd guess VW went for practicality over convenience.

"Weakened the DC structure" and "practicality" are not as important as looking cool, Andy hahaha, just joshin'. I hear ya, though; structural integrity is certainly important. I wonder how much weaker, if at all or measurable, a walk-thru section is/would be compared to a complete bulkhead section...

Either way, it would certainly have been a tits option, and as codename mandraks said, a smaller treasure chest on a DC would have really stroked my utilitarian cord haha.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
"Weakened the DC structure" and "practicality" are not as important as looking cool, Andy hahaha, just joshin'.

Yeah, I know. Wink

I was surprised that trucks couldn't handle as much load as a panel, until I started to think about how the load is transmitted around the body.

Anyhow, back to the walk throughs Very Happy

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

... differences must reflect what VW thought the different structures could handle.

Taking out the bulkead would have weakened the DC structure further.

287 pound range between panel & DC doesn't seem like much.

The differences in load is probably because the DC/SC load bed is higher in elevation that the cargo floor of a panel. Reduced load for SC/DC is probably for stability concerns vs. structural.

The bulkhead is perpindicular to the front / back wheels... so, it doesn't add much strength in the front to back direction (vs. walk through).
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

... differences must reflect what VW thought the different structures could handle.

Taking out the bulkead would have weakened the DC structure further.

287 pound range between panel & DC doesn't seem like much.

The differences in load is probably because the DC/SC load bed is higher in elevation that the cargo floor of a panel. Reduced load for SC/DC is probably for stability concerns vs. structural.

The bulkhead is perpindicular to the front / back wheels... so, it doesn't add much strength in the front to back direction (vs. walk through).

You guys are way overthinking this.
The different models have different weights. The maximum gross weight is the same across the model line.
max gross weight = unladen weight + payload
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

Way... like, totally dude... like... just do the math Rolling Eyes

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:

Taking out the bulkhead would have weakened the DC structure further. Maybe belly pans would have fixed that, but maybe not. I'd guess VW went for practicality over convenience.

this was a simple function of gross weight minus unladen weight.

Crewcab weighs 300 pounds more than a panel, and also more than a single cab.

gross weight is the same at 4112.

As far as structural stability goes, i think the Crew Cab is prolly as sturdy as it gets.

engineers who know please chime in. I only had 2 semesters of mechanical engineering and that was 30 some years ago Smile

Uli

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Walk throughs Reply with quote

Fair enough. I guess gross weight reflects what the brakes could handle and they are likely to be the weakest link as all body styles have the same max gross weight.

Apologies to the OP for the thread drift.

I still think a DC would be fail earlier if you loaded them all up to breaking point though.

The forward support of the load platform transmits the point load closer to the midpoint of the floor/frame in a DC than a SC, and there is no monocoque-type body structure to resist bending like a bus/van where the load also is distributed (across the floor).

I do not wish to test that hypothesis though.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: