Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stretching a VW Beetle Frame
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Stretching a VW Beetle Frame Reply with quote

Many of us have cut and shortened a VW pan for kit cars, etc. I've done 4 of them since the late 70's. However, I have never lengthened a frame. I am considering building a small pickup woods buggy with a 5 feet or so long fabricated bed on the back. Rough calculations indicate I'll have to stretch it around 20" to 24". I also want to fabricate a bracket to mount on the engine to mount a small hydraulic pump for a dump cylinder and engage it with a coil similar to how a car a/c clutch works. I've built log splitters and a hydraulic platform from the ground to the top of my garage, so I understand a little about hydraulics.

Have you done anything like this to a VW frame? Lengthening the front such as you would on building a 1934 Fraser Nash kit car. The additional length needs to be over the rear wheels. Approximately where did you cut the tunnel in order to stretch it, reinforce it, and weld it? I realize I'll have to drill out quite a few dozen spot welds and remove the bottom plate so I can replace clutch tube, accelerator cable tube and lengthen the shift shaft. Also, do you think it's be wise to add another shift shaft bushing within a foot or so from the transmission?

I'm not an engineer, so I don't know how to calculate stress points, flex requirements, etc.

Try not to tell me how crazy I am for thinking of this. I'm an old man who has owned 58 VW's in my life, built kit cars, dune buggies and a couple of sand rails, not to mention more than a couple hundred engines from mild to wild. This seems like a swan song to my VW builds.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching a VW Beetle Frame Reply with quote

It be easier to start off with two chassis, the front of one and the rear of the other, you could do it with just one weld on the tunnel then.

If it were me I'd talk to Dave Barret of manxchassis.com and get him to do a custom one, much stronger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching a VW Beetle Frame Reply with quote

Great idea on 2 chassis. Find a Super pan for the rear section as they are unwanted and cheaper. Dualies on the rear would be cool.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching a VW Beetle Frame Reply with quote

manxdavid wrote:
It be easier to start off with two chassis, the front of one and the rear of the other, you could do it with just one weld on the tunnel then.

If it were me I'd talk to Dave Barret of manxchassis.com and get him to do a custom one, much stronger.

Either of these 2 would be my choice.

Cut one just behind the shifter and one just ahead of the brake lever. seam weld the 2 together then put a splice plate inside the tunnel welded on the edges and a few button welds on each side. Then stagger the bottom plate so you would have one complete plate in the middle spanning the joint and 2 smaller pieces of the second plate filling in the ends.

brad
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stretching a VW Beetle Frame Reply with quote

drs1023 wrote:
Rough calculations indicate I'll have to stretch it around 20" to 24".

I agree with manxdavid that two pans will be the easiest way to accomplish the stretched chassis using stock VW parts.

slalombuggy wrote:
Cut one just behind the shifter and one just ahead of the brake lever.

Brad . . . I know what you meant to say, and I agree, BUT, your description of the cuts will result in the E-brake lever ending up pretty far BEHIND the seat! Wink
Correct me if I am wrong . . . To retain the stock locations of the levers, you will actually need to cut one pan behind the E-brake . . . and . . . cut the second pan ahead of the E-brake.
You will then have two rear sections and two front sections . . . splice the longer front section (with E-brake and shifter) to the longer rear section (with a second E-brake hole . . . this hole will need to be filled).
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stretching a VW Beetle Frame Reply with quote

Relocate the e-brake bracket. Very easy to do

brad
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stretching a VW Beetle Frame Reply with quote

I have done this - but only 14 inches. Used a section of tunnel but welded locating/reinforcement tabs (actually about 6X3") on the insides of the sides of the front and rear sections of the tunnel.

Keeping things aligned is important, but I did this with the pan laying on a coule 2x8s on sawhorses. Was careful checking the everything was level and measured diagonals several times before welding.

I probably did overkill by adding some braces from the torsion housing to the floor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stretching a VW Beetle Frame Reply with quote

Oh yeah - cables....Bus cables worked for me....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: